Post-Game Talk: NHL Entry Draft 2015 - Bruins Report Card

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Voted B as I have really only seen Zboril play but like what I`m hearing about the 2nd round picks alot from Kirk/Dom

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I wasn't pleased at all with the first round (mostly just cause reaching for Sennyshyn), liked our middle picks, didn't like our late round picks.

Went with a B I guess, seems like we made all safe picks, no one with a particularly high upside.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
F

Too many (actually all) of those top 6 picks used on players with limited upside.

I get taking the safe pick but you mean to tell me they couldn't take one or two guys who at least have high-level upside, the chance to be star players. Passing on Barzal and Connor was inexcusable. Even if they only took one of them it would of been easier to swallow.

Absolutely hate the Senyshyn pick. I get they liked him but with all the high-end value left on the board at that point they should of left him to see if he was there at 37. It's not like it would cripple the franchise if some team took him before the Bruins could take a shot at him at 37.

Right now it looks like this team loaded up on potential 3rd line forwards, 4/5/6 D-men and goal-tending when they probably had the best stable of young goaltenders in the league already.

Looks like they are focused on building a team from the bottom-half up, when everyone else is building teams from the top-half down.

And I'm not even basing this grade on the Hamilton or Lucic deals, or re-signing McQuaid when there is clearly no need for his services as a 3rd pair RD.

Reactions: Gnome17

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
I'm going with B only because the Hamilton trade did not evolve into a top 5 move up.

Every player drafted supposedly has good character and wants to be a Bruin.

They drafted all positions so it looks like they did what drafts are supposed to do, keep the system stocked as people develop. Hopefully some of them develop faster than others ala Bergeron, Pasternik.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
They must've felt 100% that Senyshyn was going in the first round. Gonna be intriguing to see how it pans out over the years.

Bruinguru

Jul 8, 2013
Saskatoon, SK
I think it's probably not as bad as people think and will probably end up being about a "C", but as of now we are the laughingstock of the rest of the NHL... Well, the fans anyway...

There's a winners/losers post in the NHL Draft forum, and it's unanimous who the "losers" are... In fact, somebody posted that they should change the title to "Winners and Bruins"...

That actually made me laugh...

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I voted D but it's more a D+ because I think the first round picks were poor choices or at least poor choices for when they picked. I think the one good thing was they looked a lot at wingers but mixed things up.

Bruins seem to have a lot of Dmen in the system right now from draftees up to the NHL roster. My problem is I'm struggling to see top 3 in any of them-except maybe Morrow who I think showed good poise in his NHL games but needs more NHL ice time.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I liked the players they picked and I'm excited to have them here.

But to go for a reach instead of trading down when you have 3 picks in absolute prime spots is just god awful asset management and kills me. Especially when those spots were a major part of the return for Dougie and Lucic.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think it's probably not as bad as people think and will probably end up being about a "C", but as of now we are the laughingstock of the rest of the NHL... Well, the fans anyway...

There's a winners/losers post in the NHL Draft forum, and it's unanimous who the "losers" are... In fact, somebody posted that they should change the title to "Winners and Bruins"...

That actually made me laugh...

Sad but true-at least we can laugh. Humor is about the only thing to help the bitter pill that was yesterday.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
The first-rounders we passed on look like no-brainers, but you never know. Lots of great stuff in the later rounds.

Question: how many of our major players from the past 5 years or so have come from 1st round vs. later rounds?

1st: Hamilton, Rask, Seguin, Horton
2nd: Begeron, Lucic,
3rd: Chara, Krejci, Marchand, Boychuk? (61st)
6th: Seidenberg
9th: Tim Thomas
Undrafted: Krug

Am I missing any?

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Gotta admit it does look a bit suspicious that the off-the-board picks at 14 and 15, plus the #13 are all represented by the same agency group, But then I guess you have to ask, what possible advantage is there to these players/agents to fix it so they get drafted by the Bruins in the first round?

Surely they would have been drafted by some other team in round 2 - possibly even a better team. I guess it's great to say you were a 1st-round pick, but that pedigree only matters if you play up to it. I don't see what would be in it to collude like that.

Looks like Sweeney and co identified their guys and went for them. I guess that kind of decisiveness is admirable. I hope it pans out. Time will tell.

I was a little miffed at Sweeney's pressers and comments yesterday though. For someone who's billed a great communicator, his language was quite obfuscatory and vague, I thought.

Dougie being "not comfortable" moving forward as a Bruin, etc. Why not just say he wanted more salary than they were willing to pay?

I expected more directness from Sweeney. Chia, in his own way, was more direct than this, even though he was also quite diplomatic in his word choice. To me, Chia seemed relatively more transparent in his lingo.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I actually loved all of the picks, I just can't get my head around this Hamilton trade.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I do like the picks they have, particularly Zboril and Carlo, but there was no excuse to pass on Connor and Barzal. Hell, I'd have been happier if they picked Konecny or Svechnikov.

With 3 picks you have to pick Zboril and maybe have one reach if you absolutely must (DeBrusk) but 2 total reaches?? If Senyshyn was so great they could have traded down for assets with their picks or packaged a few of their seconds for a late first/high second.

I do think they will profit from their picks, which is why I'm not giving him an F, but passing on both Connor and Barzal I can't go above a C.

j44thor

Mar 27, 2008
F
1st rd reaches
Trading a 5th rd pick this year for what should certainly be a worse 5th next year.
If you are trading a certainty you have to make sure you are improving your future draft position or getting additional picks back. It is bat**** insane to trade a pick this year for the same round next year with a team that should easily make the playoffs.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
gretzky has a great 1st track record. i have a question for everyone freaking out about Barzal and Connor.

If players last year like fabbri, Milano, and honka all fell and were available at 25, would you have freaked out over the pastrnak pick since the former 3 all were ranked higher? I think yes. The draft though isn't exact, and sometimes the 25th guy turns into a top 10. Sometimes a top 10 drops to the 50th best player in hindsight. If the reaches turn into Better players than the logical picks, who cares if they could have gambled and got them in the 2nd or traded back. If they didn't get them and they did turn into real players, they'd kick themselves for not taking "their" guy. I didn't grade it. We'll find out in 3 years how they look.

Btw another thing on senyshyn. Fast players taken where they were slotted a few years ago. Duclair, after the 1st, athanasiou, after the first. Both 1st round picks in a redraft. I wish we would have reached for duclair

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
gretzky has a great 1st track record. i have a question for everyone freaking out about Barzal and Connor.

If players last year like fabbri, Milano, and honka all fell and were available at 25, would you have freaked out over the pastrnak pick since the former 3 all were ranked higher? I think yes. The draft though isn't exact, and sometimes the 25th guy turns into a top 10. Sometimes a top 10 drops to the 50th best player in hindsight. If the reaches turn into Better players than the logical picks, who cares if they could have gambled and got them in the 2nd or traded back. If they didn't get them and they did turn into real players, they'd kick themselves for not taking "their" guy. I didn't grade it. We'll find out in 3 years how they look.

Btw another thing on senyshyn. Fast players taken where they were slotted a few years ago. Duclair, after the 1st, athanasiou, after the first. Both 1st round picks in a redraft. I wish we would have reached for duclair

Just dosen't seem logical to burn 14 and 15 on two who could have been in the early second round.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Impossible to say at this point, but will be keeping a close eye on how DeBrusk and Senyshyn develop compared to Connor and Barzal...

Zboril and the 2nd rounders, like all those picks as of now.

See how it all turns out and it'll be a while.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

So thats fair. BUT its a lot harder to come up with examples of teams that reached against the consensus successfully than it is to find examples of Scheifele-like errors.

Reactions: Lo97

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Just dosen't seem logical to burn 14 and 15 on two who could have been in the early second round.

Could have. They clearly would have rather not taken the chance they'd be gone. If anything it shows a ton of confidence in themselves. And a fearlessness about backlash. They know the public wants connor or Barzal. They know they're gonna be killed. But they know they like debrusk and senyshyn more so to hell with public opinion. They wanted those guys bad. Afraid they'd miss out trading Back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad