News Article: NHL Front Office Confidence Rankings (Leafs 30th)

Where would you rank the Leafs Front Office?

• 1-10

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • 11-15

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • 16-20

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • 21-25

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • 26-32

Votes: 38 50.7%

• Total voters

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Shanahan is finished. Did a terrible job. There's no vision anymore. I fully expect him gone by season's end and Pelley will have to find a replacement. Treliving could be gone too if Pelley wants to fully clean house and hire his guy.

IMO Pelly will be the replacement, Rogers and Bell have been cutting & merging roles like their asses are on fire, Shanny will be one more name on the unemployed heap. Massively dysfunctional companies, which mimic's the massively dysfunctional MLSE. The only thing that keeps them both going are the government regulations that allow them to be a duopoly. MLSE is kind of built in their image, too big to fail, there is a money truck that backs up every day and just dumps mountains of cash on their doorstep. my prediction is there will be no longer be a President of the Maple Leafs, Argos, Raptors and the FC, Pelly will just have a GM for each team who will report directly to him. . Cut a bunch of roles, save money.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Our front office is middle of the pack at this point. If you limit to the GM and below, they have a chance to improve that over the next few years based on how the cap space is used and how well some of these moves pan out.

I like the attention to D in drafting and FA.

Casting a perennial 100 pt team as the worst managed in the league shows what is wrong with this market and the constant negativity in the media.

Reactions: ACC1224

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I don't blame anyone for feeling down on the team right now.

They see the best opportunity to win the cup in a lifetime being pissed away. By a bunch of simpleton nincompoop mooncalf's. These turkey's are like thanksgiving dinner.

Ready for the carving.

So long as Shanahan remains empowered Leafs Nation remains in a state of emergency. It's only a matter of time before he bests himself in the ding dong department. As it is they no longer need worry about an emerging crisis.

It is now full blown.

They've won a single series since drafting Matthews. The greatest fan base in the world deserves a team they can be proud of. Not this mediocre slop that prides itself on being better than the bottom of the league crap it's mostly been the last fifty seven years.

For the amount of money they earn and spend this is the worst run team in all hockey.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
How is 4 million for a #6D not bad? Klingberg was not good for a long time, it didn't start that year.

Good idea, terrible execution.

You're making this up.

He also had a chance to move Marner and Nylander, but didn't move either.

I don't mind that he didn't.
I'm not sure how many people think he was a #6 D at the time.

There is one poster here who has literally said, several times, that Tre has made no changes since the end of the season, and their logic is "none of the big four". There is another poster who has said, more than once, that there are 32 teams who would happily give Marner $13M if they could. Yes, the part about trading for McDavid and Makar wasn't literally true (duh). Could that possibly have been sarcasm?

I don't mind that he hasn't moved either either.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs management is bad and has been for the past 6yrs, but keep in mind Dom gets his information from Jonas and Mirtle. Jonas is not a hockey guy and has no clue what he’s watching.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’m not super confident but 30th, just below the Columbus Blue Jackets? That’s absurd.
Had the ping ball bounced differently for the 2016 draft are they consistently between the 10-16 best team every year?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'm not sure how many people think he was a #6 D at the time.

I think the league and his results thought he was, maybe not the fans.

There is one poster here who has literally said, several times, that Tre has made no changes since the end of the season, and their logic is "none of the big four". There is another poster who has said, more than once, that there are 32 teams who would happily give Marner $13M if they could. Yes, the part about trading for McDavid and Makar wasn't literally true (duh). Could that possibly have been sarcasm?

Tre has done the same thing as Dubas, shuffle chairs, and no meaningful changes have been made.

I've said Marner is likely going to get 12.5+, I don't think he is worth that.

I am not sure who you are referring to, but I don't think 13 is a crazy number to expect him to fetch in free agency, the cap is rising quickly.

The consensus on this board seems to be that Marner is a cap dump, which is why I found the statement on thinking Marner was worth that much pointless... if it was just one poster, I think it is a pointless thing to bring up.

I don't mind that he hasn't moved either either.

I want him to do what is best for the team as well and change for the sake of change is not worth it, at least we can find common ground here.

He did have the opportunity to move Marner and Nylander if he wanted, and it sounds like he tried with Nylander.

Move whoever to make the team better though.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Shanahan is finished. Did a terrible job. There's no vision anymore. I fully expect him gone by season's end and Pelley will have to find a replacement. Treliving could be gone too if Pelley wants to fully clean house and hire his guy.
That's not true, the vision remains the same as it's been the past 7-8 years. Get into the dance, and hope the team can win a game 7 and move forward in the playoffs.

These polls are very useless.

Utah @ 4 (Easy to tank for 5 years and finally trade picks away/use the 30m+ in capspace.)
Chicago @ 12 (Have we seen the contracts they given to Foligno, Bert, Trading for Mikheyev?)
San Jose @ 13 (Thomas Hertl trade was a disaster, and are a awful team.)
Washington @ 15 (Retooled and wasted assets just to get Ovi to break the record)
Anahiem @ 16 (Talk about a team with 0 vision..)

Meanwhile Edmonton had a stellar off season apart from signing Leon right now and sit 24th lol.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Had Edmonton not drafted McDavid, had Colorado not drafted McKinnon or Makar, etc. etc.
I would post that in their threads, however since you posted it here, those teams have been top 5 and have been to the SCF. The Leafs have consistently been 10th to 16th and one of the weakest playoff teams in the East.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Casting a perennial 100 pt team as the worst managed in the league shows what is wrong with this market and the constant negativity in the media.
Lol if you get lucky enough to draft a cast of franchise changing talent like Matthews, Marner and Nylander then 100pt seasons should be the bare minimum are far as regular season goes.

It really does not take much to please the blind cheerleaders of this fanbase.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
30th is ridiculous

They are ranked below Buffalo who hasn't seen playoffs since 2011

Detroit who hasn't seen playoffs since 2016

Ottawa who hasn't seen the playoffs since 2017

And Utah who need I remind you is Arizona.

you don't have to put them #1 but 30th? Get a f***ing clue.

Plus the Oilers who just went to the finals are bottom row.

I'd be embarrassed to release this.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
IMO Pelly will be the replacement, Rogers and Bell have been cutting & merging roles like their asses are on fire, Shanny will be one more name on the unemployed heap. Massively dysfunctional companies, which mimic's the massively dysfunctional MLSE. The only thing that keeps them both going are the government regulations that allow them to be a duopoly. MLSE is kind of built in their image, too big to fail, there is a money truck that backs up every day and just dumps mountains of cash on their doorstep. my prediction is there will be no longer be a President of the Maple Leafs, Argos, Raptors and the FC, Pelly will just have a GM for each team who will report directly to him. . Cut a bunch of roles, save money.
Raps are run very differently than the leafs. Masai is actually the GM (he's also been a GM in the league for a long time) and runs the team, so in essence that's Pelley's GM reporting to him. Masai won't be going anywhere anytime soon, plus they are rebuilding now after delivering a chip. They fumbled Siakam/FVV core but they moved off that now. Leafs are different with Shanny. He's never been a GM. He sits on the sidelines and lets his GM make the moves while sticking his nose in. Very dysfunctional operation IMO which is why they have had limited success.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No offense but these rankings are awful, there are at least 6 7 teams in the first 15 who just tank year after year and havent seen the playoffs...like how is Arizona 4th??? All they did until this summer was selling players and acquiring dead cap...dito for Sharks and Chicago...also Sabres and Sens ahead??? For what???
The power of a very large disgruntled fan base vs a team with next to no fan base

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I want to remind fans that even though Toronto doesn't do well in the post-season, it's a far cry from the previous leaf fan experience:

Between 2005 and 2016 Toronto had 1 playoff appearance. That 1 playoff appearance was in a shortened season.

If you want every player traded, and every President/GM fired think about how brutal it is when season after season you lose (no playoffs).

The trade deadlines, and offseason UFA pick ups were just awful. It would make you just sick. No UFAs wanted to play in TOR. There were no prospects. Fans are losing their minds over Tanev, Stolarz, Domi, and OEL being signed. Jesus H C.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
That's not true, the vision remains the same as it's been the past 7-8 years. Get into the dance, and hope the team can win a game 7 and move forward in the playoffs.

These polls are very useless.

Utah @ 4 (Easy to tank for 5 years and finally trade picks away/use the 30m+ in capspace.)
Chicago @ 12 (Have we seen the contracts they given to Foligno, Bert, Trading for Mikheyev?)
San Jose @ 13 (Thomas Hertl trade was a disaster, and are a awful team.)
Washington @ 15 (Retooled and wasted assets just to get Ovi to break the record)
Anahiem @ 16 (Talk about a team with 0 vision..)

Meanwhile Edmonton had a stellar off season apart from signing Leon right now and sit 24th lol.
Sure it's true. What's the vision? The org. has been going in circles for years now while he sticks on his position that eventually they will break through. Why? Just cuz the Detroit Red Wings did it? Lol. It's laughable. The core group continues to fail after he doubled, tripled down on it. Every fanbase has to have belief in their front office to produce and get better. That belief with Shanny running things is gone. Anyone saying otherwise is delusional.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think some people are making the incorrect assumption that the writer's job is to provide a fair and unbiased assessment.

His job is to sell hits and subscriptions, which is most easily done by posting controversial content.

Which teams have the biggest fanbases, and how can I interest them in paying to read something? List them either far too high (Montreal) or far too low (Toronto).

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarkSittler

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Raps are run very differently than the leafs. Masai is actually the GM (he's also been a GM in the league for a long time) and runs the team, so in essence that's Pelley's GM reporting to him. Masai won't be going anywhere anytime soon, plus they are rebuilding now after delivering a chip. They fumbled Siakam/FVV core but they moved off that now. Leafs are different with Shanny. He's never been a GM. He sits on the sidelines and lets his GM make the moves while sticking his nose in. Very dysfunctional operation IMO which is why they have had limited success.

Masai is the Raps Vice-Chairman, Team President and Alternate NBA Governor, Bobby Webster is the Rap's General Manager, Shanny holds a similar role as the Team President & Alternate Governor.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Disgruntled fan click bait, fueling further angst.
Frothers live for this.
Hate wishing the summer away but the season needs to start. This has easily been the most idiotic off season of all time.

Reactions: Fogelhund

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. I almost wish Dubas' power play to get a "President of Hockey Operations" title was successful at the expense of Shanahan who was like "hold on Kyle, the job and salary you want is mine".

I think Dubas would've traded Marner before his NMC kicked in as his last interviews basically said he'd given up on betting on the core when the core returned the favor by dumping a pile of crap on the ice during the playoffs.

As much as I can't stand Mr. "We-can-and-we-will", he was ejected before he got a chance to dump Marner and now because of Shanny's lack of a plan for the future, we are in the run-it-back situation that nobody wants, except for maybe Marner and Ferris.

All the while Tre is nothing but a puppet for Shanny, who's unable to do anything without getting his blessing first. Shanny is the reason this team has a bottom 3 front office, not Tre or Dubas before him.

Reactions: The Masters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad