League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If the Mavericks win the NBA, and the Stars win the NHL, while the Texas Rangers hold the World Series title, after I finish puking I may have to put a sizeable bet on either the Texans or Cowboys to win the Super Bowl.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
If the Mavericks win the NBA, and the Stars win the NHL, while the Texas Rangers hold the World Series title, after I finish puking I may have to put a sizeable bet on either the Texans or Cowboys to win the Super Bowl.
Didn't Cubin sell to those vegas *********.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
If Florida can't get the job done then I think it will need to be Dallas.

I don't think Edmonton have the overall depth and goaltending. They looked like garbage in game 2 against Dallas after controlling the first period.
Rangers won yesterday, but honestly, look cooked and overmatched.

I think Florida wins as well.

Reactions: PlushMinus

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
Rangers won yesterday, but honestly, look cooked and overmatched.

I think Florida wins as well.
They’ve been getting great contributions from their depth players, but the star players have been MIA. It’s admirable that they’re ahead in the series with the stars struggling. I do think Florida is the better team and have been the better team despite being behind in the series, but they can definitely lose this series behind behind now, have to have a great game 4.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
5K fine for Trouba is such a case of penalizing based on result and not the intent. Such a blatant attempt at an elbow to the head.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
5K fine for Trouba is such a case of penalizing based on result and not the intent. Such a blatant attempt at an elbow to the head.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist-type, but it sure seems the league has a weird boner for the Rags this post-season. From the announcing, to the reffing, it's been a continuous stroke-a-thon. 🤢

Reactions: Ridley Simon

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I'm not a conspiracy theorist-type, but it sure seems the league has a weird boner for the Rags this post-season. From the announcing, to the reffing, it's been a continuous stroke-a-thon. 🤢
I mean, they’re the biggest market in the playoffs, they won the presidents trophy, it makes sense to sell them hard. I understand it from a marketing perspective, but that shouldn’t impact suspension decisions. It’s just weird that Trouba is constantly doing stuff like this and never gets suspended so he can keep getting away with not being a “repeat offender”

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I was hoping the Oilers would make it to the Finals and even win a Cup (though I would also like Florida to win one), but I have now decided I don't give a shit.

Draisatl is the only player on the Oilers who I feel bad for. Couldn't care less if McDavid never wins a Cup. I would take Drai on the Caps over McDavid every day of the week.

I am sure both those guys cannot wait for their contracts to be up so they can gtfo of Edmonton. Has to be one of the worst managed franchises in the league. Gifting them 1st after 1st and they can't build a winning roster.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Starting to think giving Cody Ceci 21 minutes a night isn't the ticket to success, but I am just a humble number cruncher who's never watched a game in his life (and God willing, never will).

Reactions: um

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Starting to think giving Cody Ceci 21 minutes a night isn't the ticket to success, but I am just a humble number cruncher who's never watched a game in his life (and God willing, never will).
4 of the Oilers 6 d-men are iffy in terms of good d-men. Bouchard/Ekholm would probably be a 2nd pairing on most good teams. The other 4 would be 3rd pair/7th d-men.

Reactions: um

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Skinner lost this Game 3 for the Oilers. You absolutely can't give up that goal on the near-post where Robertson has no angle. A lot of goalies playing this RVH so much, that they are giving up a lot of bank shots off the goalie skate and in. Skinner hugs the dang post good, then it's just a nothing burger unless Robertson makes a fast/good on a wrap-around to the other post.

Numbers don't lie. Only stopping 17 of 21 shots is 3rd string rookie goalie bad!

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Reactions: IafrateOvie34

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
4 of the Oilers 6 d-men are iffy in terms of good d-men. Bouchard/Ekholm would probably be a 2nd pairing on most good teams. The other 4 would be 3rd pair/7th d-men.
Nah - Bouchard and Ekholm would be top pairing D's on almost every team in the league.

Ceci has probably had the best two seasons of his career with the Oilers. He is a top 4 D on most teams.

Kulak career season last year with the Oilers. This season was still ok but need to factor in that he lost a top 4 role and had reduced minutes when Ekholm landed in Edmonton late-ish the previous season.

Nurse is terrible. Desharnais is a big guy and that might be all he has going for him. Not impressed with him at all.

It's the goaltending. Skinner had a very good regular season but he just can't handle the pressure of the playoffs.

Anyway - all just my humble opinion and take it as you will :)

Edit: Twabby I would like to see some (regular season and this year's playoffs) fancy stats on the Oiler's D-men to see if I am full of crap and Shervaughan is right or vice versa. Not for sake of argument - just out of interest to see the differing opinions :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRocking

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Nah - Bouchard and Ekholm would be top pairing D's on almost every team in the league.

Ceci has probably had the best two seasons of his career with the Oilers. He is a top 4 D on most teams.

Kulak career season last year with the Oilers. This season was still ok but need to factor in that he lost a top 4 role and had reduced minutes when Ekholm landed in Edmonton late-ish the previous season.

Nurse is terrible. Desharnais is a big guy and that might be all he has going for him. Not impressed with him at all.

It's the goaltending. Skinner had a very good regular season but he just can't handle the pressure of the playoffs.

Anyway - all just my humble opinion and take it as you will :)

Edit: Twabby I would like to see some (regular season and this year's playoffs) fancy stats on the Oiler's D-men to see if I am full of crap and Shervaughan is right or vice versa. Not for sake of argument - just out of interest to see the differing opinions :)

1716899410527.png

Bouchard and Ekholm are a fantastic top pairing. One of the best in the league.

Can't agree on Ceci though. He's a third pairing dude on most teams. Nurse is probably a fine second pairing guy in the regular season but he has Greenitis where he falls apart every postseason.

Kulak and Desharnais are decent enough third pairing guys.

I think the Nurse-Ceci pair is killing them, and also Skinner has stunk, and also Dallas is really good.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Crazy just how NHL coaches just keep cycling through the same names.
Yes in general, but I disagree in this case. Bylsma has paid his dues. He got the Buffalo job undeservedly off his Pittsburgh rep, but he has earned his way back. He was assistant at the NHL level for three full seasons (after taking a season off), worked as an AHL assistant for a year, and then has led CV to back to back conference finals (with this season still pending). By next season, he will have put in 7 full seasons since his last head coaching role.

Travis Green is still the most questionable hire of this cycle with San Jose pending, and it's not even close.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yes in general, but I disagree in this case. Bylsma has paid his dues. He got the Buffalo job undeservedly off his Pittsburgh rep, but he has earned his way back. He was assistant at the NHL level for three full seasons (after taking a season off), worked as an AHL assistant for a year, and then has led CV to back to back conference finals (with this season still pending). By next season, he will have put in 7 full seasons since his last head coaching role.

Travis Green is still the most questionable hire of this cycle with San Jose pending, and it's not even close.
Travis Green and Lindy Ruff

Reactions: Kazer

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Bouchard is blossoming into a nice 1RD. JC74 is a pretty decent comp for him in terms of strengths, weaknesses, and play style. The issue for the Oilers is every other defenseman besides Ekholm sucks and Nurse has one of the worst contracts in the sport. Nurse makes more than Heiskanen, Josi, Hamilton, and Makar and he’s nowhere near that caliber of player.

Much like the Leafs, the Oilers are too top heavy. I won’t say it’s impossible but it’s very difficult to win it all with poor blueline depth and shaky goaltending. You can’t outscore poor play in your own end in the postseason.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I am in Europe this week. Barcelona now. ESPN+ doesn’t stream here. I only have my iPad so no VPN. How can i watch the game tonight? Starting at 1am my time. Haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad