Post-Game Talk: Nice Goal, Riley

3 Stars

• Total voters

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
If Brodzinski is going to play on the 4th line, why not give him a look on the PK?

He has good speed and isn't terrible defensively.
It’s one of the more low key annoying things about the team the last couple years. Why are they so against easing the PK load on Mika/Kreider/Tro with logical bottom 6 options. Kakkos on the ice like 3 times a game and they can’t throw him out there? And people say it’s a speed thing lmao. Bonino was probably the slowest player I’ve ever seen

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I mean, Trouba really low-key is an offensive defenseman who doesn't know where his own zone is. He was that in his good years. So like, a stay-at-home defenseman should actually work with him.

The thing is, Lindgren's defense was terrible last year.
I’m finally willing to accept that Trouba will always be an offensive defenseman despite his limitations. I fought it for years. But it is what it is.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
IMG_20191127_225602.jpg

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It’s one of the more low key annoying things about the team the last couple years. Why are they so against easing the PK load on Mika/Kreider/Tro with logical bottom 6 options. Kakkos on the ice like 3 times a game and they can’t throw him out there? And people say it’s a speed thing lmao. Bonino was probably the slowest player I’ve ever seen

Just a guess but maybe it has something to do with the fact that they have the third best PK% the last 3 years? And are above average in terms of short handed goals?

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Just a guess but maybe it has something to do with the fact that they have the third best PK% the last 3 years? And are above average in terms of short handed goals?
Yeah idk. Not sure anything revolutionary is going on back there other than what’s between the pipes

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Not likely, he's a rental.
Could probably sign and trade as well.

Laf shows flashes of understanding how to do well on defense. But yeah, he’s poor defensively.

His upside though, is all time ranger goal scorer, Hockey hall of fame, and potentially playing for team Canada at the Olympics(not necessarily the next one)
I’d say he’s already “average” on the defensive side and improving. It’ll come. Just like everything else is.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Could probably sign and trade as well.

I’d say he’s already “average” on the defensive side and improving. It’ll come. Just like everything else is.
Oh he shows plenty of flashes defensively. It’s about putting in the effort. He knows how to play defense, but he’s saving his effort for the offensive zone.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If Brodzinski is going to play on the 4th line, why not give him a look on the PK?

He has good speed and isn't terrible defensively.
Simple answer is that he's not an everyday player. Plus the Rangers PK units has also been one of the better ones in the NHL so practically it will not be easy to take spots from Zibanejad, Kreider, Trocheck, Vesey (when he's back) and new comers in Smith and Carrick who have PK experience. We talked about PK ad nauseum during summer. It's pretty obvious that outside of top-4 PKer Fs, the rest is going to be largely meaningless

He's not average on D but with offensive prowess it's "acceptable"

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Oh he shows plenty of flashes defensively. It’s about putting in the effort. He knows how to play defense, but he’s saving his effort for the offensive zone.
I don't think he make good reads on a consistent basis IMO which results in what looks like an effort issue (like for example not coming back fast enough to cover) originates with not properly recognizing the situation.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Brodzinski is like duct tape. He can be put on a lot of things to hold them together, but if your machine always has duct tape in it, you should probably think about a long term fix eventually.

Frankly, I much preferred Colin Blackwell in that role, but it's whatever.

NYR NEED more from Vesey this year. He needs to get back to form

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Brodzinski is like duct tape. He can be put on a lot of things to hold them together, but if your machine always has duct tape in it, you should probably think about a long term fix eventually.

Frankly, I much preferred Colin Blackwell in that role, but it's whatever.

NYR NEED more from Vesey this year. He needs to get back to form
Blackwell almost never played that role.
He was middle 6, which is how he scored so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad