NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

Reaser

May 19, 2021
The Western Conference game being at 1:30pm local time is certainly a choice. Choosing 2 teams that didnt make the playoffs last year, also a choice.

The late game being Lottery Chicago vs Relocated ArizUtah Coyockey Club is also an interesting choice

Could see Chicago @ Utah ESPN opening night coming a mile away. Not that it makes it a great matchup, but seemed pretty obvious in advance. I had that a week ago, well I had Colorado or Chicago @ Utah but figured Avs-VGK for TNT opener since TNT always has the Avs in the late game, which is exactly how that played out.

Blues-Kraken is absurd, for all the reasons. ESPN's want for an opening day/night tripleheader.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Couple things that stood out:

-- Tuesday October 22 is clearly another Frozen Frenzy (presumably with ESPN tripleheader and Frozen Frenzy on espn2 again.)

-- Bruins aren't playing at their traditional matinee 1pmET time on Black Friday. Hosting the Pens at 6pmET which obviously makes that a TNT game.

-- I have ABC projected at 20 Saturday games. But that includes the Stadium Series which doesn't have a time yet (Sportsnet has it listed at 6pmET but master schedule and ESPN have it TBD) and also includes a final Saturday of the regular season tripleheader that they've been doing but that'd make Utah-Dallas the primetime game which would be an odd choice. Also is the week before Easter so ABC could be doing their traditional airing of the Ten Commandments that night. Regardless, based on dates/times, ABC looks to have a similar Saturday regular season NHL schedule to last year (19 games.)

-- Regular season ends on a Thursday again. This past season the networks decided late that they wanted playoff games that weekend which made for a mess for Game 1s scheduling. Advance notice this time but still doing the same schedule, ha.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
The Amazon Monday Night games are a prelude imo to them getting exclusive rights to games in both US and Canada in the future. It’s a very unique and forward thinking media deal that the NHL won’t pass up with the money and reach they have.

I said similar a few weeks ago on X (twitter). A cross-border package on Monday nights. It makes too much sense.

I even went into scheduling, speculating that it'd make sense to do all matchups CAN based team v. U.S. based team. Which was interesting to see when the Prime MNH schedule came out today that 21 of their 26 games were like that, or only 5 All-Canadian matchups.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
The Western Conference game being at 1:30pm local time is certainly a choice. Choosing 2 teams that didnt make the playoffs last year, also a choice.

The late game being Lottery Chicago vs Relocated ArizUtah Coyockey Club is also an interesting choice
I actually expected more a Blackhawks v Sharks game than Utah for opening week but the 7PM game will be big

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I said similar a few weeks ago on X (twitter). A cross-border package on Monday nights. It makes too much sense.

I even went into scheduling, speculating that it'd make sense to do all matchups CAN based team v. U.S. based team. Which was interesting to see when the Prime MNH schedule came out today that 21 of their 26 games were like that, or only 5 All-Canadian matchups.
That's actually a decrease in the number US-CAN games compared to this past season. Looking at Sportsnet's national schedule for 23-24, I count 25 CAN-US games and only 1 CAN-CAN game. Here's the link:

Reaser

May 19, 2021
That's actually a decrease in the number US-CAN games compared to this past season. Looking at Sportsnet's national schedule for 23-24, I count 25 CAN-US games and only 1 CAN-CAN game. Here's the link:

Yeah, I was talking about the hypothetical -but certainly possible- future of an exclusive say roughly 25-games or so worldwide rights Prime MNH package. Since it'd be born out of the Canadian MNH package it'd make sense to have each game feature a Canadian team. For numerous reasons, including that it'd do better on/in 'Prime Canada' during MNF season.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yeah, I was talking about the hypothetical -but certainly possible- future of an exclusive say roughly 25-games or so worldwide rights Prime MNH package. Since it'd be born out of the Canadian MNH package it'd make sense to have each game feature a Canadian team. For numerous reasons, including that it'd do better on/in 'Prime Canada' during MNF season.
Your post was talking about the schedule for Prime this year had only 5 CAN-CAN games which felt like you were saying that this was a significant decrease and I was just pointing out that it was actually an increase in CAN-CAN games.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
-CANADA-

NHL Draft Round 1 Viewership

SN: 499k

With the 391k on TVAS Canada had an AMA of 890k for Friday night's draft coverage.

With 502k on ESPN in the U.S. that makes for a combined North America average audience of 1.392M for Round 1 of the 2024 NHL Draft.

masa2009

May 11, 2011
Why is the francophone audience number so close to the anglophone one? Just pick orders or is it in line with usual tends?

Last edited:

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Why is the francophone audience number so close to the anglophone one? Just pick orders or is it in line with usual tends?

Presumably because Montreal picked 5th, Ottawa 7th, Calgary 9th and then the rest of the Canadian-based teams were slotted to be selecting in the last 1/3rd-to-end of the round.

Plus it was Friday night, the Blue Jays were playing (pull a # in English, not so much in French,) more people watched the Argos-Als in English than French, and even though Canada wasn't playing that night there was Copa America matches and that tournament has apparently been doing well viewership wise in Canada (as has Euro 2024 though that's during the day.)

I don't know, but those are the potential reasoning's that came to mind.

edit: I didn't see your edit until after I replied. Where you added "pick orders" so basically speculated the same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Could see Chicago @ Utah ESPN opening night coming a mile away. Not that it makes it a great matchup, but seemed pretty obvious in advance. I had that a week ago, well I had Colorado or Chicago @ Utah but figured Avs-VGK for TNT opener since TNT always has the Avs in the late game, which is exactly how that played out.

Blues-Kraken is absurd, for all the reasons. ESPN's want for an opening day/night tripleheader.
I guess I get it for Utah. Its bound to be a high viewership game just due to it being opening night anyway, why not get one of their exclusive games out of the way. I also feel, like with Vegas, the "newness" will attract more casual viewers

Reactions: Reaser

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
The Amazon Monday Night games are a prelude imo to them getting exclusive rights to games in both US and Canada in the future. It’s a very unique and forward thinking media deal that the NHL won’t pass up with the money and reach they have.
You really think the NHL would/will give Amazon all of their media rights?

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Amazon can have the right but they will just use Sportsnet staff/talents and just put a amazon background and logos, nothing will change much except that you will have to pay 11$ for you amazon prime and then 20$ more to have access to their hockey content pretty much like Apple. I don't think they will go into the next contract as it would only be for Canadian market since USA are not into hockey and Canadian market loose money because the last contract was way too much. If the NHL goes streaming way right now it wouldn't be good for their rating. They should wait another TV contract.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
You really think the NHL would/will give Amazon all of their media rights?
No, I’m expecting a third package (in the US) for Amazon to get games much like the rumored NBA media rights deal. In Canada, that Amazon and likely Sportsnet will share the rights. Amazon has the money, reach, and influence and NHL will be fine to be a part of Prime Video. This Monday night is a test run for a future deal

Reaser

May 19, 2021
No, I’m expecting a third package (in the US) for Amazon to get games much like the rumored NBA media rights deal. In Canada, that Amazon and likely Sportsnet will share the rights. Amazon has the money, reach, and influence and NHL will be fine to be a part of Prime Video. This Monday night is a test run for a future deal

Yup, that's what I was saying a couple weeks ago on "X" discussing w/forum members here on that platform. Only difference is I think it'll be a third package in both Canada and the U.S. since I still believe Canada will be split with TSN and SN (e.g. something like TSN gets WNH and SN keeps HNIC) with the streaming package on Prime.

With Amazon's deal having language for a U.S. bid and/or them 'buying' 25 or so games off of Disney/WBD to start the package right away instead of having to wait until 2028/29 season in the U.S.. As mentioned previously, also why I said it'd make sense for games to primarily be scheduled CAN-based team v. U.S.-based team since it'd be born out of a CAN package and less U.S. appearances towards U.S.-based teams exclusive limit -- keeps non-exclusive games down and keeps the premium NYR-BOS type games part of the U.S.-only packages

Also believe Disney and WBD will be straightforward renewals. Think we're another deal away from things getting crazy so a psuedo-bridge deal up next. The deal before the' deal, as it were.

Regardless, come 2028/29 I projected the natonal broadcast schedules to roughly look like:

MNH: Amazon (U.S./CAN/'worldwide' rights)

WNH: TNT (U.S.) TSN (CAN)

FNH: ESPN/ESPN+ (U.S. / *part wishful thinking for FRI but former NBA dates expected to be available)

HNIC: SN (CAN)

Weekends post-football season: ABC (U.S. Sat/hopefully Sun* NBA deal details dependent) TNT (U.S. Sun)

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
You should probably learn what the term "exclusive rights" means then

Indycar has exclusive rights with NBC, meaning every race is on an NBC channel/streaming outlet.

Amazon having a third rights package along with TNT and ESPN would not be "exclusive" by definition

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
You should probably learn what the term "exclusive rights" means then

Indycar has exclusive rights with NBC, meaning every race is on an NBC channel/streaming outlet.

Amazon having a third rights package along with TNT and ESPN would not be "exclusive" by definition

What are you talking about, @Reaser and I are merely speculating that Monday Night games exclusive to Canada are a test run for them to possibly get outright exclusively in the US and Canada. That won’t happen until both deals are up for renew. We are just spitballing and discussing the possibilities of that in the future. We know Amazon isn’t gonna to be a factor in the current US deal.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Well, based on today's reports ESPN isn't quite downsizing their NBA schedule as media had been reporting the last few months. Less games but not losing their weeknights.

Apparently they WILL still have Friday, it just won't start until after football season. Which college football can easily fill the usual football-season Friday NBA slots. So, was wishful thinking to start with but now can probably take the possibility of a consistent NHL 'day' on ESPN off the board.

Funny that the most consistent -excluding ABC Hockey Saturday- part of the linear ESPN schedule has been/is the Tuesdays in October, before going a month with no linear games. Including ESPN+, October is the only month last season ESPN+ had a game on the same weekday every week of the month (Thursday) as well. So the first month of the season, Tuesday ESPN, Thursday ESPN+ (and a random Thursday ESPN game & random Friday ESPN+ game) ... after that, any day (except WED) of any week or any month will or won't (majority won't) have any games. Missing the "destination viewing" there.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I am kind of curious about how much longer will streaming services will continue be able to geoblock countries with how interconnected our world is now.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Well, based on today's reports ESPN isn't quite downsizing their NBA schedule as media had been reporting the last few months. Less games but not losing their weeknights.

Apparently they WILL still have Friday, it just won't start until after football season. Which college football can easily fill the usual football-season Friday NBA slots. So, was wishful thinking to start with but now can probably take the possibility of a consistent NHL 'day' on ESPN off the board.

Funny that the most consistent -excluding ABC Hockey Saturday- part of the linear ESPN schedule has been/is the Tuesdays in October, before going a month with no linear games. Including ESPN+, October is the only month last season ESPN+ had a game on the same weekday every week of the month (Thursday) as well. So the first month of the season, Tuesday ESPN, Thursday ESPN+ (and a random Thursday ESPN game & random Friday ESPN+ game) ... after that, any day (except WED) of any week or any month will or won't (majority won't) have any games. Missing the "destination viewing" there.
You aint kidding. I always have the tvs at my bar turned to TNT on Wednesdays and Sunday nights. With ESPN its basically throwing darts if a game will be on or not. Thank god the Jackets have figured out the Bally stuff. Im not dropping $120 a year to stream just the Blue Jackets, sorry

I am kind of curious about how much longer will streaming services will continue be able to geoblock countries with how interconnected our world is now.
I doubt that ever changes. Although most of the geoblocking is due rights disputes. Like, when F1 was on NBC sports, someone from the UK couldnt watch their highlights/debrief because Sky has those rights over there. Stuff like that. Rights issues for sports and comic book companies are always a fun little rabbit hole

Reaser

May 19, 2021
You aint kidding. I always have the tvs at my bar turned to TNT on Wednesdays and Sunday nights. With ESPN its basically throwing darts if a game will be on or not. Thank god the Jackets have figured out the Bally stuff. Im not dropping $120 a year to stream just the Blue Jackets, sorry

Exactly.

The argument is usually that ESPN & ESPN+ combined will have most of their games on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Said as if it's consistent scheduling.

Putting aside that those are literally the two worst days to have national games, it's still not an every week thing, let alone consistent time slots, or linear or streaming, etc.. e.g. of the 28 Thursdays during the 2023/24 regular season 22 Thursdays had games on ESPN or ESPN+, or both. 10 of 28 Thursdays last season had at least one game on ESPN. That's not an every week thing and ESPN & ESPN+ are, obviously, different things.

Otherwise ESPN had games on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and a game each on Friday and Sunday. While ESPN+ had games on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and a random game on a Monday.

That's why I was hoping for Friday. Whether it was ESPN, + or mix of both (DH with one on each, each Friday?) in theory it could have been, "oh, it's Friday, there will be games on ESPN and/or ESPN+" in the similar vein of, "oh, it's Wednesday, NHL on TNT tonight!"

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
My goodness, I clearly explained that a future Amazon package would be in addition to the current A and B package in the US. I meant exclusive games as in a package of games, not the whole pie of media rights in the US.
Too bad that "whole pie" is exactly what Exclusive rights means. If you just meant a rights package, then just say that. For f***s sake, hence why I said
"maybe you should look up the definition of what exclusive rights means"

Your articulation is the problem, not my comprehension

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad