Niagara Icedogs 2024-25 Season, Part I

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How is this a surplus of picks? It's basically the bare mininum number of picks a team should have for any give draft year. There is no surplus of picks to acquire high-end talent (this year or next year) without severely crippling this franchise long term. Please take some time to get the facts before posting

ICEDOGS DRAFT CAPITAL
25: - , 3, 4, 4
26: 2, 3, 3, 4
27: 2, 3, 4, 4
28: 2, 3, 4

This is a surplus…that allow teams the flexible to add high-end talent to compete for championships if they choice to do so.

BRAMPTION DRAFT CAPITAL
25: 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5
26: 2, 2, 3, 3, 5
27: 3, 4, 5, 5
28: 2, 2, 5

BRANTFORD DRAFT CAPITAL
25: -, 3
26: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5
27: 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5
28: 3, 4, 5

KINGSTON DRAFT CAPITAL
25: -, 3, 4, 5
26: 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5
27: 2, 3, 5, 5
28: 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4

SUBBURY DRAFT CAPITAL
25: 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5
26: 3, 3, 4, 5, 5
27: 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 5
28: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5

Niagara has 3-2nds, 6-3rds, 6-4ths, 2-5ths, 6-6ths over 4 years; that is a slight pick surplus.
The IceDogs will graduate 3-OAs and one ‘05 from the current line up. Frasca and Humphries and Hotles step in next season. The near future of the team has in no way been compromised.

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Niagara has 3-2nds, 6-3rds, 6-4ths, 2-5ths, 6-6ths over 4 years; that is a slight pick surplus.
LOL. Thanks for confirming my point! We can safely exit this conversation.

It's basically the bare mininum number of picks a team should have for any given draft year. There is no surplus of picks to acquire high-end talent (this year or next year) without severely crippling this franchise long term.

ACTUAL SURPLUS in the EAST! Brampton, Brantford, Kingston, Sudbury and the teams that plan to put themselves in a surplus situation at some point this season are North Bay and Ottawa

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
3-2nds, 6-3rds, 6-4ths, 2-5ths, 6-6ths is 3 extra picks over four years. That is a slight pick surplus.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
3-2nds, 6-3rds, 6-4ths, 2-5ths, 6-6ths is 3 extra picks over four years. That is a slight pick surplus.
What is a team with a VERY slight surplus do up against teams with actual surplus (this year and next year). How in the world is this even being referenced BY YOU ONLY as a positive for this organization!!!

What you call a “slight surplus” most would call “a few picks over the bare minimum required” to conduct a proper draft

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsportsfan

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
As an IceDogs fan for IceDog fans, my posts are candid factual information, either from very reliable sources or research. The information can be both positive or negative. Not often but occasionally I will post opinions (e.g., NVV) but the majority of my posts are embedded and based on factual information.

I can respect that there are some IceDog fans that prefer the discussion or information shared to be solely positive in nature. However, my intent is to present information to further educate a loyal IceDog fan base regarding on and off issues, regardless if it’s flattering or non-flattering.

For fans that don’t want to read that information shared, analyse of trades (past and present), roster construct, long vs short range planning, etc…my suggestion would be to place the cursor over my name and click the ignore button. This site allows individuals to filter the comments they prefer to read.

Over the last few months, I’ve posted both sides of the discussion regarding areas of concern around a franchise IceDog fans care about.

Negative
<>ownership (cost cutting measures)
<>majority of DDD’s trades
<>asset management
<>lack of long range plan
<>inability to recruit imports (and other players)
<>05s (exception of Wyscik)
<>play of the D thus far in the 24-25 season
<>game during NFL Sunday

Positive
<>entire coaching staff (led by Ben Boudreau, one of this leagues best coaches)
<>07s and 08s players (a few exciting players)
<>Kevin He. Wow!!! Flores!
<>IceDogs will make the playoffs (a pre-season prediction)
<>very small number of DDD’s trades
<>games on Saturday (and the local Niagara night out experience)
<>play of the G and top 6 F thus far in the 24-25 season
<>knowledgeable IceDogs fan base

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What is a team with a VERY slight surplus do up against teams with actual surplus (this year and next year). How in the world is this even being referenced BY YOU ONLY as a positive for this organization!!!

The IceDogs are a competitive and still improving team that will return 16 players in the current line up next season; plus, at least 3-‘08s in Humphries, Frasca, and Hotles. I would expect an ‘09-1st and at least one import as well.
A slight pick surplus is not a negative.

• Haha
Reactions: Sam14

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
As an IceDogs fan for IceDog fans, my posts are candid factual information, either from very reliable sources or research. The information can be both positive or negative. Not often but occasionally I will post opinions (e.g., NVV) but the majority of my posts are embedded and based on factual information.

I can respect that there are some IceDog fans that prefer the discussion or information shared to be solely positive in nature. However, my intent is to present information to further educate a loyal IceDog fan base regarding on and off issues, regardless if it’s flattering or non-flattering.

For fans that don’t want to read that information shared, analyse of trades (past and present), roster construct, long vs short range planning, etc…my suggestion would be to place the cursor over my name and click the ignore button. This site allows individuals to filter the comments they prefer to read.

Over the last few months, I’ve posted both sides of the discussion regarding areas of concern around a franchise IceDog fans care about.

Negative
<>ownership (cost cutting measures)
<>majority of DDD’s trades
<>asset management
<>lack of long range plan
<>inability to recruit imports (and other players)
<>05s (exception of Wyscik)
<>play of the D thus far in the 24-25 season
<>game during NFL Sunday

Positive
<>entire coaching staff (led by Ben Boudreau, one of this leagues best coaches)
<>07s and 08s players (a few exciting players)
<>Kevin He. Wow!!! Flores!
<>IceDogs will make the playoffs (a pre-season prediction)
<>very small number of DDD’s trades
<>games on Saturday (and the local Niagara night out experience)
<>play of the G and top 6 F thus far in the 24-25 season
<>knowledgeable IceDogs fan base
I understand and appreciate the way you have expressed yourself in this post. It is informative and significantly less confrontational.

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
How is this a surplus of picks? It's basically the bare mininum number of picks a team should have for any give draft year. There is no surplus of picks to acquire high-end talent (this year or next year) without severely crippling this franchise long term. Please take some time to get the facts before posting

ICEDOGS DRAFT CAPITAL
25: - , 3, 4, 4
26: 2, 3, 3, 4
27: 2, 3, 4, 4
28: 2, 3, 4

This is a surplus…that allow teams the flexible to add high-end talent to compete for championships if they choice to do so.

BRAMPTION DRAFT CAPITAL
25: 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5
26: 2, 2, 3, 3, 5
27: 3, 4, 5, 5
28: 2, 2, 5

BRANTFORD DRAFT CAPITAL
25: -, 3
26: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5
27: 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5
28: 3, 4, 5

KINGSTON DRAFT CAPITAL
25: -, 3, 4, 5
26: 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5
27: 2, 3, 5, 5
28: 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4

SUBBURY DRAFT CAPITAL
25: 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5
26: 3, 3, 4, 5, 5
27: 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 5
28: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5
Does Niagara even have a third this year? I know on the data base it has a * next to it but I’m not sure if the conditions were met or not as for the other teams although I agree with you they’re in a much better spot let’s wait till after the deadline cause some of those picks will move

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Does Niagara even have a third this year? I know on the data base it has a * next to it but I’m not sure if the conditions were met or not as for the other teams although I agree with you they’re in a much better spot let’s wait till after the deadline cause some of those picks will move

That 3rd does belong to Niagara as Zito playing in his OA season met that condition.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
I’m not sure if the conditions were meet in the initial Zito trade. He did play a few games in his OA season with Windsor, just unsure if he played enough for the IDs to retain that pick. I’ll see if I can find out. That would really hurt if they don’t have that pick since they are already without a 2025 2nd.

Also, if the icedogs retain the 3rd from zito in 25 they would then lose a 4th in 25 to windsor as a result

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’m not sure if the conditions were meet in the initial Zito trade. He did play a few games in his OA season with Windsor, just unsure if he played enough for the IDs to retain that pick. I’ll see if I can find out. That would really hurt if they don’t have that pick since they are already without a 2025 2nd.

Also, if the icedogs retain the 3rd from zito in 25 they would then lose a 4th in 25 to windsor as a result

It was a Niagara ‘25-5th already showing as part of Windsor’s picks

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Do you guys really think Ben is one of the best coaches in the league?
Never heard that one before.
Not sure if my comment represents all IceDog fans on here. It is little bit of a “personal bias” on my part, but nonetheless, I feel strongly that he is “one” of the best coaches in the OHL. He will get his opportunity to prove himself to be that over the next few years forced to produce winning teams with a pretty significant DDD hockey ops handicap to overcome.

Last edited:

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Not sure if my comment represents all IceDog fans on here. It is little bit of a “personal bias” on my part, but nonetheless, I feel strongly that he is “one” of the best coaches in the OHL. He will get his opportunity to prove himself to be that over the next few years forced to produce winning teams with a pretty significant DDD hockey ops handicap to overcome.
Winning the kelly cup was a nice accomplishment but he has not proven anything in JR hockey to get that tag yet in the OHL.
It's pretty rare you see a JR coach singling players out to the media like he does.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Winning the kelly cup was a nice accomplishment but he has not proven anything in JR hockey to get that tag yet in the OHL.
It's pretty rare you see a JR coach singling players out to the media like he does.
I'm not a fan of this. Keep that between you and the players. Defend them publicly

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
He’s extremely transparent and pretty blunt (on and off the record) but the players do like and respect him.

But as I said (IMO), “It is little bit of a “personal bias” on my part, but nonetheless, I feel strongly that he is “one” of the best coaches in the OHL. He will get his opportunity to prove himself to be that over the next few years…”

Nothing more to my comment other than that.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Even more is hearing a coach call-out management in the media for failing to provide him players. Management got him three upgrades on defence in the off-season, so whatever gets results

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad