League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I respect it but also disagree with it strongly.

Lindgren was integral to the Caps making the playoffs. So were Ovechkin (22 goals from February to April), Strome (over PPG from February to April), and Carlson (played nearly 26 minutes a night at 34 years old) .

Lindgren deserved (and got) some Vezina recognition. While he finished 14th in GSAA, you can argue him above everyone except Hellebuyck (deserving winner) and Demko (clear #2). But in terms of MVP? I'm not even sure Lindgren is the outright MVP of the Caps in 23-24 (though he's certainly on the shortlist).

Especially in this past year.. there were SO many deserving candidates who didn't even make the top 3 (so ignoring Mackinnon, McDavid, Kucherov; not necessarily ordered): Matthews, obviously, Panarin, Hellebucyk, Demko, Q. Hughes; Pastrnak. Maybe (hard maybe) you could argue Lindgren 10, but I'd still probably put him behind the next group which includes JT Miller, Josi, Crosby, Draisaitl, Rantanen, Reinhart, Nylander, FF, Kaprizov (and others).

Sure, there are plenty of candidates for MVP. I don't dispute that at all, but the voters will normally stick with safe picks and usual names. Was Lindgren going to win it? No, but it's nice to see people actually do independent voting. While I don't believe Lindgren had a chance, the other guys mentioned have a strong support core. Those kind of things should be considered, imho, for MVP voting. Some of these voters will stick to their preseason choices and not deviate. Of course I cannot prove that, only speculate.

Reactions: PlushMinus

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
Sidenote but, it must be freaking nice to be traded to Tampa/Florida. They get an automatic raise in income right? Double bonus, both contending and collecting more dollars.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Tampa offered him an 8 year deal at $3 million AAV per LeBrun. Stamkos wanted $4-5$ million AAV. Big yikes to offer $3 million to a go who just hit 40 goals again and is your franchise icon. Give me some popcorn, Tampa could get messy quickly if LeBruns report is true
8 years??? He is 34. What a ridiculous offer. I would think he'd be looking at a 4 year deal and then retirement.

Anyway, eff Tampa. Their fans are jerks. Couldn't care less if they crash and burn and never win another Cup.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
8 years??? He is 34. What a ridiculous offer. I would think he'd be looking at a 4 year deal and then retirement.

Anyway, eff Tampa. Their fans are jerks. Couldn't care less if they crash and burn and never win another Cup.
It probably is more 4/24 than 8/24. LTIR or whatever at the end.

Tampa is trying to win and maximize ALL of their Cap space (yeah yeah, McDonagh McDonagh), and that’s a way to do it?

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
It probably is more 4/24 than 8/24. LTIR or whatever at the end.

Tampa is trying to win and maximize ALL of their Cap space (yeah yeah, McDonagh McDonagh), and that’s a way to do it?
They can do it however they want. Not my money!

At the end of the day none of these guys are going to be worrying about whether they can afford a steak dinner 30 years from now. Stamkos doesn't need more money. I expect it's a matter of pride but way more likely his agent telling him he deserves more money.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
How f***ed are the Penguins moving forward? That EK trade proved to be the nail in the coffin.

Not sure if he would go, but if I am them, I am cashing in on Crosby while I have the chance.

Reactions: Calicaps

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Going to be very interesting now to see what Carolina does this off-season. Do they keep the disgruntled Necas? How do they reshape their blueline?

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad