NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE SEVEN! Part One!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Last night started out by sending my mobile order to the wrong Wawa on accident, only to realize it at the store when my stuff wasn't ready. Waiting made me late for work (only by like 5 mins). Ended up door dashing food later, clutch.

I got there and immediately had to make 2 IVs, one for each new twin in the nicu. 24 weeks. They each weighed about 1 pound.

The neumatic tube system to send meds throughout the hospital was down, so I had to walk everything around the place. Doesn't sound too bad, except I'm the only one in the pharmacy.

I sent 2 antibiotics, those 2 IVs, some IV morphine, and some IV seizure meds to each of those twins throughout the night. Then the neonatologist called me and wanted a special bag for one of them that I had to build from scratch in the ordering system because it wasn't even an item to choose. They ran this instead of one of the bags I made when I first came in.

And a fridge broke so I had to move all those meds and cram them into the other one.

I had fun.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Last night started out by sending my mobile order to the wrong Wawa on accident, only to realize it at the store when my stuff wasn't ready. Waiting made me late for work (only by like 5 mins). Ended up door dashing food later, clutch.

I got there and immediately had to make 2 IVs, one for each new twin in the nicu. 24 weeks. They each weighed about 1 pound.

The neumatic tube system to send meds throughout the hospital was down, so I had to walk everything around the place. Doesn't sound too bad, except I'm the only one in the pharmacy.

I sent 2 antibiotics, those 2 IVs, some IV morphine, and some IV seizure meds to each of those twins throughout the night. Then the neonatologist called me and wanted a special bag for one of them that I had to build from scratch in the ordering system because it wasn't even an item to choose. They ran this instead of one of the bags I made when I first came in.

And a fridge broke so I had to move all those meds and cram them into the other one.

I had fun.
You more than earned your day off weed

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Left wing remains surprisingly deep at this point, with some all-time greats available for the taking. Eager to add another pure goal scorer, I was waffling between 3 in particular when it just hit me like the thiccest 5'6", 136lb player ever......."This is the one."

The Honolulu Ghibli select as their legend left wing, Aurèle Joliat.

eVPdMkL.jpg

I can regale you with Aurèle "Mighty Atom, Little Giant" Joliat's hockey feats from 1922-1938: his Hart trophy in 33-34, his many All-Star finishes (including inaugural 1st team), his 3 Stanley Cups with the Canadiens, his over 13 years spent as the peanut butter to Howie Morenz's jelly. This was a true legend, who fittingly with my Max Bentley selection, was renowned for his elusive skating and stick-handling ability. Size be damned, Joliat was vigorously praised for his defensive and backchecking abilities and nasty, indomitable streak in the face of a rough and tough league. From the 20s to the 30s, Joliat was one of the most well-rounded goal scorers in the NHL.

But Joliat is so much more than his on-ice accomplishments. He is one of the greatest characters to ever play this game. Where do I begin? In 1920, before his NHL career began, a 19 year old Joliat was playing for the Iroquois Falls Papermakers in the Northern Ontario Hockey Association. "Prior to the championship game, he was offered $500, a sizeable amount of money at the time, to allow the opponents to win. Aurèle accepted both the proposition and the money, yet proceeded to score six goals, leading Iroquois Falls to victory. The gamblers tried to intercept Joliat and punish him for double-crossing them, but Aurèle slipped out of the dressing room, made his way to the train station and boarded a train for western Canada, having avoided his pursuers." Unable to play due to suspension, he harvested wheat for a year before being traded to Montreal for an over-the-hill Newsy Lalonde.

Joliat unusually wore a black cap on his head, covering a bald spot, at all times during games. If an opponent was looking for trouble, he'd knock the cap off. In return, Joliat would give him a 2-hander across the ankles. And boy, was he a funny quote machine:
"I guess I was tough enough," Aurèle reminisced. "You had to be to survive. But I wasn't the toughest. That mule-headed, son of a bitch Eddie Shore was the meanest, toughest player I ever met. I was rushing up the ice at the Forum one night when my lights went out. Shore hit me with a check that almost killed me. I was what? 130 pounds at the time and he must have been 190. He dislocated my shoulder and they carried me off in a lot of pain. Then I look around and Shore is leading a fancy rush. Forget the sore shoulder. I leapt over the boards and intercepted the big bugger. Hit him with a flying tackle. Hit him so hard he was out cold on the ice. He had it coming, I'd say."

If this must-watch video of an 82 year old Joliat, at his co-retirement ceremony (with Beliveau) for his #4 Canadiens jersey doesn't sum up the man, I don't know what does.

"The ghost of Eddie Shore must have put that damn rug in front of me," Joliat quipped afterwards.

@Lord Defect

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Left wing remains surprisingly deep at this point, with some all-time greats available for the taking. Eager to add another pure goal scorer, I was waffling between 3 in particular when it just hit me like the thiccest 5'6", 136lb player ever......."This is the one."

The Honolulu Ghibli select as their legend left wing, Aurèle Joliat.

eVPdMkL.jpg

I can regale you with Aurèle "Mighty Atom, Little Giant" Joliat's hockey feats from 1922-1938: his Hart trophy in 33-34, his many All-Star finishes (including inaugural 1st team), his 3 Stanley Cups with the Canadiens, his over 13 years spent as the peanut butter to Howie Morenz's jelly. This was a true legend, who fittingly with my Max Bentley selection, was renowned for his elusive skating and stick-handling ability. Size be damned, Joliat was vigorously praised for his defensive and backchecking abilities and nasty, indomitable streak in the face of a rough and tough league. From the 20s to the 30s, Joliat was one of the most well-rounded goal scorers in the NHL.

But Joliat is so much more than his on-ice accomplishments. He is one of the greatest characters to ever play this game. Where do I begin? In 1920, before his NHL career began, a 19 year old Joliat was playing for the Iroquois Falls Papermakers in the Northern Ontario Hockey Association. "Prior to the championship game, he was offered $500, a sizeable amount of money at the time, to allow the opponents to win. Aurèle accepted both the proposition and the money, yet proceeded to score six goals, leading Iroquois Falls to victory. The gamblers tried to intercept Joliat and punish him for double-crossing them, but Aurèle slipped out of the dressing room, made his way to the train station and boarded a train for western Canada, having avoided his pursuers." Unable to play due to suspension, he harvested wheat for a year before being traded to Montreal for an over-the-hill Newsy Lalonde.

Joliat unusually wore a black cap on his head, covering a bald spot, at all times during games. If an opponent was looking for trouble, he'd knock the cap off. In return, Joliat would give him a 2-hander across the ankles. And boy, was he a funny quote machine:

If this must-watch video of an 82 year old Joliat, at his co-retirement ceremony (with Beliveau) for his #4 Canadiens jersey doesn't sum up the man, I don't know what does.

"The ghost of Eddie Shore must have put that damn rug in front of me," Joliat quipped afterwards.

@Lord Defect

Great pick and I loved the video clip.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Jumping in here because I can.

We're going to take a break from our player picks and move on to our team urban myth. Given our strong ties to Hollywood, we decided to pick something that was a bit localized, so it wouldn't already be overdone.

If you've puttered around on Weird NJ as I did for many years when I was younger, you've no doubt read stories about the road with the unreservedly creepy name. We almost went there, but while the name of the road itself is enough to creep out a visitor, the road itself is fairly boring, with very little legend associated with it. We instead went with another road nearby, slightly northeast in West Milford.

Team Urban Myth: Clinton Road

Clinton Road is a long, winding, rural road in West Milford Township in northwestern New Jersey. Over the years, it has been the topic of numerous stories. Who knows how true any of them are.

If you throw pennies off one of the bridges, supposedly the ghost of a boy who died there will throw them back. Or push you in.

Satan worshipers hang out near the ruins of an old castle in the woods. Or the KKK.

Cross-Castle-Ruins.jpg

There is a demon wolf or dog that prowls the woods.

Seriously, don't drive that road. At night. While high/intoxicated.

It's still @Lord Defect's turn.

Also, if you're from the area and haven't read through the stuff on Weird NJ, give yourself a few hours. A lot of fun local myths, some neat places that are sort of crumbling now, lots of interesting oral history. Very likely only about 5% true, but that's part of what makes it fun.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Jumping in here because I can.

We're going to take a break from our player picks and move on to our team urban myth. Given our strong ties to Hollywood, we decided to pick something that was a bit localized, so it wouldn't already be overdone.

If you've puttered around on Weird NJ as I did for many years when I was younger, you've no doubt read stories about the road with the unreservedly creepy name. We almost went there, but while the name of the road itself is enough to creep out a visitor, the road itself is fairly boring, with very little legend associated with it. We instead went with another road nearby, slightly northeast in West Milford.

Team Urban Myth: Clinton Road

Clinton Road is a long, winding, rural road in West Milford Township in northwestern New Jersey. Over the years, it has been the topic of numerous stories. Who knows how true any of them are.

If you throw pennies off one of the bridges, supposedly the ghost of a boy who died there will throw them back. Or push you in.

Satan worshipers hang out near the ruins of an old castle in the woods. Or the KKK.

Cross-Castle-Ruins.jpg

There is a demon wolf or dog that prowls the woods.

Seriously, don't drive that road. At night. While high/intoxicated.

It's still @Lord Defect's turn.

Also, if you're from the area and haven't read through the stuff on Weird NJ, give yourself a few hours. A lot of fun local myths, some neat places that are sort of crumbling now, lots of interesting oral history. Very likely only about 5% true, but that's part of what makes it fun.
It would probably be easier to list the parts of NJ that aren’t weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad