NHL: Around the League 52

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
so to be clear, nothing you said here contradicted anything i said and it was a major waste of time for you to write it and for me to read it.
You dont even know who the top line is.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
After seeing the Draisaitl high hit on Barkov from several angles, I see that I was wrong in my original statement. He did sneakily get his elbow up and did connect to Barkov's jaw.....very similar to Bennett on Marchand. I didn't see the hit from that angle previously. Draidaitl's clean record probably saved him from worse consequences.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I think Tab Bamford of Blecher Nation said it best about the Oilers:

"We saw the true character of a poverty franchise last night."

The NHL does not have the guts, but Dresaitl should be suspended after that hit. There is no defense of that hit.

Reactions: BHawks77 and Pez68

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
You dont even know who the top line is.

Sorry for your loss.
once again, no argument detected. go on natural stat trick and tell me what edmonton forward has had the most all strengths time on ice with barkov this series besides mcdavid, hyman, and rnh. then note how no other forward has had even 10 minutes on the ice against barkov. then note how these four edmonton forwards with the most time on ice with barkov have one point, a mcdavid assist, collectivley this series. then go look at our mystery player's opposition numbers and note how the only florida forward he's been on ice against more is reinhart, and only by a minute. then cry because once again you don't have any ground to stand on.

"barkov shutting the oiler's top line down" and "the oilers only had 1 goal in ~110 minutes of play to that point" are both objectively true, and looking at the toi numbers makes it even more clear how these two statements connect to why drai decided to goon it up in a game where he was accomplishing nothing otherwise. all you've done here is encourage me to go strengthen my case further, good work. now do the lame cop out where you realize you are wrong and have no argument and act like you are correct because the all-knowing nhl DoPS agrees with you.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
once again, no argument detected. go on natural stat trick and tell me what edmonton forward has had the most all strengths time on ice with barkov this series besides mcdavid, hyman, and rnh. then note how no other forward has had even 10 minutes on the ice against barkov. then note how these four edmonton forwards with the most time on ice with barkov have one point, a mcdavid assist, collectivley this series. then go look at our mystery player's opposition numbers and note how the only florida forward he's been on ice against more is reinhart, and only by a minute. then cry because once again you don't have any ground to stand on.

"barkov shutting the oiler's top line down" and "the oilers only had 1 goal in ~110 minutes of play to that point" are both objectively true, and looking at the toi numbers makes it even more clear how these two statements connect to why drai decided to goon it up in a game where he was accomplishing nothing otherwise. all you've done here is encourage me to go strengthen my case further, good work. now do the lame cop out where you realize you are wrong and have no argument and act like you are correct because the all-knowing nhl DoPS agrees with you.
Those statements being true are not whats in question its you trying to fit those statements in to the narrative that it had anything to do with the hit. You dont understand that. Its partially the reason its not a suspension because there was no intent. You are trying to find intent and making shit up.

(d) The situation of the game in which the incident occurred, for example: late in the game, lopsided score, prior events in the game.

Your concluding that Draisaitl was so mad that RNH-McDavid-Hyman were getting shut down (McDavid already with a point in the game) that it had to be an intentional play to try to hurt Barkov. Thats laughable.

The argument has been said over and over again. There is no history, there was no clear intent to injure.

Think about game situation for one second. Dont try to frame it "Why should it be a suspension?" use reality.

Maybe your looking at too many still pictures and slow mo's. That rule is in place for altercations early in the game or a blowout late in the game. You know that your just are trying to fit your preconceived narrative that it fits a suspension.

Its not a suspension.

Last edited:

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Those statements being true are not whats in question its you trying to fit those statements in to the narrative that it had anything to do with the hit. You dont understand that.
i do understand that's what you are trying to say, and i think it's laughable.
Its partially the reason its not a suspension because there was no intent.
it was not an accident that draisaitl threw his elbow into barkov's jaw in what was otherwise a hockey play. what's more, the question of intent is separate from the question of game context, and doesn't exclusively decide whether or not supplementary discipline is warranted, as we've already been over.
Your concluding that Draisaitl was so mad that RNH-McDavid-Hyman were getting shut down
i am going to stop this analysis here because you aren't presenting the argument i presented. draisaitl was upset because the florida forward he was playing against the most (before he took him out of the final half of last game's third period that is) was keeping him off the score sheet, as well as keeping his team's top line completely silent except for one 4v4 garbage goal, to which the panthers had posted 2 answering markers already.
The argument has been said over and over again. There is no history, there was no clear intent to injure.
yes, and the argument is facile. there is history. there need not be intent to injure, the cba only asks if the play itself displayed intent on the part of the player under consideration for discipline. you are muddying the waters between the standards here, putting them together to make standards which do not exist.
Think about game situation for one second.
the game situation is draisaital suffering in futility at the hands of the best defensive center in the game, so he runs his elbow through the guy's chin like a dumbass. that's not getting your stick tangled in a guy's legs and he falls over. it should be a suspension.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
i do understand that's what you are trying to say, and i think it's laughable.

it was not an accident that draisaitl threw his elbow into barkov's jaw in what was otherwise a hockey play. what's more, the question of intent is separate from the question of game context, and doesn't exclusively decide whether or not supplementary discipline is warranted, as we've already been over.

i am going to stop this analysis here because you aren't presenting the argument i presented. draisaitl was upset because the florida forward he was playing against the most (before he took him out of the final half of last game's third period that is) was keeping him off the score sheet, as well as keeping his team's top line completely silent except for one 4v4 garbage goal, to which the panthers had posted 2 answering markers already.

yes, and the argument is facile. there is history. there need not be intent to injure, the cba only asks if the play itself displayed intent on the part of the player under consideration for discipline. you are muddying the waters between the standards here, putting them together to make standards which do not exist.

the game situation is draisaital suffering in futility at the expense of the best defensive center in the game, so he runs his elbow through the guy's chin like a dumbass. that's not getting your stick tangled in a guy's legs and he falls over. it should be a suspension.
Oh wait. That changed.

He can make a high hit and not have it be suspension worthy and you dont grasp that. Your trying to grasp at things to make it a suspension worthy play.

(d) The situation of the game in which the incident occurred, for example: late in the game, lopsided score, prior events in the game.

Hypothesizing that he was frustrated doesnt fall under that. Maybe if the game was 5-1 your case would be stronger.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Oilers first line?
full sentences please my friend. also quotes would be helpful. i used "oiler's top line" as shorthand for the first line including draisaital, who i also referred to as a "top line player". i then presented you with a litany of toi data to show you more concretely what i was saying, and you decided it would be really cute to ignore it and pretend that you've won on a technicality.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
full sentences please my friend. also quotes would be helpful. i used "oiler's top line" as shorthand for the first line including draisaital, who i also referred to as a "top line player". i then presented you with a litany of toi data to show you more concretely what i was saying, and you decided it would be really cute to ignore it and pretend that you've won on a technicality.
Im not ignoring it. Your making declarative statements and then having to walk them back and I am just trying to find what you are trying to say.

Ok not first line but the forward with the 4th most time on ice against.

Hear me out. What if he was forechecking at the end of the game and was reckless and high arms came up higher than they should have?

Crow

May 19, 2014
Those statements being true are not whats in question its you trying to fit those statements in to the narrative that it had anything to do with the hit. You dont understand that. Its partially the reason its not a suspension because there was no intent. You are trying to find intent and making shit up.

Your concluding that Draisaitl was so mad that RNH-McDavid-Hyman were getting shut down (McDavid already with a point in the game) that it had to be an intentional play to try to hurt Barkov. Thats laughable.

Think about game situation for one second. Dont try to frame it "Why should it be a suspension?" use reality.

Maybe your looking at too many still pictures and slow mo's. That rule is in place for altercations early in the game or a blowout late in the game. You know that your just are trying to fit your preconceived narrative that it fits a suspension.

Its not a suspension.
Maybe you are just blind or a homer. Guy launched his elbow jumping into barkovs head and it was easily a suspendible hit. Doesn’t matter that the league is cowardly and hypocritical no matter how much of an authority they are in your life.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Maybe you are just blind or a homer. Guy launched his elbow jumping into barkovs head and it was easily a suspendible hit. Doesn’t matter that the league is cowardly and hypocritical no matter how much of an authority they are in your life.
Right. If this isn't the SC Final, I'd say it's almost a guarantee he would have been suspended.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Hear me out. What if he was forechecking at the end of the game and was reckless and high arms came up higher than they should have?
then he should be suspended for a reckless play that took the other guy out. how is it that tens of high intensity forechecking hits get thrown in third periods galore without someone's "high arms" (sic) coming up "higher than they should have"? keep your elbows down. it's not that hard.

and no, it is not equivalent to, e.g., a shoulder check to the head of a guy whose positioned unfortunately, and an otherwise normal hockey check ends with an injury. in that context you would have an argument that it was an unfortunate and unintentional accident. in this situation, dude drives through a check with a chicken wing through the jaw. that doesn't happen because the absent minded millionaire veteran of 9 nhl seasons just made an oopsie. get real.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I have never said it was a legal hit. If it was easily suspensible they would have done it. Pietrangelo got a game last year on a easily suspensible play..

Also homer?

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Thanks Captain Obvious. The point is that whether it's the SC Final or not shouldn't matter. A suspension worthy hit is a suspension worthy hit no matter the circumstances. It's an indictment on the NHL and the DoPS.
Sorry man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad