NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
at the end of the game, i wasn't satisfied at all with the outcome. First of all, it wasn't even an exciting game. I found it very defensive and not much room out there. It was very low scoring and there weren't that many quality scoring chances at all. But i am happy it was at least close all game and not a blowout.

But i keep thinking of this. IF mcdavid scored that open net chance, we'd have had a 2-2 OT game. Can u imagine the amount of viewers we'd have had if it goes to gm7 OT? or even double OT.. everyone would see that and keep the channel there. many ppl would fall asleep with the tv on if it went to double OT. instead of 7.7M, we'd have gotten 10M+ easily..

so even with a low scoring defensive game and mcdavid not to be found, except falling on his ass each time, 7.7M is damn good, but it could've been way better. Too bad it wasn't 5-4 instead of 2-1. I wanted the casual viewers to see a lot of goals and see McDavid with 4 pts instead of 0. What a great thing for NHL if he had the game of his life in front of the world after all the hype about him.. He was terrible in gm7

Reaser

May 19, 2021
-U.S. 2023/24 average viewership-

For the 201 combined regular season (113) & Stanley Cup Playoff (88) games nationally broadcast in the U.S. this past season the average viewership was 965k

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
One writer made a point with this years game 7 versus others more recently. Those had an Original Six franchise in them. This had an expansion team from the mid 1990s. Let’s face it, those teams along with a couple of others do get higher ratings and get invited to more Winter Classics and Stadium Series than the others. So a lower US rating is to be expected

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
One writer made a point with this years game 7 versus others more recently. Those had an Original Six franchise in them. This had an expansion team from the mid 1990s. Let’s face it, those teams along with a couple of others do get higher ratings and get invited to more Winter Classics and Stadium Series than the others. So a lower US rating is to be expected
That is pretty much common knowledge.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
So I guess the bad news is south Florida, despite all the Panthers' recent success, remains largely apathetic... Those numbers really do suck. The better (and bigger?) news is despite one market being out of country, and the other being relatively indifferent, the Finals still managed to pull, by the NHL's standards, respectable US numbers. Given that viewers had to be coming from somewhere, I think this SC Finals should be considered a win for the league, which usually struggles to draw neutral and casual fans.

EDIT: Looking at the game by game numbers, I suppose it's really game 7 that dragged the series average to something decent, but still, all things considered I think the league (and Disney) should by happy. :dunno:

Last edited:

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

Thats roughly 190,000 people from the 3 Florida markets listed, correct?

Wonder what the peak was?
39th largest media market averaging a 6.9 and the 17th largest media market averaging a 6.2 for their team in the championship series is kind of wack.

Lots of people were crapping on Tampa for averaging a 12.5 for the 22 finals, and Tampa is a larger media market than Miami

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
I did see Buffalo had a 10.4 rating for game 7. That would mean the city was a 4.6 through 6 games. Using that twisted logic Miami and West Palm Beach would be about a 15 rating or a little higher for game 7. Also, the share might be a 35-40. Meaning of the TV's turned on in southern Florida over a third were watching the game locally. All guesses on my part. If Buffalo had a 10.4 the information must be out there somewhere.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I did see Buffalo had a 10.4 rating for game 7. That would mean the city was a 4.6 through 6 games. Using that twisted logic Miami and West Palm Beach would be about a 15 rating or a little higher for game 7. Also, the share might be a 35-40. Meaning of the TV's turned on in southern Florida over a third were watching the game locally. All guesses on my part. If Buffalo had a 10.4 the information must be out there somewhere.
Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad