NHL is the only major us sport league that hasn’t played a game in Mexico.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
In 2025 nascar , nba , mlb and possibly the nfl will all play regular season games in mexico next year. Considering the future demographics trends of America and the biggest market for North American sports outside of an and a why hasn’t the nhl played at least an exhibition down there? Why is the nhl so behind on this type of stuff?

May 31, 2006
I have done literally zero research, but might the lack of adequate facilities be a factor? Can't imagine there are too many large arenas capable of housing an ice rink.
Arena CDMX could do it. Even one of the boxing/lucha arenas like Arena Mexico could fit an ice rink. In the winter they put an ice rink in the middle of the Zocalo, which would be amazing for an NHL game.

There are many ice rinks in Mexico City but seating/fans is an issue.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm sure it would sell out because it would be somewhat of a novelty but I don't see it bringing in a host of new fans.

The thought with sending players to Nagano for the Olympics was it could bring in a whole new market of people, but that never materialized.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
When I was playing Pee-Wee hockey decades ago, a team from Mexico came over to play a few games in the Ottawa/Gatineau (at the time Hull) area. I don’t remember why but my team didn’t end up playing against them but one thing I remember is that none of them had neck guards when they got here and since it was mandatory for us, the local teams ended up pitching in to make sure they all got some.

From what I remember, most people were impressed because they weren’t getting blown out and were actually decent.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The Stars are pushing hard for a game in Mexico City along with working with youth hockey.

Al Montoya is part of the front office and is leading the effort:
"We just came back from a trip to Mexico City and we will be going back there soon," Montoya said. "For us, that's really an opportunity to really show what we've been doing and get our message across. We launched a Learn to Play program. It's a six-week program for kids from four to 10 years old in Mexico City. We started it in April and they will graduate from the program in May. This is a chance for them to be introduced to the game that we love so much and give them that chance to play."

Only a matter of time until a game there happens. Although obviously the Coyotes are no longer an advocate/willing participant for it.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
When I was playing Pee-Wee hockey decades ago, a team from Mexico came over to play a few games in the Ottawa/Gatineau (at the time Hull) area. I don’t remember why but my team didn’t end up playing against them but one thing I remember is that none of them had neck guards when they got here and since it was mandatory for us, the local teams ended up pitching in to make sure they all got some.

From what I remember, most people were impressed because they weren’t getting blown out and were actually decent.
I wonder how many (if any) had connections to Canadian/American family, given how many expats live there.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Why is playing in Mexico an absolute necessity?

Could be argued it's more of a necessity than a few games in Finland or Germany every season. :dunno:

Why not try and grow the game closer to home for a change, at a neutral site each year?

Play a game in Alaska, or Idaho, or Vermont, or any other state that doesn't have a chance at ever having their own pro hockey team.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
League could use Matthews Mexican heritage as well, his mother is Mexican. I don't know if they have an arena that could support it but it may help having a partially Mexican star player in the league.

I just don't see Hockey becoming a thing in Mexico, it's a very expensive game and they don't really have the climate for it. They may be able to attract some viewers possibly but I just can't see hockey every being a sport there where kids are actually enrolling and playing in leagues.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Topical:

I do think a Mexico City exhibition game is inevitable, though. Seems like it'd be tailor made for a neutral Kings/Stars game to me.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
This just screams of looking for a reason to bash the NHL to me. The NHL's foreign expansion market target is Europe (after giving up on China I guess), they do exhibition games there. It makes more sense for multiple reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad