League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Mantha also had a goal and assist in his first game as a Capital in April 2021. But no fight.

His 6 shots in that game were the most he had all year. And the next year. He had 6 shots again for the first game of the 2022-23 season vs BOS, and later in the year vs his old team, Detroit.

He had a few 6s and a 7 in his last season as a Cap but those were exceptions (usually 0-2 shots or so).

Don't the Penguins always look like shit early and then rally?

Reactions: Calicaps

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
One game, especially the first game before teams have gelled or locked down strategy, means nothing.

But a Pens meltdown is always delicious anyway.

My point was mostly a joke. But i mean for a fan it's tough to wait 6 long months for hockey. It's enough time to convince yourself how everything will be better this time and how the team improved over the summer.

...Only to lose your home opener 0-6.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Low IQ, through the roof heart. You KNOW his teammates appreciated that.

Don’t need to win a fight to get credit for one. ;)
Yeah especially after the injury to Rooney. Also buys himself some goodwill from the fanbase, who have to be leery given his rep.

Mantha also had a goal and assist in his first game as a Capital in April 2021. But no fight.
IIRC he had goals in each of his first four games with the Caps. And I think Vrana started out hot with Detroit too, had a 3 or 4 goal game out of the gate.

Looked like a win-win trade at first.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
"We're here to win a Stanley Cup," Werner said. "(Fenway) got involved with this because this is an incredible team with a great legacy, and our responsibility is to bring the city a Cup."

"We are so confident in Kyle's vision," Werner said. "You know, we brought on David Quinn this season. I think we're going to improve in various aspects, and our responsibility as FSG is to give (Mike Sullivan) and Kyle the resources that they need to win."

Werner reiterated Fenway's belief in Sullivan, too, calling him "one of the two or three best coaches in hockey."

🤣🤡🤣🤡

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
"We're here to win a Stanley Cup," Werner said. "(Fenway) got involved with this because this is an incredible team with a great legacy, and our responsibility is to bring the city a Cup."

"We are so confident in Kyle's vision," Werner said. "You know, we brought on David Quinn this season. I think we're going to improve in various aspects, and our responsibility as FSG is to give (Mike Sullivan) and Kyle the resources that they need to win."

Werner reiterated Fenway's belief in Sullivan, too, calling him "one of the two or three best coaches in hockey."

🤣🤡🤣🤡
Super. You folks just keep doing what you're doing.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010

🤣🤡🤣🤡
Sounds like the "strong words of support" often heard from mgmt/owners a few days before the firings begin.

Reactions: BallardEra

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I watched extended highlights of Utah's 1st two games - tonight was Isles - and man they look really good. They are overflowing with talent, very exciting to watch.

I think they needed a fresh start away from Phoenix. It seems like new ownership, location, arena has made a big difference. Early days but a really fun team to watch and interesting story to follow

Reactions: um and VaCaps Fan

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Sponsor
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

What about the Caps Zamboni Gravy Boat promotion?!

If I made a point to buy tickets to that specific game and drove down from Philly to DC to get my promotional zamboni gravy boat, and I got a free popcorn and soda instead, I would be hate-eating/-drinking that popcorn and soda with a vengeance.

• Wow
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Nope, disagree, but we can move on. Their franchise was in a different position 5 years ago.

If I was the Rangers GM and they said we want 13.7mil, because you gave Panarin 14.9% 5 years ago, I’d tell him to take a hike and I’d look to move him.

It’s an absurd negotiating tactic.

Tell you what, when he signs for 14.9% of the cap next year, I’ll come back and admit I was wrong.
FWIW, just listened to latest 32Ts and Friedman talks at length about how percentage of the cap is the main focus for agents. Actually surprised me how strident he was on that point.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
FWIW, just listened to latest 32Ts and Friedman talks at length about how percentage of the cap is the main focus for agents. Actually surprised me how strident he was on that point.
It makes total sense. It’s the only tool people can use to compare cap hits in a constantly changing cap system.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Looking at labor as a % of revenue, and individual or departmental expenses as a % of overall expenses (and revenue) is very common in all business.

Agents are speaking the language of the GMs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

All I pointed out was that comparing a winger to a goalie and a contract that will be 6 years old by the time the new Shesty deal starts, doesn’t hold weight in negotiations for a goalie deal today…again IMO.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
On the one hand, hockey is 75% goal-tending unless you have a bad one, and then it's 100%. On the other hand, Cups were won with the likes of Darcy Kuemper, Matt Murray, and Corey Crawford in net - Stuart Skinner was 1 game away last year. Luongo, Lindquist never won a Cup. And they only play 55 games a year, unless your organization is not well-organized. So why should their % of the cap be measured against the % taken by players that are expected to play 82 games.

For me, goal-tending is voodoo. So I wouldn't want to tie up 8 years of salary in a single goalie, and I certainly wouldn't want to capitulate to the idea that the goalie should take the highest % of the team's cap for 8 years when they don't play all the games and when it's so hard to be consistently good at the position for that length of time.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
All I pointed out was that comparing a winger to a goalie and a contract that will be 6 years old by the time the new Shesty deal starts, doesn’t hold weight in negotiations for a goalie deal today…again IMO.
They were talking specifically about the Rangers/Shesterkin both in terms of Panarin and in terms of other goalies around the league. I should have mentioned that... Worth a listen.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Wonder how CHI's going to do this year...
seems like they went the "stock up on veterans" route to fill the lineup and surround Bedard with some "wisdom/example" type ppl
Will they still suck? most likely I'd guess, but w/that many vets I'm sure they're going to surprise teams regularly
I like it

Foligno Bedard Teravainan
Hall Kurashev Bertuzzi
Mikheyev Dickinson Anderson
Maroon Donato Athanasiou

Martinez Jones
Vlasic Brodie
Kaiser Murphy

Soderblom
Mrazek

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad