GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No he didn't, but he had a gambling addiction, broke COVID-restrictions multiple times, and there were accusations of domestic violence and whatnot. He was toxic AF when his contract was terminated by the Sharks. Yet still, over half of the league were willing to sign him.
But these were mostly rumours. He got caught breaking COVID rules, yes; hardly the worst crime in the world. The gambling rumours have never been substantiated, nor have the domestic violence accusations and if you know Kane's ex-GF from Instagram you'll see she is bat shit crazy and there's a reason Kane of all people got full custody of his daughter.

Kane never left his team high and dry three times due to drugs. That is WAY worse.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Does Nuke’s stage ever get reset?

He’s currently stage 3 I believe. Is there a time period that exists where he’s no longer at that stage?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
No he didn't, but he had a gambling addiction, broke COVID-restrictions multiple times, and there were accusations of domestic violence and whatnot. He was toxic AF when his contract was terminated by the Sharks. Yet still, over half of the league were willing to sign him.

You guys are seriously underestimating how much risky bets teams are willing to take on perceived problem players.

If Nuke f***s up again, his contract is finished in the NHL. There is absolutely no risk for a team. The only risk would be him disappearing in the playoffs, but do you think contending teams can afford his cap hit anyway?

If Nuke was terminated and a UFA, there would be a ton of teams after him. The problem with Nuke right now is the contract. You're signing up for 6 seasons of risk at 6.125m cap hit. As we are experiencing now, it is hard to build a roster with $6m question mark. Yeah there is a possibility of not being reinstated... but with that, you'd be expecting to have a 6m hole on the roster during the playoffs.

Kane being a UFA simply meant the risk was confined to that season and at a much lower cap hit (~2.1m IIRC). He was re-upped on his behavior. Along with that, Kane's offenses were not a guaranteed suspension. If Nuke is caught again, he's out for a year at minimum. Which will impact 2 seasons worth of cap.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This myth needs to die ASAP. That's not what's in the CBA.
In practical terms, that is what's going to happen. Because he's suspended for a year without pay. He isn't guaranteed to be reinstated. Do you think he will actually wait and see what is going to happen instead of signing in the KHL?

Reactions: tucker3434

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Does Nuke’s stage ever get reset?

He’s currently stage 3 I believe. Is there a time period that exists where he’s no longer at that stage?
This information isn't out in the public sphere. It is probably likely there is a reset, but it would be pure speculation as to when that would trigger.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
This information isn't out in the public sphere. It is probably likely there is a reset, but it would be pure speculation as to when that would trigger.
Well, in practical terms, it doesn’t really matter if we, as fans, know what it is.
It’s more that the organizations know if it exists. A reset could re-instate his trade value.

Obviously if that reset is multi-year, it’s unlikely to ever matter.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In practical terms, that is what's going to happen. Because he's suspended for a year without pay. He isn't guaranteed to be reinstated. Do you think he will actually wait and see what is going to happen instead of signing in the KHL?
The last seasons of his contract average around $5m per year. The KHL can't support that level of salary. IIRC Radulov is only making ~1.3m and was a top 5 paid player. There's a very big reason for him to try to come back.

Well, in practical terms, it doesn’t really matter if we, as fans, know what it is.
It’s more that the organizations know if it exists. A reset could re-instate his trade value.

Obviously if that reset is multi-year, it’s unlikely to ever matter.
I'm sure they know it. Practically speaking with the timing of his current and potentially next suspension. We're looking at years... not months in regards to a reset.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If he's owed 35M on his guaranteed contract yes he probably will

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The last seasons of his contract average around $5m per year. The KHL can't support that level of salary. IIRC Radulov is only making ~1.3m and was a top 5 paid player. There's a very big reason for him to try to come back.
It absolutely is a reason for him to try again now. But when he's suspended for 1 year with no guarantee of a return? And if he signs a professional contract somewhere else during that timeperiod, that is grounds for termination.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It absolutely is a reason for him to try again now. But when he's suspended for 1 year with no guarantee of a return? And if he signs a professional contract somewhere else during that timeperiod, that is grounds for termination.
Which is why he wouldn't be likely to do it... were talking 10-20m more in the NHL. Even if the KHL offered 9m for 3 years, he just has to get reinstated, play half of 25-26 and 26-27 to make that amount. He stays clean until the start of the 28-29 season, he adds 6.8m to that. There is a lot of financial incentive for him to try to return. Now if he's not reinstated, he certainly would sign in the KHL right away.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't think he'd sabotage the chance to get his money just to play an extra year in the KHL.

Either way, we're very far from the narrative that teams can trade for him because if he gets caught another time his contract is invalid.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Also as an interesting tidbit. This was quickly mentioned in the Nuke thread itself, but CJ said on his show that Colorado is telling teams that they aren't trading Nuke right now, they are waiting for him to complete the program. CJ knows his stuff, so I have no reason to doubt his reporting. He might not have taps into the Avs front office (because no-one does), but he does have taps around the league. Other teams have shown interest, if the Avs have to tell them stuff like this.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't think he'd sabotage the chance to get his money just to play an extra year in the KHL.

Either way, we're very far from the narrative that teams can trade for him because if he gets caught another time his contract is invalid.

It's only going to be his money if he can stay in the lineup.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So what does our lineup look like to start the season? Assuming Landy is not ready to start the season and no Val. I’m also gonna assume Lehky is good to go day one..

Drouin-MacK-Mikko
Lehky-Mitts-LOC
Kelly-Colton-Wood
Kiviranta-Wagner-Kovalenko

Toews-Makar
Girard-Manson
De Haan-Brannstrom

Georgiev
Annunen

We need Landy and Val back or that’s a 1st round exit roster

Reactions: Linds

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Drouin-MacK-Mikko
Lehky-Mitts-LOC
Kelly-Colton-Wood
Kiviranta-Wagner-Kovalenko
Close but Kelly should be on the 4th line and Lehky probably won't start the season. I expect Ritchie to play 9 games so there's your Lehky replacement.

Also we better find a way to get a real 4C.

Edit: can't have LOC in the top 6 either.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Close but Kelly should be on the 4th line and Lehky probably won't start the season. I expect Ritchie to play 9 games so there's your Lehky replacement.

Also we better find a way to get a real 4C.

Edit: can't have LOC in the top 6 either.
Without Landy, Val and if Lehky isn’t ready to start the season either, what other choice do the Avs have but to put LOC or Wood in the top 6? Whoever you put in there is gonna be the same. Maybe they can try Kovy there, maybe Ritchie, it’s gonna have the same impact. We need Landy, Val and Lehky. There is no way around it

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow1

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Without Landy, Val and if Lehky isn’t ready to start the season either, what other choice to the Avs have but to put LOC or Wood in the top 6? Whoever you put in there is gonna be the same. Maybe they can try Kovy there, maybe Ritchie, it’s gonna have the same impact. We need Landy, Val and Lehky. There is no way around it
We'll have injuries too. If Kovalenko still sucks and can't play middle 6 it's gonna be an issue. At the very least 3rd line.

Reactions: the_fan

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Nuke stuff kind of reminds me of Kadri with Toronto. “He’s never available in the playoffs because of his own dumb decisions.” There’s definitely doing to be a team out there that is willing to take that risk and, like us, they might be right

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If Nuke is back and "good to go" he'll be on the Avs at least through end of 2024-25.
He'll then either show signs he's past his issues and likely retained by the Avs or he'll mess up again and be effectively out of the league.

edit: should state that is my prediction of what will happen, not what I necessarily think the org wants to happen.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The Nuke stuff kind of reminds me of Kadri with Toronto. “He’s never available in the playoffs because of his own dumb decisions.” There’s definitely doing to be a team out there that is willing to take that risk and, like us, they might be right
Getting busted 3x (publicly) within 13mos, 2 of those times *during a playoff run* is not the same as Kadri’s situation in Toronto. Not even in the slightest

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad