NHL.TV / Center Ice / ESPN+ Discussion - Part IV [See the warning in OP]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nierensieb

Oct 6, 2023
I am about to call it quits with the NHL. I can‘t believe how bad this is.

I had my subscription set up nicely. Auto renewal and all.

In early October (the 5th or the 6th, if I remember), I get notice that my cc is about to be charged for $70 by the NHL. I think “wow, maybe they lowered the prices for European customers. Well done, NHL.“
On the charge it says „NHL Mid Season Subscription.“ This sparks some concern: October 5th/6th is no mid season by any means, but maybe it‘s just some idiotic description.

The Bruins opener is last night. I can‘t watch it, but I think that I will watch it today. I open my personal email to find an email from the NHL saying “your auto renewal has been cancelled“: what? I thought that it was already all settled by that payment?
I log in the NHL TV app… Try to watch the game: no go. It says I need to buy a valid subscription. WHAT? What on earth was that $70 they charged me on October 5th or 6th???

I just spent about 15 minutes with the idiot bot on the NHL TV page. That thing is a dumb as they get. I am tired of dealing with the NHL and their third world level app and customer service. Maybe they just don‘t care about customers and unless they solve this crap real quick, I might be done for good with them. It‘s been nothing but headaches for the past few years.
I wish I could speak to a human there.
Absolutely the same thing happened to me.
I can still access some games on the website though (Montreal-Toronto, Ottawa-Carolina). I am currently assuming they noticed they charged only the mid-season subscription and are trying to fix their shit, failing to do so.
But dear god, this is beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I am about to call it quits with the NHL. I can‘t believe how bad this is.

I had my subscription set up nicely. Auto renewal and all.

In early October (the 5th or the 6th, if I remember), I get notice that my cc is about to be charged for $70 by the NHL. I think “wow, maybe they lowered the prices for European customers. Well done, NHL.“
On the charge it says „NHL Mid Season Subscription.“ This sparks some concern: October 5th/6th is no mid season by any means, but maybe it‘s just some idiotic description.

The Bruins opener is last night. I can‘t watch it, but I think that I will watch it today. I open my personal email to find an email from the NHL saying “your auto renewal has been cancelled“: what? I thought that it was already all settled by that payment?
I log in the NHL TV app… Try to watch the game: no go. It says I need to buy a valid subscription. WHAT? What on earth was that $70 they charged me on October 5th or 6th???

I just spent about 15 minutes with the idiot bot on the NHL TV page. That thing is a dumb as they get. I am tired of dealing with the NHL and their third world level app and customer service. Maybe they just don‘t care about customers and unless they solve this crap real quick, I might be done for good with them. It‘s been nothing but headaches for the past few years.
I wish I could speak to a human there.
Exactly the very same thing happened to me. I can't watch any games, was charged something like 60 Euros for a worthless "Mid Season subscription" a week ago , talked with that stupid Chatbot and have no idea what to do now.

I can still access some games on the website though (Montreal-Toronto, Ottawa-Carolina). I am currently assuming they noticed they charged only the mid-season subscription and are trying to fix their shit, failing to do so.
yeah, but I can only watch the french version of Toronto-Montreal.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Streaming is the worst way to watch live sports. Last night was just a horrible experience flipping between apps.
The NHL and Sportsnet streaming is the worst way to watch live sports*

There are other sports streaming services out there that arent a complete mess.

Hell, there are even black market NHL streaming sites that you can pay for that function way better than anything the NHL has to offer with perfect quality.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Scroll back through the pages, lots with same issue, some got a reply back to emails, and posted that
Jesus, I just did. I thought that it was only me, but it‘s a massacre instead. Wtf is the NHL doing?

I tried and I could see Montreal Toronto, but with no sound. And when I tried again to see if I could still see that, this time it told me I needed a subscription.

Exactly the very same thing happened to me. I can't watch any games, was charged something like 60 Euros for a worthless "Mid Season subscription" a week ago , talked with that stupid Chatbot and have no idea what to do now.

yeah, but I can only watch the french version of Toronto-Montreal.
Same here. It‘s unacceptable.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
The Centre Ice feed for LA vs Colorado last night was...something else. Looked like absolute dogshit. Was like a bad stream from Real Player in 2001. A macroblocked, janky mess. Flip over to the Edm/Van or Wpg/Cal games on Sportsnet and they were BEAUTIFUL.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I cancelled my sub back in September. Didn't want to get auto-renewed. Went through chat, opened a ticket and was given a confirmation email that I would not get charged again.

This morning I was charged, as per the auto-renewal, at 97 euros.

They are such a friggin mess.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
today finally first good experience. i watched full game LA vs Colorado and everything worked without jump timeline forward or lags.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The Centre Ice feed for LA vs Colorado last night was...something else. Looked like absolute dogshit. Was like a bad stream from Real Player in 2001. A macroblocked, janky mess. Flip over to the Edm/Van or Wpg/Cal games on Sportsnet and they were BEAUTIFUL.
I don't think it was the feed... more like the state of the art, high(ish) definition cameras circa 2008 that TNT probably obtained from Versus were more to blame in my opinion.

The image quality was absolutely abysmal and it's really sad that the nhl doesn't seem to care.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I got charged today (half an hour after I finished watching last night's LA/Colorado game) for 102 USD. It doesn't say in the email whether it's the full or half year, and when I go on to the NHL TV page to see it my profile fields say I have no subs, no billing information, nothing. But under Payment Details it tells me to log in again. But the login button just says Profile and nothing happens when I click it. And I still haven't had a reply to my original email I sent on Monday.

• Wow
Reactions: OddyOh

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I got charged today (half an hour after I finished watching last night's LA/Colorado game) for 102 USD. It doesn't say in the email whether it's the full or half year, and when I go on to the NHL TV page to see it my profile fields say I have no subs, no billing information, nothing. But under Payment Details it tells me to log in again. But the login button just says Profile and nothing happens when I click it. And I still haven't had a reply to my original email I sent on Monday.
Oh hold on never mind the two charges are on my bank account - 83.94 and 64.99. Oh goody.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The NHL & NHL.tv have been a huge f***-up for many years – as if we all didn't know it. :mad:

The exact same thing happened to me as to @BruinLVGA and many others in this thread.

Here below is what I've just submitted to the NHL.tv chatbot. Awaiting their speedy reply!

I Can No Longer Watch Anything, Even Though You Charged Me for a "Mid-Season Subscription" (Instead of Annual Renewal). Please Sort Out This Mess!

Via email a few weeks ago, you said you would charge me to prolong my annual subscription as usual, on about October 11th. Instead, a few days earlier than announced, you charged me around $55 for a "Mid-Season Subscription" (something I never ordered from you and that I'm not interested in). Today at around noon, you sent me another email, announcing that you have now "cancelled my subscription", without returning money to me. Now I can't watch anything at all. So, you took my money (the wrong amount for the wrong subscription), AND have cancelled my subscription at the same time. Please sort out this mess ASAP, because I'd like to watch hockey TONIGHT. I want you to simply prolong my subscription for another year, as always, at $99 like you promised in your email a few weeks ago. Thank you.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
ESPN+ is still so limited in what they can do. I think the only feature they have that is worth a damn is multi-cast and that's only for Apple TV. They don't differenciate between home and away broadcasts. They don't make it easier for you to search for your team, or filter out sports or any of that. They don't give you post game shows. It's the third year of this contract and ESPN+ is pretty much antiquated now and the price keeps rising to where it would have been with NHL.TV before the contract.

NHL or ESPN, give us something. Make your services shine and make the price worth it. That should be so hard. It's like paying someone for the most minimal work possible. You don't ask for a raise if you don't do anything.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Update: I got a nice email from NHL.TV-Customer Support and was refunded for the Mid Season Subscription. They said in the mail I should start a new Full Season Subscription to watch, which I did. It worked, all games viewable. Problem seems to be solved.

Reactions: OddyOh

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Hell, there are even black market NHL streaming sites that you can pay for that function way better than anything the NHL has to offer with perfect quality.
The ESPN apps work fine. My issue is it takes too long to switch between games.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Update: I got a nice email from NHL.TV-Customer Support and was refunded for the Mid Season Subscription. They said in the mail I should start a new Full Season Subscription to watch, which I did. It worked, all games viewable. Problem seems to be solved.

How did you get in touch with them?

I wrote them via the NHL.tv chatbot. It asked for my email address among other things.

I've received no reply so far; however, in my app settings, it now correctly says "Seasonal Subscription" instead of "Mid-Season Subscription", and I can now watch all games.

Not sure what will happen on the payment(s) side. (I use PayPal.) Per their email notification from September 11th, I was supposed to be charged for the "Seasonal Subscription" on October 11th. Instead, I got charged on October 8th for what might be the "Mid-Season Subscription" price (€70.19) instead of the "Seasonal Subscription" price ($99 + European VAT, I guess).

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
So what's the total that everyone is being charged this year? Is it 99euro + VAT, or $99USD + VAT?

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Hong Kong

Congratulations! That's a good country to be in (for now, I guess). I mean, I find it very annoying that whenever (or almost always) I purchase something from America online, the hefty European VAT tax of around 20% needs to be paid additionally. That's some serious free-flowing money for European bureaucrats who have nothing to do with the product being purchased. I'm an EU fan, but a tax of 20% is really way too much. :thumbd:

Reactions: SirJW

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Not in Canada that I know of . The Black market sites are fine if you can watch a game live but what if you work shift work and can’t watch a game live ? Or you want to restart a game that say is in the 2nd period? Sportsnet certainly has its flaws but it’s a service I will gladly pay for considering my situation.

Reactions: Faterson

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Not in Canada that I know of . The Black market sites are fine if you can watch a game live but what if you work shift work and can’t watch a game live ? Or you want to restart a game that say is in the 2nd period? Sportsnet certainly has its flaws but it’s a service I will gladly pay for considering my situation.
I know a site that can do all that for $10 a month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad