GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Based on @Pierce Hawthorne math on Nuke's caphit now that we have the schedule, Avs would still be over the cap with a 21 man roster. They couldn't have given Brannstrom 850k instead of 900k .. smh.

View attachment 891675

Assuming Landeskog is healthy for the start of the season is crazy optimistic IMO. I think they'd be lucky to get him back in December, and that should help with the cap a bit.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Assuming Landeskog is healthy for the start of the season is crazy optimistic IMO. I think they'd be lucky to get him back in December.

If we have to add another $775k to the lineup to start the season, it’s gonna make things even tighter.

If we could bank LTIR space, we’d be in great shape.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If we could bank LTIR space, we’d be in great shape.

That's what I'm saying. At this point in the summer I'd assume Landeskog is on LTIR for at least October and November. That brings his cap hit down a bit - I'm too lazy to go figure out exactly how much.

We'll see what happens with Nuke.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
But LTIR doesn’t reduce cap. It allows you to go over the cap. But once Landeskog’s comes back, his entire cap hit needs to fit.

Nuke is prorated. Landeskog is not.

Unless I’ve completed misunderstood LTIR again

Reactions: AslanRH

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That's what I'm saying. At this point in the summer I'd assume Landeskog is on LTIR for at least October and November. That brings his cap hit down a bit - I'm too lazy to go figure out exactly how much.

We'll see what happens with Nuke.

I don't think it does. I think we need to be exceptionally healthy for 37 days, and after that, we could use some LTIR overage space. But for 37 days while Nuke is off the books, we need to bank as much cap space as possible. From a cap perspective, might not be a bad idea for Wood to spend a couple weeks with the eagles.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
But LTIR doesn’t reduce cap. It allows you to go over the cap. But once Landeskog’s comes back, his entire cap hit needs to fit.

Nuke is prorated. Landeskog is not.

Unless I’ve completed misunderstood LTIR again

It's more complex than that. There's technically a daily cap, every day Landeskog remains on LTIR and his cap hit doesn't count against the Avs, the Avs are banking cap space for later in the season (depending on how much of that cap savings they use while he's out - aka going over the cap).

This year looks like it could be better for the Avs than last year. Last year they were using pretty much all of Landy's LTIR money throughout the season, this year (at the moment) it only looks like they have to use a small portion of it to ice their roster early in the year.

1720011833681.png

If Landy tries to come back and fails, the Avs should have a good amount of cap space at the trade deadline to do something bigger.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's more complex than that. There's technically a daily cap, every day Landeskog remains on LTIR and his cap hit doesn't count against the Avs, the Avs are banking cap space for later in the season (depending on how much of that cap savings they use while he's out - aka going over the cap).
That's incorrect, teams don't accrue cap space for players on LTIR. They count against the cap.

If you want to bank cap space you need to be under the cap while counting the cap hits of all your guys in LTIR

Reactions: cinchronicity

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The most practical way to think about LTIR is that it allows you to exceed the cap, but when doing so you don't accrue. If you are under the limit LTIR doesn't allow you to accrue more, just the space that was there previously you can accrue. There is more nuance than that, but general rule.

The Avs will accrue while Nuke is out, and then likely eat into that accrual once he returns leaving very minimal space due to that. The ability to have space at the deadline will be paying for retention, possibly dumping some salary, and any injury that will extend into the playoffs.

Reactions: Frenchy

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The 20 man roster below is $683,750 over the cap ceiling. Factoring in ~1.2m relief from Nichushkin being pro-rated makes the roster cap compliant (even accounting for a $775k replacement for Nichushkin which would eat into the pro-rated "savings" until November).

However, even with the pro-rating the Avs still wouldn't be able to add a 21st player to the roster. Replacing waiver-exempt Kovalenko ($896k) with someone at $775k would create an extra $120k in space, but that's still not enough for a 21st guy. What they could and and probably will do however is send Kovalenko "down" on paper on non gamedays to try to maximise capspace, but that won't make a huge difference on its own (they did this with Ben Meyers last season).

Essentially the team will be walking a fine line in terms of roster size, as even just one or two short-term injuries could make things extremely difficult.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Nichushkin
Wood - Colton - Lehkonen
Kelly - Kovalenko* - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
DeHaan - Brännström

* waivers exempt

This situation does make you wonder if CMac has some trade plans to try to open up enough capspace to run with a 21/22/23 man roster.

The most logical candidates would be Wood or Colton, and maybe Georgiev IF (big if) you could replace him with an ELC goalie (i.e. Askarov).

Alternatively if Brännström and/or Behrens impress a lot early on in the season maybe trading Girard becomes something to consider, especially of you could get a young RHD in return and roll with:

Toews - Makar
Brännström - Manson
De Haan - RHD

That said, again a lot would have to happen with Brännström for that idea to even be worth seriously considering further.

Most likely CMac will aim to ride with this 20 man roster until Nichushkin returns, and deal with whatever cap constraints arise then.

Reactions: tucker3434

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
As is, assuming everyone is healthy and Nuke suspended,
Avs can start the season with a 22 man roster with a cap hit of around $85m + $6.1m on suspension.

This is going to be a long summer if we are going to micro analyze this to death with so many variables not yet sorted. At least let us get through arbitration season as teams will have another round of choices to make once that dust settles.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's gonna be fun next year with Rants getting a 4M raise
Seriously the dude is going to get like 14M. If Jason f***ing Zucker can get 5M coming off like 25pts, or Stephenson gets 7M, what the f*** can Rantanen demand coming off multiple 100+ pts seasons, most likely, since we all know Bednar will kill 29 and 96 again trying to drag our subpar roster.

I know the above are possibly the 2 most absurd contracts from the other day but don't think agents don't see that shit, and tell their clients I can get you whatever dollar amount you want if you are willing to play anywhere.

I'm sure there's better wingers out there, but this is kind of low-key why I want kakko, if he figures things out here he'd get that raise but it probably wouldn't kill us.
Kakko isn't it, but we really turn 96s 13-14M into at minimum 2 players not 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad