League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Well EDM had to do this move first. This signals they want to keep their own and run for long haul. So you gotta do it now. Figure out th rest later. But yeah, get rid of Nurse!

Reactions: RedRocking

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
Stephen Peat passed away today. He was,hit by a car days ago. He was 44 years old. RIP big guy.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Friedman saying that Pacioretty has already been told the Leafs will sign him and he'll be on the roster UNLESS he has a horrible training camp.

If this is true it's no wonder the Leafs are a lame duck organization. They have plenty of young forwards who could be getting opportunities and instead they are handing out spots to washed up vets recovering from serious injuries, who looked pretty damn average (playing for the Caps).

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Friedman saying that Pacioretty has already been told the Leafs will sign him and he'll be on the roster UNLESS he has a horrible training camp.

If this is true it's no wonder the Leafs are a lame duck organization. They have plenty of young forwards who could be getting opportunities and instead they are handing out spots to washed up vets recovering from serious injuries, who looked pretty damn average (playing for the Caps).
I agree to some extent and disagree to some extent. You should never used washed up veterans to block out young guys who are ready to make an impact, but there are plenty of recent examples of 'washed up' veterans making an impact on teams going on long playoff runs.

Perry multiple times
Maroon with Tampa
Okposo with Florida
Darren Helm with Colorado
Some might even argue Orpik with the Caps in 2018.

Patches had a bad year, but he also shot 4% (versus a career average over 11%). If he can be a 12 goal, 30-35 point 3rd liner for them on the cheap, that's a very reasonable investment.

Further, when you go into 'win-now' mode, you tend to have less prospects coming up. So, veterans can be a great way to fill your bottom six for cheap with guys who can contribute in a limited fashion (which is fine because if you're relying on 35 soon to be 36 year old Pacioretty to be a top 6 forward you're in deep trouble).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm much more interested in what they do with Seider and how much he ends up getting. I know the standard thinking is to just give him 8 years and be done with it, and that's probably what Detroit will end up doing.

But I'm not really convinced he's very good. He's not bad but I think his draft pedigree combined with his TOI inflates his value quite a bit. The numbers see him as a very mediocre player.

He's worth signing and keeping around for a bit but for a team mired in the muck for years, he'd be a candidate for the fabled Hockey Trade.

Reactions: Kazer

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I agree to some extent and disagree to some extent. You should never used washed up veterans to block out young guys who are ready to make an impact, but there are plenty of recent examples of 'washed up' veterans making an impact on teams going on long playoff runs.

Perry multiple times
Maroon with Tampa
Okposo with Florida
Darren Helm with Colorado
Some might even argue Orpik with the Caps in 2018.

I would definitely argue Orpik.

IMO he had an immediate positive impact on the Capitals defense. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Capitals had 30 fewer goals against after Niskanen and Orpik came over and rose to 2nd in the NHL in goals against in 2016 and first in 2017.

That said, I also thought - at the time - Trotz should have been giving more starts and more minutes to Nate Schmidt.

Marshall

A Mahoney guy
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
The number of teams inviting double-digit PTO players to camp seems odd to me. No idea what it means (i.e. do teams who invite less players suck less?) but I don't think I've seen a team invite 17 try-outs to camp before.

N/m most of those numbers are including players that are already signed to the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps and Kazer

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
The number of teams inviting double-digit PTO players to camp seems odd to me. No idea what it means (i.e. do teams who invite less players suck less?) but I don't think I've seen a team invite 17 try-outs to camp before.

N/m most of those numbers are including players that are already signed to the organization.
Yeah, the way the information is being presented is misleading. Looking at the Caps list, the vast majority are signed to AHL/ECHL deals or local guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad