GDT: NHL Draft Combine: June 4-10, Buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
if Kakko can become a 30-30 player with jam, he's worth trading for. I think he still has untapped potential and a solid ceiling.
We need to stop thinking we can take shortcuts to being a perennial contender as if we are the smartest people in the room.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Marino's frequent guest for prospects, Steve "the snake" Boiverst had Stutzle 1st overall. And he's a French Quebecer! The amount of heat he took leading up to the draft was hotter than Havana. And he had Makar 1st overall his draft year.

Guess who he has 2nd overall this year, way ahead of 3rd overall?

Michkov.

There's nothing particularly wrong or edgy with having Michkov #2 in a vacuum.

Reactions: dinodebino

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This whole thing about not having Habs staff present in Russia for live viewings of Michkov, has its limits. It’s not as if there are no other ways around it.

Habs know people who are in direct contact with Michkov, who see him play regularly, who have been keeping tabs on his progress since he last appeared in an international tournament where everyone could be there to see.

Habs via Bobrov can communicate with Michkov directly. They also have Bobrov’s father who I believe scouts for the team. And a host of other means that we as fans are not privy to (including one of their coaches who was born in Toronto and who was interviewed recently by Anthony Martineau). Would anyone be surprised that they could get one or several of their contacts to provide exclusive video, analyses, data points?

A lot of the Russians who showed up with NHL teams in recent years have not fared poorly, despite said teams not having had direct and immediate involvement in the given players’ development while they waited on them to arrive in North America.

I’ll steer clear of geopolitics but who has any doubt that WAS will select Michkov if he slips to their drafting slot? The difference: they have several Russians in their organization already. They’re not worried.

If WAS can take the player only 3 slots behind us, why can’t we? What more intel would they have that we don’t or won’t have?

I can’t help but think that some of our reticence is due to how the prior management group did not draft Russians for whatever reason and how there are none in the prospect pool at the moment (correct me if I’m wrong). But, with Bobrov on board, if they still end up passing on Michkov, it’s likely cause they’ve done their due diligence. And they’ll also have to live with whatever ensues, especially if Michkov arrives in NA in 3 years and dominates. We will hold HuGo, Bobrov and Lapointe accountable.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
This whole thing about not having Habs staff present in Russia for live viewings of Michkov, has its limits. It’s not as if there are no other ways around it.

Habs know people who are in direct contact with Michkov, who see him play regularly, who have been keeping tabs on his progress since he last appeared in an international tournament where everyone could be there to see.

Habs via Bobrov can communicate with Michkov directly. They also have Michkov’s father who I believe scouts for the team. And a host of other means that we as fans are not privy to (including one of their coaches who was born in Toronto and who was interviewed recently by Anthony Martineau). Would anyone be surprised that they could get one or several of their contacts to provide exclusive video, analyses, data points?

A lot of the Russians who showed up with NHL teams in recent years have not fared poorly, despite said teams not having had direct and immediate involvement in the given players’ development while they waited on them to arrive in North America.

I’ll steer clear of geopolitics but who has any doubt that WAS will select Michkov if he slips to their drafting slot? The difference: they have several Russians in their organization already. They’re not worried.

If WAS can take the player only 3 slots behind us, why can’t we? What more intel would they have that we don’t or won’t have?

I can’t help but think that some of our reticence is due to how the prior management group did not draft Russians for whatever reason and how there are none in the prospect pool at the moment (correct me if I’m wrong). But, with Bobrov on board, if they still end up passing on Michkov, it’s likely cause they’ve done their due diligence. And they’ll also have to live with whatever ensues, especially if Michkov arrives in NA in 3 years and dominates. We will hold HuGo, Bobrov and Lapointe accountable.

I think this is a well deduced post.

I also think there is another factor involved: NHL types love players who play like Ryan Leonard. My personal opinion (14th on my final board): he's a reach whose biggest booster was not his own play, but Matthew Tkachuk's in these playoffs. And I dunno if anyone's noticed, but it seems like Tkachuk's playstyle does come with downsides physically over a long playoff run. He looked like he could barely play in the last game.

Will say this: Leonard is the player some kept pretending Yager was.

Reactions: Runner77

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

Habs via Bobrov can communicate with Michkov directly. They also have Michkov’s father who I believe scouts for the team. And a host of other means that we as fans are not privy to (including one of their coaches who was born in Toronto and who was interviewed recently by Anthony Martineau). Would anyone be surprised that they could get one or several of their contacts to provide exclusive video, analyses, data points?

All the smoke right now comes from teams that have won Cups and have had great experiences with Russians. Pittsburgh, Washington and Detroit. For Detroit it would be a 3rd generation if they get Michkov. Fedorov and company, than Datsyuk and now Michkov. We’ve had an ambiguous relation with Russians in Montreal. Kovalev was very good, but kind of a funny character. And some were public failures Like Malahkov.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All the smoke right now comes from teams that have won Cups and have had great experiences with Russians. Pittsburgh, Washington and Detroit. For Detroit it would be a 3rd generation if they get Michkov. Fedorov and company, than Datsyuk and now Michkov. We’ve had an ambiguous relation with Russians in Montreal. Kovalev was very good, but kind of a funny character. And some were public failures Like Malahkov.
There is an unfortunate failure rate no matter where the player comes from. Malakhov had all the talent in the world but was enigmatic and couldn’t consistently put it together. We just saw it with Drouin. And with Gomez. We can’t peg it on nationality.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
There is an unfortunate failure rate no matter where the player comes from. Malakhov had all the talent in the world but was enigmatic and couldn’t consistently put it together. We just saw it with Drouin. And with Gomez. We can’t peg it on nationality.
I agree but I think some media old timers still have flashbacks of Malakhov, who doesnt play because he’s sick and he’s on the front cover of the Journal de Montréal the next day because he was out skiing. And Markov had no f***ing personality and couldn’t do interviews. We had no Malkin or Ovechkin.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree but I think some media old timers still have flashbacks of Malakhov, who doesnt play because he’s sick and he’s on the front cover of the Journal de Montréal the next day because he was out skiing. And Markov had no f***ing personality and couldn’t do interviews. We had no Malkin or Ovechkin.
Well … what if Michkov is the Russian that becomes a franchise player? Can we afford to pass him up?

Reactions: Gravity and jaffy27

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I think this is a well deduced post.

I also think there is another factor involved: NHL types love players who play like Ryan Leonard. My personal opinion (14th on my final board): he's a reach whose biggest booster was not his own play, but Matthew Tkachuk's in these playoffs. And I dunno if anyone's noticed, but it seems like Tkachuk's playstyle does come with downsides physically over a long playoff run. He looked like he could barely play in the last game.

Will say this: Leonard is the player some kept pretending Yager was.
He's hurting badly because of the massive hit he received from Kolesar in Game 4. Not a wear and tear thing from a long playoff run. The Panthers have had more rest in the last 2.5 weeks than they've had all season. A 10-day layoff after the ECF and they've already had one 3-day stretch between games this series.

Kolesar really drilled him.

In any event, Tkachuk's playing style is a major reason why the Panthers have gone this far. The bodies of players from championship teams are always beat to hell when it's finally over.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Marinaro's frequent guest for prospects, Steve "the snake" Boiverst had Stutzle 1st overall. And he's a French Quebecer! The amount of heat he took leading up to the draft was hotter than Havana. And he had Makar 1st overall his draft year.

Michkov.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

He also has Musty in his top 5 - explain that one.

He also thinks Mailloux is a bust....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Except he was high on Quinn Hughes KK's year to name another one...

He already explained why he has Musty so high - though if I remember correctly he has him 6th: he said every year there are players that are overlooked (example Jason Robertson, Aho, Hertl, Terravainen) that end up being top 10 players in a re-draft. He sees Musty as such a player...

I'm very hopeful about Mailloux. But we'll only know if he's a success or a bust in 1 to 5 years...

Except he was high on Quinn Hughes KK's year to name another one...

He already explained why he has Musty so high - though if I remember correctly he has him 6th: he said every year there are players that are overlooked (example Jason Robertson, Aho, Hertl, Terravainen) that end up being top 10 players in a re-draft. He sees Musty as such a player...

I'm very hopeful about Mailloux. But we'll only know if he's a success or a bust in 1 to 5 years...

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Marinaro's frequent guest for prospects, Steve "the snake" Boiverst had Stutzle 1st overall. And he's a French Quebecer! The amount of heat he took leading up to the draft was hotter than Havana. And he had Makar 1st overall his draft year.

Michkov.
The snake just has as many bad calls than good ones. Geekie 1st OV, Musty top 5. Was saying that no defenseman in that draft class had top pairing upside, changed his mind when Reinbacher got more hype, now he would pick Reinbacher at 5 over Smith.

As for Michkov, I think everyone has him as a potential elite talent, thats not the issue here.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The snake just has as many bad calls than good ones. Geekie 1st OV, Musty top 5. Was saying that no defenseman in that draft class had top pairing upside, changed his mind when Reinbacher got more hype, now he would pick Reinbacher at 5 over Smith.

As for Michkov, I think everyone has him as a potential elite talent, thats not the issue here.
I still think Michkov's lack of size may be part of the issue.

if he were 6'0 or 6'2, would HuGo still pass on him?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I still think Michkov's lack of size may be part of the issue.

if he were 6'0 or 6'2, would HuGo still pass on him?
Probably yes, the risk factor is too high given the actual geopolitical situation. We also heard some noise regarding his charactere and surroundings.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Would you target Kakko as this year's Dach?
Sure if the Rangers were tanking. Unfortunately they are at the other end of the spectrum which basically means it will cost you big time. They will want a roster ready asset who is seen to have the same potential as Kakko plus. Not a trade you can win unless they are dumping.

Reactions: Runner77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sure if the Rangers were tanking. Unfortunately they are at the other end of the spectrum which basically means it will cost you big time. They will want a roster ready asset who is seen to have the same potential as Kakko plus. Not a trade you can win unless they are dumping.
I was trying to guess who Hughes would trade for off season.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Im curious as to why youre so quick to agree with the decision. Do you not want the next Lafleur? Youd rather have another Suzuki?
I'm amazed you can guarantee me the next Lafleur AND inexplicably somehow be upset at the notion of getting another Suzuki like he's a joke or something all in the same sentence lol

Man, It's not about 'agreeing with the decision' , it's simply about being able to come to terms with and accepting an inevitable outcome even if you're not happy about it, or you'll just end up being absolutely miserable and upset over it, And I just don't do that anymore bud lol
Do I want Michkov? of course I do man, like come on
But, Is them not picking him and indictment on our new managements regime and way of thinking and possibly their overall intelligence as management and human beings?? No, they're good dude, they are, they are actually good at their jobs these guys.
How can I possibly blame them, when, even YOU who says he should go 2nd overall and so by definition, a whole BUNCH of teams, are not taking a risk, with one of the most unusual and absolutely crazy set of circumstances for a player that we've quite possibly never seen before, i mean a number of things hang in the balance with this player and this pick, and evidently a whooole bunch of people are scared of the situation, including us unfortunately, and it sucks yeah, what can I tell you right? It's a major bummer.

And I just can't kill "our" guys for listening to their scaredy cat owner boss who told them, "uhh yeah listen that kid with all the stuff hanging over him, yeah we're not going there sorry, but keep up the good work guys get me a winner, now watch this drive"

Because im sure more than one said the same thing to their guys
I know some people already hate HuGo amazingly, but them not picking this kid is not going to ruin what we're actually building here and growing really well already, people are losing sight of that because of this particularly important draft, but man, whoever we get, is going to be a big part of this Machine that's already well under construction right now
And I'm excited to be quite honest, you should be too

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Probably yes, the risk factor is too high given the actual geopolitical situation. We also heard some noise regarding his charactere and surroundings.
I think the noise is overstated. I‘ve heard the exact opposite. I also heard just as much noise regarding Reinbacher’s character (the worst interview] and surroundings (famous for the Sound of Music, Viennese waltzes not hockey).

• Haha
Reactions: KFlint

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

From what I recall, his comments on Geekie was that since there were no clear 1st overall last year, Geekie showed more potential to become a top 1st line forward. However, IIRC, he said himself if he was in charge he would not pick Geekie 1st overall due to him being too much of a long shot.

I'd have to re-watch the interview, but I probably won't.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Michkov.

He had Slafkovsky first last year too. Cutter Gauthier 2nd, which honestly is looking better every day. Cooley third.

Michkov's skill and hockey IQ definitely are amazing.

He had Slafkovsky 1st and Geekie 5th in his final draft board.

Slaf, Gauthier, Cooley, Nemec, Geekie was his top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad