NHL Expansion back on agenda?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Here's the thing: The Phoenix Coyotes moved to the suburbs. They wanted a hockey only arena. And now they're gone. Sports in the suburbs is a bad long term goal. Ask the Cleveland Cavaliers.

You need a strong regional brand, or to be a "national team" in your sport i.e. The NY Giants, Cowboys, Dolphins (they play in Miami Gardens), etc.

Otherwise, when starting a new team, give access to the entire region. It will be tough for someone from Decatur or Jonesboro to do the drive to Forsyth 2x a week for game.
Had they made the move to the suburbs of south Scottsdale as originally planned they would have been fine.

BTW…. the arena in Glendale was built with more than just hockey in mind. They had an NBA level basketball court floor. The high school state championships were played there for several years until it became too expensive for the AIA to rent the arena.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oh absolutely. I still remember the Thrashers going on a win or lose streak, and yet nary a syllable about the team was mentioned on 640 WGST. I remember the one billboard in town was at the Brookwood Interchange., and nowhere else. The NHL in Atlanta was almost one of the best-kept secrets in the city, and that's pretty damn depressing.

If the ownership -- whichever ownership group it might be -- storms out the gate with some solid marketing, it should go some distance toward making the rest of the metro area sit up and take notice. Whether it be Krause or Carter, I believe both of them have that plan firmly in mind. Both of them firmly believe in the NHL in Atlanta (and you'd be a knuckledragging moron to drop over $1bn on a franchise if you didn't).

While I understand where you're coming from, please refer back to: No one wants to go downtown, at all, ever, period.

There's a reason the Braves moved out of that area. I think once Ressler gets tired of trying to make State Farm Arena work, he too will move the Hawks out of downtown.

What works in some cities does not work in all cities.
Atlanta also has a reputation for being absolutely brutal for traffic. Another argument that you gotta bring it to the people.

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
OK, so let's say........best case scenario, Houston gets a franchise.

Should it be called the Aeros or the Apollos? Or something else altogether?

Let me know!

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
Apollos was used for a minor league team in Houston in the early 80s.

Aeros was the name of both the WHA team in the 1970s with Gordie Howe, and the IHL/AHL team in Houston. Not sure if the Wild still have the rights to that name.

Reactions: GreenHornet

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
OK, so let's say........best case scenario, Houston gets a franchise.

Should it be called the Aeros or the Apollos? Or something else altogether?

Let me know!
It depends on whether the owner of a Houston NHL team can secure the rights to the Aeros. According to the US Patent and Trademark Office, the current owner is the "Minnesota Hockey Ventures Group".

It's entirely possible that trademark can simply be given to Houston, should the organization choose to go that route. Else, they could probably go with the Houston Apollos.

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
Apollos was used for a minor league team in Houston in the early 80s.

Aeros was the name of both the WHA team in the 1970s with Gordie Howe, and the IHL/AHL team in Houston. Not sure if the Wild still have the rights to that name.
If it's available, Aeros is (to me, anyway) the only choice. I guess Apollos would be an appropriate if it's not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad