NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The league has to do something about these small and/or non traditional markets advancing too far and nosediving the ratings. We could have had the biggest market against the best player. Now we’re stuck with this. Brutal.
Lmao, brutal take, ya let’s make a rule those teams can’t win, possibly think before submitting post or smoke another one.

Last edited:

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Lmao, brutal take, ya let’s make a rule those teams can’t win, possibly think before submitting post or smoke another one.
i like that rule.... Every yr we have to sweat it out to see if CAR, NSH, OTT, CLG, WIN, ANA, CMB will be in the SCF.. it's stressful.

We need to always make sure NYR, BOS, CHI, PHI, DET, PIT are alwys there til the end.

BTW, i dont know why ppl are all saying EDM/FLA will get better ratings in US than DAL/FLA.

I don't think americans care about the no personality McDavid.. IF Dal gets there, maybe Texas will come up with massive #s and start paying attention. I'd rather have the #5 biggest US market there than EDM, where 98.47% of americans don't even know where EDM is.

Am i wrong to think DAL would do better in US ratings than EDM?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
i like that rule.... Every yr we have to sweat it out to see if CAR, NSH, OTT, CLG, WIN, ANA, CMB will be in the SCF.. it's stressful.

We need to always make sure NYR, BOS, CHI, PHI, DET, PIT are alwys there til the end.
Lmao, another ridiculous take, real fans cheer for the best teams to make the finals,

Name one sports league that says only certain teams can advance to win a championship, HFB will wait for your answer, but the the website won’t exist before you ever find one to post lol.

Really appreciate the laugh though for the suggestion, at least you have a sense of humour.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You lot seriously care too much about which teams make the progressing series. Yes a Final of Chicago vs New York would probably set rating records, but we have zero power behind who makes the games. We don't play them, we are just third-party people using the power of observation. I would not be so worried, stressed, or angry when some teams lose. That's just sports, all I want is progression in ratings, for how little or big it may be, 2% increase in progression is still progression as a random example. No sport isn't going to get a 15% increase in ratings over a couple of seasons, you see more of 3% one season, then 2% the next, and then 4% the other after that.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

BTW, i dont know why ppl are all saying EDM/FLA will get better ratings in US than DAL/FLA.

I don't think americans care about the no personality McDavid.. IF Dal gets there, maybe Texas will come up with massive #s and start paying attention. I'd rather have the #5 biggest US market there than EDM, where 98.47% of americans don't even know where EDM is.

98.47% of hockey fans don’t even care about this argument.

I agree this is going to be a relatively low rated series, but ESPN will find a way to hype up the possibility of the best player in the league bringing the Cup back to Canada and without the Heat in the finals, there is always the opportunity for some bandwagon eyeballs from the Miami area. Ultimately, as long as it’s not Florida versus Anaheim every single year, this is an aberration and it’s fine.

I know it’s BOH, but some of you worry way more about the ratings than the actual hockey being played on the ice and I think you are way losing touch with what normal sports fans think and talk about at this point

Last edited:

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

First paragraph is the dumbest thing Ive ever read in my entire life

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
The nhl is probably worried right now
Why would that be? They have 4 more years on their contract, and people in the industry still think they are being underpaid for their american tv contract. They just spent the last 3 years setting ratings records for Rogers in Canada, and will re-up for a raise in that country as well.

So tell me, why would the league be worried?

College Football
Thats not a "sports league" but good try

Reactions: Bixby Snyder

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
98.47% of hockey fans don’t even care about this argument.

I agree this is going to be a relatively low ratings series, but ESPN will find a way to hype up the possibility of the best player in the league bringing the Cup back to Canada and without the heat in the finals, there is always the opportunity for some bandwagon eyeballs from the Miami area. Ultimately, as long as it’s not Florida versus Anaheim every single year, this is an aberration and it’s fine.

I know it’s BOH, but some of you worry way more about the ratings than the actual hockey being played on the ice and I think you are way losing touch with what normal sports fans think and talk about at this point
I always find it best to look at post histories before responding. This is this particular poster's schtick everytime he contributes.

"Imagine if New York and LA went to the finals and it went to a game 7?"

Like, is a game 7 between the two biggest media markets really an accurate portrayal of how popular the sport is in this country?

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
boys, it happens in every sport where the league wants its biggest teams to go far. Just look at the NBA this yr. When IND beat NYK in gm7, the whole panel were actually crying real tears. That cost ABC big ratings seeing IND instead of NYK.. and NBA is so popular in US too.. u'd think they shouldn't care, but they did. It was so obvious.

U guys don't think ABC is so happy the celtics are in the finals? Imagine if IND beat them and MIN beat DAL. we'd have a MIN/IND nba final and they'd be miserable now..

So this is normal for some of us to be upset. Hockey needs all the help it can get and coming so close to getting NYR/BOS conf final. It would've had close to 7M viewers in a game 7..

we almost had it. It looked so promising. 2 weeks ago with 3 of the 4 CDN teams out and Nash and Car out. and bos was up 2-1 over florida. and then it all fell apart.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Considering this year WCF is outrating last year’s is a good sign imo that the SCF rating will be better. Also, ABC>TNT in terms of reach and also promotion with NBA Finals also on ABC. So if it averages 3 million viewers that’s a decent number.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think more American casual hockey fans care about the idea of a Canadian team winning than any of you give them credit for. I think everyone is scarred by ratings disasters in the mid 2000s, but that was before Canada‘s losing streak hit 30+ years.

Also, Edmonton might be a small market with relatively low name recognition but anyone who knows anything about hockey knows what the Oilers are because of Gretzky. They aren’t the Winnipeg Jets or the Ottawa Senators.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I think more American casual hockey fans care about the idea of a Canadian team winning than any of you give them credit for. I think everyone is scarred by ratings disasters in the mid 2000s, but that was before Canada‘s losing streak hit 30+ years.

Also, Edmonton might be a small market with relatively low name recognition but anyone who knows anything about hockey knows what the Oilers are because of Gretzky. They aren’t the Winnipeg Jets or the Ottawa Senatnn

Last edited:

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

Also, Edmonton might be a small market with relatively low name recognition but anyone who knows anything about hockey knows what the Oilers are because of Gretzky. They aren’t the Winnipeg Jets or the Ottawa Senators.
Edmonton-Carolina was a very poorly rated series. 3rd lowest rated game 5 of all time, second lowest rated game 6 of all time, lowest rated game 7 on broadcast of all time (apparently Oilers-Flyers game 7 in 87 was the worst ever, but that was on ESPN. It also involves the Oilers, so not completely irrelevant to the argument)

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
If the series goes 6 games I am predicting (guessing) an average of 3.5 million viewers. If it goes 7 game 7 will be in the 7.5 to 8 million range and will bump up the average to close to 4 million. The Avalanche/Lightning Stanley Cup final averaged 4.6 million on ABC as a comparison.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Edmonton-Carolina was a very poorly rated series. 3rd lowest rated game 5 of all time, second lowest rated game 6 of all time, lowest rated game 7 on broadcast of all time (apparently Oilers-Flyers game 7 in 87 was the worst ever, but that was on ESPN. It also involves the Oilers, so not completely irrelevant to the argument)
I mean the NHL itself was probably at its nadir of popularity after the lockout.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Knowing some of the stuff that has been considered "Trolling" on HF, it's amazing to me how certain posters in this thread can continuously troll for pages and pages over an entire season and get away with it.

The nhl is probably worried right now

I mean, they have the best player since Gretzky finally in an SCF and have to worry about ratings because of they shitty job they have done promoting him.

That's their fault.

EDIT: This reply has nothing to do with my comment above. That had nothing to do with you. They both just got merged.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I mean the NHL itself was probably at its nadir of popularity after the lockout.
Back to back Wings/Pens SCFs really brought it out of the gutter. Then Chicago/LA/NYR/BOS all heating up allowed it to take flight.

Been cooling off the last few years because the NHL has no idea how to promote teams or players and just relies on the market to drive the rating.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

if you were born the day that series ended, congratulations on your high school graduation and your upcoming 18th birthday. We are talking about datapoints old enough to start college in the fall.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
boys, it happens in every sport where the league wants its biggest teams to go far. Just look at the NBA this yr. When IND beat NYK in gm7, the whole panel were actually crying real tears. That cost ABC big ratings seeing IND instead of NYK.. and NBA is so popular in US too.. u'd think they shouldn't care, but they did. It was so obvious.

U guys don't think ABC is so happy the celtics are in the finals? Imagine if IND beat them and MIN beat DAL. we'd have a MIN/IND nba final and they'd be miserable now..

So this is normal for some of us to be upset. Hockey needs all the help it can get and coming so close to getting NYR/BOS conf final. It would've had close to 7M viewers in a game 7..

we almost had it. It looked so promising. 2 weeks ago with 3 of the 4 CDN teams out and Nash and Car out. and bos was up 2-1 over florida. and then it all fell apart.Low ratings for the nba still blowsout

the nhl created this problem with there terrible marketing and the Canadian good ole boy mentality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad