NHL Expansion back on agenda?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe someday.

Not sure if any team coming back to Arizona would carry the Coyotes name. Think the mood here seems to be to go in a different direction even with the Kachina logo being as popular as it was.
Of the trio of large markets I think Houston most likely of all to go with the established historical name of Aeros. Coyotes just no success to the name and countless bad owners. Might want to start fresh. Atlanta, kind of the same though not as bad off ice or having it drag out as long as in AZ.

But, getting a trademark is hard for anything that is a generic type name like Knights. I mean look at the name options Utah and Seattle put out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My guess is that Houston doesn’t go to the Aeros. They will want something fresh appealing to new fans.

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
I'll accept Phoenix or Firebird, nothing else.
hqdefault.jpg

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Of the trio of large markets I think Houston most likely of all to go with the established historical name of Aeros. Coyotes just no success to the name and countless bad owners. Might want to start fresh. Atlanta, kind of the same though not as bad off ice or having it drag out as long as in AZ.

But, getting a trademark is hard for anything that is a generic type name like Knights. I mean look at the name options Utah and Seattle put out.

I'm under the impression Utah has theirs worked out..... but it's taken a lot of negotiating ($$$$$$$$$)

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ironically..... Firebirds has been suggested as a replacement in Phoenix..

NHL could have a best of five series and make the cities play for it.

One should be the Firebirds, the other should be the Flame Birds.

(Mostly joking, but I absolutely favor teams not worrying about rivals encroaching on their nominative territory, like the Red Sox and White Sox. I will go to my grave insisting that the Stars should have been forced to leave the North Stars name in Minnesota, and take the name Lone Stars in Dallas.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad