NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – THANK YOU, HELLO PHASE TWENTY-SEVEN!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For Local Icon, im going with someone local to my current Township, Abington, PA. This is just Northwest of Philly for those not from the area.

There have been a handful of famous athletes and celebrities to graduate from Abington Senior HS, but none cooler than Bob motherf***ing Saget.

bob-saget-cause-of-death.png

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm just going to go because Defect does as Defect does.

I like smaller concert venues; feels intimate, you normally are surrounded by true fans, and sometimes you get to see great bands before they make it big.

Seattle still has a great music scene, but we all know it's the home turf for grunge. Our concert venue was at the heart of the grunge scene and is now even owned by individuals who made their names in the grunge era.

It's had its ups and downs... even closing... and even relocating down the street from its original location.

Its capacity is around 1100, which makes it a suitable choice for the Sockeyes.

Seattle selects The Crocodile (the Croc).

crocodile-900x600.jpg

@mja

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That is a fantastic pick for this category
I panic picked Moriarty, how could I have been so dumb. Did I really never pick him for anything, having Snoop Dogg? Pathetic
It's definitely surprising that he was still on the board after like 2000 picks lol
I couldn’t believe he was available either. :laugh:

Stumbled across his new music video, thought “Damn, he would’ve been a solid choice…. Too bad”, and then checked even though I was completely convinced he was already picked.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Can't believe I have to root for that fatass to win a Stanley Cup. Normally, I wouldn't even want him to win a jock full of Crisco.

g5rFO6E.jpg

We start the day with @Strawberry Fields on the clock, @BigToe on deck, @Magua on the lido deck, and pit on the lido afterdeck.

I watched "Civil War" last night, and it was much better than I expected it to be. As you know, I used to be a journalist, but I wasn't one of those weirdos who think it is a sacred calling or some shit. Most of them take themselves and their "mission" VERY seriously. It's fairly nauseating and ridiculous. The movie captured that sentiment perfectly, and it's left up to your judgment whether or not the film roasts them or honors them. Either way, while it's nauseating, it is well done.

The other nauseating thing is that you can see exactly how we could get from here to there. Thankfully, the film didn't belabor the politics of the sides at all, but you know what is behind it and how numbskulls on every side who take themselves too seriously and blow banal shit up into something to scream about could lead us down that path. In that way, it is an expert satire.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I watched "Civil War" last night, and it was much better than I expected it to be. As you know, I used to be a journalist, but I wasn't one of those weirdos who think it is a sacred calling or some shit. Most of them take themselves and their "mission" VERY seriously. It's fairly nauseating and ridiculous. The movie captured that sentiment perfectly, and it's left up to your judgment whether or not the film roasts them or honors them. Either way, while it's nauseating, it is well done.

The other nauseating thing is that you can see exactly how we could get from here to there. Thankfully, the film didn't belabor the politics of the sides at all, but you know what is behind it and how numbskulls on every side who take themselves too seriously and blow banal shit up into something to scream about could lead us down that path. In that way, it is an expert satire.

Toe said it was “corny” when we had this discussion this week. Fortunately, you and I have better taste. The only thing he can taste is athlete’s foot.

I think Alex Garland is one of the better genre writer/directors out there. Kirsten Dunst killed it. The sound design, soundtrack, and set pieces hit hard (some of the loudest gunshots I've ever heard in a theater). It was almost like a journalistic Apocalypse Now; the point being to leave you drained and unmoored as it got darker and darker. Who is fighting who in most of the scenes? Who knows? That unsettled ambiguity worked to create an atmosphere of constant dread. I enjoyed how apolitical and non-preachy it was, depriving you of easy answers and making many questions irrelevant. The violence without a moral high ground is sort of its central point. And I thought the ending stuck the landing big time.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Honolulu Ghibli appoint as our Team Badwill Ambassador.......Jerry Mouse

main-qimg-74471e373ddd74ed6b0e769b618c13c4

Jerry will provoke, outsmart, and torture when called upon. He will best you. And when the Ghibli send him your way, good luck getting rid of him.

anigif_sub-buzz-7025-1516112112-1.gif

But to his friends, he's a perfectly swell mouse!

Lickety split, it's time to pick, @pit

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I’m not the biggest horror fan, so I had to find an angle for the Haunted Sunder. While this is one of those rare cases where I preferred the remake to the original, I’m going with Tanz Akademie from the 1977 version of Suspiria entirely based on the visuals. Yes, I’m as shocked as you are that an Italian nailed the look on something and not much else.

screen-shot-2021-11-30-at-6.45.44-pm.png

luca-guadagnino-dirige-il-remake-di-suspiria-collater.al-2-1.jpg

345974.jpg

@JojoTheWhale Hurry up, jackass. People are waiting.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@JojoTheWhale speaking of Italians, I watched this doc the other day on [REDACTED]. It was utterly riveting.

200w.gif

We start the day with Jojo on the clock, @pit on deck, @Magua on the lido deck, and Toe on the lido afterdeck.

I watched "Boy Kills World" last night. It was pretty dumb, but as always, I appreciate a director who takes chances and goes big with ideas and style. However, since Zack Snyder showed his hand, I am less likely to give these types a lot of rope. The biggest problem with the film was the [pejorative ultraslur] way he tried to fit in a "Hunger Games"-style show around a culling. Just so stupid. Here's my advice - go read "Battle Royale," the novel. It is the source that "The F***ing Hunger Games" ripped off and shat on, and it is purely flawless.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It turns out that trading away the Troc pick worked out well for me because I realized I should take a Concert Venue that holds the added advantage of having actually played there. That meant choosing between two beloved Philadelphia options. The other one had squatters and gave you a significantly higher chance of getting stabbed. Significantly. I miss that one dearly too.

Founded in 1796 and first officially lead by an abolitionist and active member of the Underground Railroad in Rev. Dr. William Henry Furness, the First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia has a long standing policy of being extraordinarily welcoming to all sorts. John Brown had a vigil there. Martin Luther King was famously influenced by a lecture there about non-violent civil disobedience. It was an early adopter of the idea of becoming an official Welcoming Congregation, which simply means they open their doors to anyone regardless of sexual orientation. And I can tell you from personal experience that they were just as welcoming to the punk/DIY kids who started using their basement for concerts in the mid-90s. It’s a wonderful place filled with kind, caring people.

working_H4A4661.jpg

bane.jpg

8screamfem8sikich.width-704.jpg

@pit It’s not a great venue unless I’ve almost passed out from heat exhaustion on occasion. Them’s the rules.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
It turns out that trading away the Troc pick worked out well for me because I realized I should take a Concert Venue that holds the added advantage of having actually played there. That meant choosing between two beloved Philadelphia options. The other one had squatters and gave you a significantly higher chance of getting stabbed. Significantly. I miss that one dearly too.

Founded in 1796 and first officially lead by an abolitionist and active member of the Underground Railroad in Rev. Dr. William Henry Furness, the First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia has a long standing policy of being extraordinarily welcoming to all sorts. John Brown had a vigil there. Martin Luther King was famously influenced by a lecture there about non-violent civil disobedience. It was an early adopter of the idea of becoming an official Welcoming Congregation, which simply means they open their doors to anyone regardless of sexual orientation. And I can tell you from personal experience that they were just as welcoming to the punk/DIY kids who started using their basement for concerts in the mid-90s. It’s a wonderful place filled with kind, caring people.

working_H4A4661.jpg

bane.jpg

8screamfem8sikich.width-704.jpg

@pit It’s not a great venue unless I’ve almost passed out from heat exhaustion on occasion. Them’s the rules.
Thank you. I was afraid it wasn't going to get picked and that would have been a travesty. A venue with a built in sauna is too good to leave behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad