GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I was so hot for Sennecke a few weeks ago. Spent a day watching videos. I've cooled after his injury and failure to play in OHL Final and no combine. But, I won't be mad if our scouts reach for him. You know my stance on trusting the pros!
I got hotter on Dickinson and Catton, cooler on Demidov, and don't see the fuss with Sennecke and Lindstrom. So naturally that means they're going with Sennecke or Lindstrom.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a repeat of last year and even Montreal passes on Demidov.
It's gonna happen and it's perfectly fine. A lot of the 2-10 prospects have aspects to their game (or their positon) that have them stand out in a way Demidov does not. If he were permitted to play in the WJCs or internationally, maybe the calculus would be different.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If Silayev hits, he is aggressive enough to be a Chara-like monster. If I was a scout I'd be devouring his videos to make sure I'm not missing something. If you skip on Silayev you better be sure you can justify it.

Dickinson feels like a sure bet too, in his own way.

I feel like Catton won't go at 5, so whoever is left of Silayev, Dickinson, and [next best forward] is my bet. A real BPA situation.

Dickinson goes 2, that means one of Lindstrom, Silayev, Levshunov, and Demidov is available for the Habs to take. Or they go slightly off the board and take Sennecke (a project).

Personally, I'm more confident in Catton (despite his "size issues") than I am with Sennecke (uncertain project) or Demidov (lack of truly elite abilities) or Lindstrom (playmaking/decision making) but I'm clearly in the minority here. Maybe Sennecke has all the tools and the toolbox and this past season was just him putting it together, maybe Demidov can do everything very well and actually can be elite, and maybe Lindstrom's powerful enough to be an impact player in the NHL.
While I like Sennecke I still have thoughts of drafting Michael MaCarron because of his size. Do you pass on a ultra skilled Catton for a bit more size ?

Reactions: jaffy27

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
As of right now, I am predicting the following.....

San Jose - Mack
Chicago - Dickinson
Anaheim - Levshunov
Columbus - Silyayev
Habs - No clue who we will go with....but it better not be Helenius as Goldenhands predicts!

I was so hot for Sennecke a few weeks ago. Spent a day watching videos. I've cooled after his injury and failure to play in OHL Final and no combine. But, I won't be mad if our scouts reach for him. You know my stance on trusting the pros!

I said it months ago.....Helenius is the less talked candidates on these boards as a potential pick just like Slafkovsky and Reinbacher were......so it will be him

• Wow
Reactions: waitin425

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I said it months ago.....Helenius is the less talked candidates on these boards as a potential pick just like Slafkovsky and Reinbacher were......so it will be him
He could be a steal for someone who takes him later in the 1st round

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
While I like Sennecke I still have thoughts of drafting Michael MaCarron because of his size. Do you pass on an ultra skilled Catton for a bit more size ?
I wouldn’t draft someone’s who doesn’t demonstrate he can put up points (as is expected for his division/league). But I seem to have gotten it rather wrong with Slafkovsky so who knows. Everything I say is probably worthless.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Spoke to some KHL fans, they prefer Michkov to Demidov. Think Michkov's elite in ways Demidov is not. It reinforces my theory that Demidov will drop a fair bit because there are just so many good prospects in the spots 2-10 and Demidov's skills don't seem to stand out as sharply in contrast.

Just saw this which was a bit too generous to Demidov imo. Pronman: How does 2024 NHL Draft prospect Ivan Demidov compare to Matvei Michkov?

No way Demidov falls past the habs unless Lindstrom is also there.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I wouldn’t draft someone’s who doesn’t demonstrate he can put up points (as is expected for his division/league). But I seem to have gotten it rather wrong with Slafkovsky so who knows. Everything I say is probably worthless.
None of us are experts and let's be honest most of us were concerned with Slaf's 10 point season in Liiga.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It's kind of a mix of him looking good at the combine + having good news about his health + Anaheim reportedly considering him + CBJ likely looking for a forward.

Personally I don't think he gets past CBJ.
Habs could always approach Anaheim with a trade proposal for that #3 pick plus Zegras if they really want Lindstrom and believe Columbus would select him.

Would probably take the #5 pick, Colorado pick, 2025 first round pick (CGY), Beck, Mailloux.

Maybe not exactly these players but something along those lines.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
While I like Sennecke I still have thoughts of drafting Michael MaCarron because of his size. Do you pass on an ultra skilled Catton for a bit more size ?
You could be drafting Tage Thompson too…..Catton could turn into a Marner….lots of regular season points and turns into a turnip come the playoffs

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Dickinson's floor is one of the highest IMO. He is about as safe as safe can be. Pietrangelo level talent. Natural leader as well. Character guy. Who wouldn't want this kid for a deep playoff run in 6-8 years. To answer @ReHabs question.....I think Dickinson surprises everyone and goes off the board second. Chicago would be set with Bedard and Dickinson as their two anchors.

And on top of that Dickinson is a Habs fan (or was growing up anyways). Kid is an absolute beauty.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm glad Basu and Godin are talking about taking the best player avialable, even if it's an LD like Buium or Dickinson.

You can't pass on top talent for current need. I think HuGo will see it this way when it's time to put their chips in the pot.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Dickinson's floor is one of the highest IMO. He is about as safe as safe can be. Pietrangelo level talent. Natural leader as well. Character guy. Who wouldn't want this kid for a deep playoff run in 6-8 years. To answer @ReHabs question.....I think Dickinson surprises everyone and goes off the board second. Chicago would be set with Bedard and Dickinson as their two anchors.

His ceiling is very high as well. People around here keep making the same mistakes improperly evaluating players like Heiskanen, Sanderson and even Guhle, especially offensively.

Reactions: waitin425

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
As there ever been a succesful player with Demidov skating style? I think it is a legit concern.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
100% agree with this part, so why is it so controversial to say that he hasn't produced like a #1 D.

Can't speak for others, but my view is that "produced like a #1 D" doesn't mean anything, because there is no magical cut-off for producing like a #1 D.

Reactions: Shred

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
We've been burned recently by guys that can't skate at the NHL level. If Demidov really has issues with his skating, could very well end up with a Galch or KK. To me skating issues disqualify a player from being a high end pick, it is a fatal flaw.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We've been burned recently by guys that can't skate at the NHL level. If Demidov really has issues with his skating, could very well end up with a Galch or KK. To me skating issues disqualify a player from being a high end pick, it is a fatal flaw.
Demidov has skating issues?

Ugh……don’t think so

Reactions: Redux91

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
No matter who we pick, I can't wait to see the main board's pompous paragraph posters weave a narrative wherein that prospect actually sucks and all of us are dumbys who just bully them when even 1/50th of us decide to don our radiation suit and join a thread.

Reactions: Redux91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad