Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Can only be one year because he can be UFA next year

Swayman is UFA eligible in 26

I thought it was July ‘26 also. Why I said I thought he could select 2 years.
This and next.

IMG_0941.gif

• Haha
Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'll say this about the idea of Lysell on L2 w/ Marchand & Coyle.....they'll help him become a more responsible player away from the puck because that's how they play.
If Lysell doesn't make it this year and Poitras gets off to a great start, would they ever look at 63-51-13?
I see a lot of proposals pushing the veteran center Geekie to the wing to make room for Poitras to play in the middle. Which to me is counter-productive, let the veteran man the more defensive position and let Poitras adjust to the NHL with less defensive responsibility.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think, and would like @DominicT to chime in, is Sway wouldnt be eligible for a NTC/NMC for this and next season. It has to be the year you could be a UFA.

So, thats somewhat important I would think. From Bruins control perspective as well as agent wanting heavy weighted signing bonus those years.
A player is not eligible until age 27

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Bruins can get Coyle back on third line with Frederic they have a killer bottom 6 ~ certainly size & physically

Their top line is high end (previous 5 years before this shit show Lindholm averaged close to 75 points)

Their D and G is elite

If Poitras can play second line they are in business

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I really thought it was 2025. I stand corrected.

I used to do the annoying math/research to figure out it out. Then I realized recently Puckpedia actually lists what year they become UFA eligible

A player is not eligible until age 27

Are you referring to a player being able to have an NTC/NMC when you say they aren't eligible until age 27?

Auston Matthews had an NMC this season and he's 26.

Last edited:

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Yep, but the buyout has to be greater than 4M. I dont see anyone of that status they would want to buy out.
Is that cap hit or contract? Would it apply to Korpisalo who has a contract paying 5M; and cap hit of 4 million that Ottawa is retain 25% ish on?

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I think this might be a board generated idea that came to life, basically repetition becoming reputation. Before this last season, Coyle's best year of his career came while playing primarily as a winger. I honestly don't remember him being bad on the wing as a Bruin in his limited time there and would love to see some numbers to back this up ( for or against ) if anyone has them.

Really hard to pull numbers like that but in 19-20 season he was part of the merry-go-round use on Krejci’s RW. While he was OK, his game didn’t take off until he was placed back at center behind Krejci and Bergeron.

People are certainly welcome to make the argument that it was a small sample size and maybe his game didn’t mesh well with Krejci. But to move him to wing after a career year last year at center seems like a bad move to me.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Realize many here have no use for Joe Haggerty, who, though perhaps in love with himself, knows the game.

So too does the recursive, ambulating yet knowledgeable Mick Colageo.

The latest edition of the "Pucks With Haggs" podcast is well worth checking, on several fronts,

Recursive and ambulating sending me to Google before my coffee

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I used to do the annoying math/research to figure out it out. Then I realized recently Puckpedia actually lists what year they become UFA eligible

Are you referring to a player being able to have an NTC/NMC when you say they aren't eligible until age 27?

Auston Matthews had an NMC this season and he's 26.
You're right. My bad. If a player plays in their 18 or 19 year old season, then a year comes off.

The general rule of thumb is a player is eligible for trade protection when they become UFA. But there are very rare exceptions.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Korpi does not meet the requirements to be bought out in the second buyout window:

1) Player must have a cap hit greater than $4 million (he does not)
2) Players must be on the roster on the most recent trade deadline (he was not)
little OT here Dom, I heard you mention your wish to see Lysell spend the summer in Boston rather than hang with his buddies all summer again in Sweden, sorry if mentioned but did he remain in Boston that you know of?

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
I’m not convinced Lysell is ready yet so I would love to take a shot at acquiring Oliver Wahlstrom or Cody Glass if there’s a deal to be had for either. Nashville needs to create cap relief and may consider depth in return (IE Wotherspoon and rights to Marc McLaughlin), bring Mitchell up as #7. Not sure what the Islanders might want for Wahlstrom but I suspect it wouldn’t be a lot. Either guy would be good insurance on RW per chance Lysell struggles to earn the second line job, particularly Glass who can play C and do the same if Poitras needs seasoning.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Korpi does not meet the requirements to be bought out in the second buyout window:

1) Player must have a cap hit greater than $4 million (he does not)
2) Players must be on the roster on the most recent trade deadline (he was not)
I read or heard somewhere in my travels last week that Goalie Bob likes him and he’s targeted for the backup barring something crazy

I know we might not but I’ll defer to Essensa

I think with this team and goalie room/staff he’s more likely to be very good then bad

I’m not convinced Lysell is ready yet so I would love to take a shot at acquiring Oliver Wahlstrom or Cody Glass if there’s a deal to be had for either. Nashville needs to create cap relief and may consider depth in return (IE Wotherspoon and rights to Marc McLaughlin), bring Mitchell up as #7. Not sure what the Islanders might want for Wahlstrom but I suspect it wouldn’t be a lot. Either guy would be good insurance on RW per chance Lysell struggles to earn the second line job, particularly Glass who can play C and do the same if Poitras needs seasoning.
Feel like Bruins want confirmation one way or the other on Lysell and the only way is a Chris Bourque-like chance

He’s slick and quick and goes balls to wall into the heavy areas

I never thought one time watching him live he was soft - kinda the opposite lol

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
I read or heard somewhere in my travels last week that Goalie Bob likes him and he’s targeted for the backup barring something crazy

I know we might not but I’ll defer to Essensa

I think with this team and goalie room/staff he’s more likely to be very good then bad

Feel like Bruins want confirmation one way or the other on Lysell and the only way is a Chris Bourque-like chance

He’s slick and quick and goes balls to wall into the heavy areas

I never thought one time watching him live he was soft - kinda the opposite lol
Agreed, he’s not soft for sure. I think all depends on his game without the puck. That’s not his forte but maybe two years in Providence and physical development have increased his awareness and overall development in that department. I hope so, his offensive potential is very good. We’ll see soon enough.

Reactions: DKH

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I would rather finish 7-8 in the conference and give the kids a legit chance to play than finish higher up with older vets who have a hard time with the pace and toughness of the playoffs. I would rather a Lysell than a JVR. They obviously have to earn it but give them a legit chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad