Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] D Brock Faber signs extension with the Wild (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
If he wins a norris or something, maybe you pay him 10m. If he sucks, your stuck with an absolute albatross contract. Doesnt really make sense to me. Contracts like this make me wonder if any negotiation even happened. What number could Faber have possibly started at to eventually settle at 8.5m.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If he wins a norris or something, maybe you pay him 10m. If he sucks, your stuck with an absolute albatross contract. Doesnt really make sense to me. Contracts like this make me wonder if any negotiation even happened. What number could Faber have possibly started at to eventually settle at 8.5m.
Probably $8.51M

We'll do this again:

In the fall of 2023 (less than a year ago), Jake Sanderson signed for 8 years at 9.6% of the current cap at the time and Owen Power signed for 8 years at 10% of the current cap at the time. Cap at the time was $83.5M.

9.6% of the current $88M cap would be $8.48M; 10% of the current cap would be $8.80M. So you can realistically say that those numbers should be ceiling and floor of his negotiations. And crazily enough, he ended up between those two numbers.

Last edited:

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Man some of the takes here are hideous. Faber will be the #1 defenceman on the wild for at least the 1st 5 years of this contract and will be top pairing for the duration of the contract. 8.5 for an all situation dman that has the potential to crack 60-70 points every year is a very high commodity. Congrats Minnesota on a very nice piece of business.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think anyone that's really followed his trajectory is surprised, the guy had exponential growth at every level and his baseline is as 'sure-thing' as they come even if he were to add nothing more to his game. I hadn't even thought of the comparisons to Sanderson and Power before this thread, I like that.

I can understand the rest of the folks being like 'after one year?!?' though.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Man some of the takes here are hideous. Faber will be the #1 defenceman on the wild for at least the 1st 5 years of this contract and will be top pairing for the duration of the contract. 8.5 for an all situation dman that has the potential to crack 60-70 points every year is a very high commodity. Congrats Minnesota on a very nice piece of business.
The arguments against this contract are bananas. Sure... there's a bit of risk, but way more upside.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Season was really good tho

Yep. Going to be amazing towards the back half of it

Is it amazing though if they have to wait 4 years for the contract to turn amazing?

It's a lot for a guy who's had 1 year. If continues to improve, he'll be paid approximately right around where he should be getting paid ( Heiskanen, Sergechev, Pietrangelo money ) in the top 15 for salaries.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'd have to look back, but I wonder if folks were saying the same thing about Seth Jones and Darnell Nurse when they signed their deals that are now universally hated.
Seth Jones contract was universally hated st the time it was signed if I remember correctly.

Reactions: MXD

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Wild are betting he will be this good or better in 3 years when he would likely off a bridge and are betting the cap will be higher.

If both happen then ya, a decent deal for a top pair guy, term in particular.

As noted it could be rough if he falls off.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Great deal. Even if he doesn't improve a whit, it'll still be fair value now and good value as the cap rises. I guess it's possible that he peaked in his rookie season at 21, but seems unlikely.
I notice a trend in these threads for very young players signing big contracts. The home team fans are usually 100% happy with it, while a big chunk of the rest moan about how awful and risky it is. I'll trust the home fans that actually watch the player.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I don't like these contracts after just one year.
He in particular looks pretty much a safe thing but still so much money given. Anyways, should be well worth this contract

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If Ekblad hadn’t broken his foot, knee and ankle, nobody would complain about his contract. It didn’t become an anchor because he wasn’t awesome when younger, it became an anchor because his body failed him and turned him into a shell of what he was becoming.

Injury is an inherent risk in any long-term deal. Faber does play a much more nuanced game than Ekblad which puts him at less risk. He’s got incredible skating and a really, really strong base and plays more like a Slavin with his positioning and stick work than an Ekblad. Doesn’t mean he can’t or won’t get hurt but we might as well say every long-term deal is bad if Ekblad’s injury history is anything to go off of.

Poor and lazy comp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad