GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kadri getting suspended just expedited the process of Toronto trading him. When they signed Tavares, he was always getting traded at some point because he was a luxury they couldn't afford.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Went full Vegas on this one:

TO COL
Crosby, Sidney ($4,350,000 retained)

TO PIT
Girard, Samuel
Gulyayev, Mikhail
Wood, Miles
2025 2nd round pick (NYR)
2026 2nd round pick (COL)

FA Tyler Johnson $2.0m x 1

Nichushkin - Crosby - MacKinnon
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Rantanen
Drouin - Colton - Lehkonen
Kelly - Johnson - LOC

Toews - Makar
Brannstrom - Manson
De Hann - Malinski

Georgiev
Annunen

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Getting busted 3x (publicly) within 13mos, 2 of those times *during a playoff run* is not the same as Kadri’s situation in Toronto. Not even in the slightest

I don't think it's as different as people want to believe. GM's love the idea of getting a good player for cheap and "fixing" them. We do it regularly.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't think it's as different as people want to believe. GM's love the idea of getting a good player for cheap and "fixing" them. We do it regularly.
One had a history of borderline play that would result in very short suspensions (relatively speaking); the other has just been suspended for a minimum of 6 months, and seems increasingly likely to catch another positive test and be suspended for a year and could possibly never play in the NHL again.

I still wouldn’t say they share any similarities

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Without Landy, Val and if Lehky isn’t ready to start the season either, what other choice do the Avs have but to put LOC or Wood in the top 6? Whoever you put in there is gonna be the same. Maybe they can try Kovy there, maybe Ritchie, it’s gonna have the same impact. We need Landy, Val and Lehky. There is no way around it

O'Connor and Wood played a crap load in the top-6 last year.

Lehkonen only played 28/63 games before the trade deadline. Tatar/Johansen/Drouin was a thing, but their ice time was low. Tatar got dealt, Nuke went into stage 2 of the program, Drouin bumped up. The Avs lines for a huge chunk of the season were:

Drouin-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Wood-Colton-O'Connor
Cogliano-Johansen-Kiviranta(Parise)
MacDermid-Olofsson-Kiviranta/Meyers/Polin/Wagner

Horrendous, but they still won a ton of games, even with abysmal goaltending.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Went full Vegas on this one:

TO COL
Crosby, Sidney ($4,350,000 retained)

TO PIT
Girard, Samuel
Gulyayev, Mikhail
Wood, Miles
2025 2nd round pick (NYR)
2026 2nd round pick (COL)

FA Tyler Johnson $2.0m x 1

Nichushkin - Crosby - MacKinnon
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Rantanen
Drouin - Colton - Lehkonen
Kelly - Johnson - LOC

Toews - Makar
Brannstrom - Manson
De Hann - Malinski

Georgiev
Annunen
Oh my friend, that is not getting anyone Crosby lol

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The Avs will be well below the cap limit at the start of the season. They’ll be able to poach whatever guys try to go through waivers until bodies start coming back.

Reactions: Richard88

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
One had a history of borderline play that would result in very short suspensions (relatively speaking); the other has just been suspended for a minimum of 6 months, and seems increasingly likely to catch another positive test and be suspended for a year and could possibly never play in the NHL again.

I still wouldn’t say they share any similarities

I'm not sure the "never play again" thing is a negative. To me, it's insurance. This isn't some dude with a bad back who you'll have to pay $6m for 20 points. Either he gets clean and you pay him or he doesn't and you don't. For a contender, that's a difficult situation to manage. For a bubble team, less so.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
According to capfriendly, we will have 17 mill deadline cap space. So if we get Landy, Val and LOC back, that will leave us with 3 mill cap space if I’m doing the math right

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not sure the "never play again" thing is a negative. To me, it's insurance. This isn't some dude with a bad back who you'll have to pay $6m for 20 points. Either he gets clean and you pay him or he doesn't and you don't. For a contender, that's a difficult situation to manage. For a bubble team, less so.
But for a contender is it worth the risk of taking up a roster spot and a somewhat significant chunk of cap for a guy that will likely bail on your during a cup run?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad