Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
No , skinner is bad . Oilers need to fill out these spots with hopes of players That can produce and they Will if playing with mcdavid . Skinner arent someone playing in top 6 normaly . And he dont suits as 3-4 line player Not working , if you have mcdavid it works .
Skinner has been on awful teams basically his whole career and still put up 25-30 goals the last bunch of years. You also don’t think he will be motivated to finally get into the playoffs? He sure sounded like it when I saw his interview after he was traded. A lot of teams were interested in him and he took less money because he knows how good edm is.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
So they can trade him for the biggest need on their team….

I don’t get how people are so shocked at this. The sabres are absolutely loaded with talent in their pipeline. This is exactly how we need to use it. Fill the remaining needs on our team. A big 3C that very good defensively is EXACTLY what we’ve been waiting for.

Savoie has had some lagging injury stuff since we drafted him too which was slightly concerning. He’s overkill For us at this point.
Sorry bro, but McLeod is not that guy. He could barely score when strapped to Drai on the wing.

Savoie is a craaaazy good return

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
He has a sports hernia, he never was “unhealthy”.

People forget that Edmonton was literally the only team in the league who was interested in him, I doubt that sentiment has changed.
The Oilers were the only team interested in Kane? That’s not true at all, I remember the Caps and multiple others being in on him

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
So Buffalo has many high top picks because they’ve been awful for years, letting one go isn’t a big deal? It is a big deal because of what they got in return. McLeod is not a good center and that’s why Buffalo fans are thinking he was brought in for. He was only ever good as a wing player when he played with draisaitl. Edm got a high draft pick without needing to be awful and they gave up essentially a 4th line player. Oof.
Even hockey pundits are saying McLeod is a 3rd liner. Whether he's any good or not, I'll defer to Edmonton fans, but this isn't about a who won the trade debate for Buffalo. It's about need for the Sabres. Their bottom 6 has been non existent for years, this trade, when taken in to context of their moves this off season, fits the change occurring in the Sabres mngt philosophy of accumulating high draft talent. They know they have a good amount of top 6 potential in their pipeline, as you pointed out, losing for years affords that.
But it is the need to climb in to playoff spot contention that is driving them now, and once again, Savoie won't be missed in the Sabres pipeline.
For petes sake, you make it sound as though Savoie is the 2nd coming of Jagr. Give it a rest.

Funnymanrocco

Jul 4, 2015
Edmonton
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.
You are in for a disappointment. McLeod is very soft. Plays 5’5. No hands. King of flybys. If you think he fits the mold of 3c with snarl and a pain to play against your just in for a shock. Try 3LW with great speed and no hands or intensity.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Kinda like this trade for both teams.

I can see why the majority of posters see a high skilled prospect as a steal for a 3rd line player, but Savoie is a smaller player and is likely ends up a winger in the NHL, greatly reducing his overall value. He also comes with some serious concerns that can't be ignored. He's a fantastic prospect, but has already had a knee injury, a shoulder injury, an elbow injury, and has had concussions and is still really young. He plays a fearless style and will drive the net hard and that is probably going to be a big problem for his durability given his size in the pros.

If he stays healthy throughout his career, this could be an absolute steal for Edmonton, but Buffalo got value that they desperately needed and moved a smaller, "redundant to their system", injury prone winger while he has decent value.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Sorry bro, but McLeod is not that guy. He could barely score when strapped to Drai on the wing.

Savoie is a craaaazy good return
Edm got a high draft pick with tons of top 6 potential without having to be bad. And all they gave up was a 4th line player because they needed to get rid of some cap space. If buffalo think McLeod is their answer as a third line center good luck with that. Lol. This trade was highway robbery. One of the worst in some time.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Buffalo overpaid here. While it's an overpayment they can afford because they have a ton of Savoie-like prosects, they nonetheless overpaid. At least McLeod fits a need for them, and he is young, so he has a certain amount of upside still.
With that said, there's no way most of the people on here would've said the things they're saying about either Savoie or McLeod now after the trade if the trade hadn't been made. (There are always contrarians, so maybe one or two people would've.)
I do wonder about Savoie, though. We know that Kyle Dubas has no problem with smaller forwards. The Penguins would've also had Savoie scouted, because he played with Yager in Moose Jaw. I feel like Dubas would've given up multiple picks for Savoie if Savoie were a fantastic prospect. Either Kevyn Adams didn't call Dubas up to try to get picks for Savoie, or the Penguins just weren't that high on him for reasons other than his size.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Edm got a high draft pick with tons of top 6 potential without having to be bad. And all they gave up was a 4th line player because they needed to get rid of some cap space. If buffalo think McLeod is their answer as a third line center good luck with that. Lol. This trade was highway robbery. One of the worst in some time.
We shall see. Keep us all posted.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Just a wild overpayment by the Sabres unless they feel Savoie's potential has changed in the last year. This is a potential Erat-Forsberg type of deal.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Even hockey pundits are saying McLeod is a 3rd liner. Whether he's any good or not, I'll defer to Edmonton fans, but this isn't about a who won the trade debate for Buffalo. It's about need for the Sabres. Their bottom 6 has been non existent for years, this trade, when taken in to context of their moves this off season, fits the change occurring in the Sabres mngt philosophy of accumulating high draft talent. They know they have a good amount of top 6 potential in their pipeline, as you pointed out, losing for years affords that.
But it is the need to climb in to playoff spot contention that is driving them now, and once again, Savoie won't be missed in the Sabres pipeline.
For petes sake, you make it sound as though Savoie is the 2nd coming of Jagr. Give it a rest.
I guess it really depends what people are expecting out of McLeod. If you're expecting a soft, defensively responsible player with elite speed and very limited offence then you'll probably be happy with this pick up. If perimeter play and poor finishing ability gets your blood boiling then you're going to hate this player. I still think McLeod is better suited for the wing because he refuses to go to the tough areas or battle physically for pucks, but he is smart on the defensive side of things in terms of positioning, and he uses a good active stick along with his speed on the back check. He's also a very good penalty killer.

I have to imagine that we have mostly seen McLeod's peak offensively because a lot of his production even this year came when he was playing wing on Leon Draisaitl's line. Unless he completely overhauls his perimeter play, which is something coaches have been trying to make him do his entire life without even the slightest glimpse of him doing it, I can't exactly see how his offensive game grows any further.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I know what Buffalo needs. But just giving away a top 9 pick from only a few years ago with massive top 6 potential for a bottom 6 player who has struggled mightily at center and putting your hopes on that because that’s what Buffalo needs is suicidal. If McLeod fetched say a second rounder, fine, but a top 9 draft player? Good god, man. Lol.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't understand this from the Sabres POV, and I don't buy the "they have lots in their pipeline" bullshit. Savoie was a recent top 10 pick and all they got was a 3/4 center and a prospect that will be lucky to get a cup of coffee in the NHL. This is a terrible trade, they could have gotten a 2nd too and it'd still have been a terrible trade. And I actually like what McLeod brings to the table.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yall need to chill out.

Could have been saying the same about Peyton Krebs when he was traded.

No one knows this prospect better than Buffalo. Consider that.

There are lots of players drafted high that don't even turn out to be a Ryan McLeod.
Chill out? So you thought that McLeod was worth a 1st+.
Be honest and not just being a contrarian, if I told you that I think the Oilers could get Matthew Savoie (the equivalient of a 1st+) for McLeod you would have laughed me off the Oilers board.

Yeah Savoie might not pan out....duh, but the value of this is more than any Oiler fan could have imagined. As I said, I would have expected something like a 2nd for McLeod, this is much more than that. He's a 9th overall pick from 2 years ago that has done nothing but improve his performance since then, at least based on the numbers.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad