League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

So when the Seattle Kraken named former Pittsburgh Penguins and Sabres coach Dan Bylsma their second-ever bench boss Tuesday, the general response around the hockey world was a tepid, “Uh, sure, I guess.” Another NHL coaching opening. Another chance to bring some fresh blood into the league. Another uninspired retread. Yawn.

But here’s the thing: When the New York Rangers hired Peter Laviolette last summer, fans greeted him with all the enthusiasm of a school summer reading list. When the Florida Panthers hired Paul Maurice two years ago, the hockey world shrugged in unison. When the Dallas Stars hired Pete DeBoer that same summer, we all rolled our eyes.

Yet we are in the NHL’s final four, and those are the three coaches joining the interloper Knoblauch. And given how Laviolette has unlocked Alexis Lafrenière, and how Maurice has taken Florida on two straight deep runs, and how DeBoer has convinced his Stars to embrace smaller roles for the greater good, it’s getting tougher to criticize the lack of creativity in front offices across the league.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US

So when the Seattle Kraken named former Pittsburgh Penguins and Sabres coach Dan Bylsma their second-ever bench boss Tuesday, the general response around the hockey world was a tepid, “Uh, sure, I guess.” Another NHL coaching opening. Another chance to bring some fresh blood into the league. Another uninspired retread. Yawn.

But here’s the thing: When the New York Rangers hired Peter Laviolette last summer, fans greeted him with all the enthusiasm of a school summer reading list. When the Florida Panthers hired Paul Maurice two years ago, the hockey world shrugged in unison. When the Dallas Stars hired Pete DeBoer that same summer, we all rolled our eyes.

Yet we are in the NHL’s final four, and those are the three coaches joining the interloper Knoblauch. And given how Laviolette has unlocked Alexis Lafrenière, and how Maurice has taken Florida on two straight deep runs, and how DeBoer has convinced his Stars to embrace smaller roles for the greater good, it’s getting tougher to criticize the lack of creativity in front offices across the league.
Barry Trotz was a retread. Craig Berube was a retread. Bruce Cassidy was a 2x retread. Mike Sullivan was a retread (you get the idea)...

Edit to Add: Jared Bednar & Jon Cooper are far more the exception than the rule. And both took a long time. Jared won in his 6th season and Jon in his 7th (full).

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

It's largely ageism... the idea that you can't teach old dogs new tricks. But that analogy has never been apt because people aren't dogs. These guys are doing what humans do: blending new information with experience and knowledge. As @Kazer pointed out, new guys may come with the new information, but they typically need time to gain experience and knowledge. Hopefully Carbs has what it takes to learn on the fly and be ready to compete when his roster is.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Pavelski looks like he never wants to win a cup. 1G 3A in 16 PO games. 0 points in this series.

Looks old and slow out there. At least they finally took him off the PP.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Dallas got locked down after going up 2-0 in the game. And Skinner may have saved his NHL career he was another fast goal to out of the game and maybe league.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Pavelski looks like he never wants to win a cup. 1G 3A in 16 PO games. 0 points in this series.

Looks old and slow out there. At least they finally took him off the PP.
Well he is 39 years old and has not missed a regular season game for the last 4 years.

At this stage of the season he is probably exhausted :laugh:

Reactions: Kazer

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I am in Europe this week. Barcelona now. ESPN+ doesn’t stream here. I only have my iPad so no VPN. How can i watch the game tonight? Starting at 1am my time. Haha.
I know what you feel bro.
Welcome to my world

1 am start, 3:40ish am you can go to bed if there is no OT.

Fortunately Washington is on the east cost. If I was a Sharks/Canucks/Kings fan the game would start at 4 am :eek3:

Reactions: DWGie26

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
Between Paul Maurice and Matt Tkachuk, how can you not be rooting for the Panthers.

The Maurice interviews are priceless and can't get enough of Tkachuk getting under the skin of the Rangers.
The Panthers have become my second favorite team these past few years (geographically they’re the closest team to where I currently live). Obviously if the Caps play them I want the Caps to obliterate them, but I do really like watching the Panthers play hockey in their current form. It’s fun to watch such a talented team work so hard.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I like how Rempe is covered like a Make-a-Wish kid. Even from the fanbase heartily cheering every little thing. Heartwarming.

Reactions: Calicaps

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Well he is 39 years old and has not missed a regular season game for the last 4 years.

At this stage of the season he is probably exhausted :laugh:
If only NHL coaches would learn to do load management for the senior players.

Look at Ovie after a week off and camel riding.

Reactions: PlushMinus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad