GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We gotta be able to keep Rants under Nate's AAV, right?

Either way, I don't think we can ice a roster with Mikko making in the $12m ballpark.
I'm not in the camp that believes that. Rants got paid more than MacK once before and MacK will be in year 3 of his deal when Rants' deal starts. I'm in the camp that thinks it'll be 13m +/- 250k.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm not in the camp that believes that. Rants got paid more than MacK once before and MacK will be in year 3 of his deal when Rants' deal starts. I'm in the camp that thinks it'll be 13m +/- 250k.

If that's how talks go, I don't even think it's a choice.

But I also would've hoped that conversation had taken place sometime last month and then gotten resolved in the last week.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If that's how talks go, I don't even think it's a choice.

But I also would've hoped that conversation had taken place sometime last month and then gotten resolved in the last week.
I think we will have an announcement in September/October for his new deal. Similar to Toews/MacK.

IMO we already see the market resetting in real time. Guentzel, who is a great player, but not Rants... got 9m. All the various crazy high signings over the last few days. Nylander in the midst of a great season, but coming off 'mere' 40g PPG sort of numbers got 11.5m. Panarin's deal is entering year 6. We look bound to have that reset up happening very soon. How much that reset is where the debate comes in... is it more 500k or is its 1.5m?

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Seriously the dude is going to get like 14M. If Jason f***ing Zucker can get 5M coming off like 25pts, or Stephenson gets 7M, what the f*** can Rantanen demand coming off multiple 100+ pts seasons, most likely, since we all know Bednar will kill 29 and 96 again trying to drag our subpar roster.

I know the above are possibly the 2 most absurd contracts from the other day but don't think agents don't see that shit, and tell their clients I can get you whatever dollar amount you want if you are willing to play anywhere.

Kakko isn't it, but we really turn 96s 13-14M into at minimum 2 players not 1.
Yeah I'd like to think Mikko would get us an elc player as well as someone on term. This discussion is cyclical until something happens, but who would you target?

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
IMO we already see the market resetting in real time. Guentzel, who is a great player, but not Rants... got 9m. All the various crazy high signings over the last few days. Nylander in the midst of a great season, but coming off 'mere' 40g PPG sort of numbers got 11.5m. Panarin's deal is entering year 6. We look bound to have that reset up happening very soon. How much that reset is where the debate comes in... is it more 500k or is its 1.5m?
Is it too much to hope for a Reinhart type deal?

I'm kidding, I know that's not realistic given Mikko's pedigree and consistent point production.

The Guentzel contract seems weird to me and a reach by Tampa. They've handed out a few bad, long contracts to players over the past couple years. McDonagh (traded then reacquired), Sergachev (traded), probably another one or two I'm forgetting.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Imagine a summer (2025) where potentially Mikko, Draisaitl, Marner, and Crosby are all UFAs. I suspect most or all are extended before that but that record over 1 billion spent on Day One would get busted even faster.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Is it too much to hope for a Reinhart type deal?

I'm kidding, I know that's not realistic given Mikko's pedigree and consistent point production.

The Guentzel contract seems weird to me and a reach by Tampa. They've handed out a few bad, long contracts to players over the past couple years. McDonagh (traded then reacquired), Sergachev (traded), probably another one or two I'm forgetting.
The (very) optimistic deal would be 8x11

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Tyler Johnson is an interesting name still out there. Probably my top choice for 4C at the moment if he felt like trying to win again. Another smaller guy though which Bednar doesn't want.
Avs need a 4C who is strong defensively, can PK, and win draws. Tyler Johnson is none of those things.

The org seem pretty keen to make Pavel work at 4C so guessing he'll get a long look in preseason, with Wagner as the backup.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Avs need a 4C who is strong defensively, can PK, and win draws. Tyler Johnson is none of those things.

The org seem pretty keen to make Pavel work at 4C so guessing he'll get a long look in preseason, with Wagner as the backup.
Pavel would be a disaster... just zero puck skill and that line would get hemmed in a lot.

The Lundell deal is a gem long-term for the Panthers. He showed he can play a 2C role in the playoffs and he very likely will when Bennett walks. Panthers actually look better than I thought they would with the situation they are in. They'll need to grab a top 4 puck mover at the deadline, but they should at least stay in the top half of the East.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If the rumour that CMac wanted a cost-controlled RHD for Colton were to come to fruition it would set up a pretty interesting blue line now that Brännström is in the fold as well:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Brännström - RHD
DeHaan

I'd assume that the 3RHD would be a physical PK'ing type in the Josh Manson mould, meaning that you'd essentially have a carbon copy of the 2nd pair on the 3rd pair, with a great transition Dman and a bigger shutdown type.

Pavel would be a disaster... just zero puck skill and that line would get hemmed in a lot.

The Lundell deal is a gem long-term for the Panthers. He showed he can play a 2C role in the playoffs and he very likely will when Bennett walks. Panthers actually look better than I thought they would with the situation they are in. They'll need to grab a top 4 puck mover at the deadline, but they should at least stay in the top half of the East.
I don't disagree, but until the Avs actually make a move for a 4C that will seem like the approach they're taking.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't disagree, but until the Avs actually make a move for a 4C that will seem like the approach they're taking.
I'd say Wags is the clear top option unless they grab a guy cheap or have a PTO. Then Ivan then Pavel.

There should be nothing from last season's performance by Pavel to think that he's at all an option for the 4C NHL role. Frankly, he probably shouldn't be in the running for the 4C role in Windsor...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Panthers better hope Lundell can improve offensively.

The playoffs was a real good showing, but the last two regular seasons haven't been all that promising after a strong rookie season.

Don't nobody wanna be paying a 3C 6M per.
It's 5m, not 6m... which is Gourde/JGP money for an elite 3C (which he clearly already is). The offense is there when he elevates up the lineup, and it shows when Bennett is out. Just a matter of time before he puts up ~60 a season. Low risk, decent reward sort of contract.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's 5m, not 6m... which is Gourde/JGP money for an elite 3C (which he clearly already is). The offense is there when he elevates up the lineup, and it shows when Bennett is out. Just a matter of time before he puts up ~60 a season. Low risk, decent reward sort of contract.
Idk why I read 6x6 from someone here. Too early for this shit. Summers off ruins me.

Anyways, f*** Lundell and f*** Florida

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
IMG_6179.jpeg

Sounds like the Pens want Tarasenko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad