NHL 24 Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
FC 24 (FIFA) is one of the free games on PS5 this month so I got it and wtf why do the graphics of NHL literally look 15 years older than this when they’re both EA? Everyone in the FIFA community bitches about their game but they don’t realize how good they have it lol, I’m quite enjoying this game. The graphics between this and NHL 24 literally look like comparing PS3 to PS5… maybe even PS2 to PS5

Agree and Madden looks even better. We have the same player models and fan models since 2014. No lie almost 10 years of the same fans sitting in the same place. Its insane lol.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
FC 24 (FIFA) is one of the free games on PS5 this month so I got it and wtf why do the graphics of NHL literally look 15 years older than this when they’re both EA? Everyone in the FIFA community bitches about their game but they don’t realize how good they have it lol, I’m quite enjoying this game. The graphics between this and NHL 24 literally look like comparing PS3 to PS5… maybe even PS2 to PS5
Short answer ... budget.

Soccer (football) is the most popular sport worldwide by a wide margin. Hockey in comparison is pretty much a niche sport. Even in countries that are among the best in the world at hockey (Sweden, Russia, Switzerland, etc.) soccer is still the most popular sport.

So EA Sports throws WAY more money at their soccer games than they do with NHL.

Reactions: blundluntman

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Short answer ... budget.

Soccer (football) is the most popular sport worldwide by a wide margin. Hockey in comparison is pretty much a niche sport. Even in countries that are among the best in the world at hockey (Sweden, Russia, Switzerland, etc.) soccer is still the most popular sport.

Let me start off by saying I totally agree and understand what you're saying. Not disputing that in the slightest.

However, even knowing that, I've always wondered why the various tech involved in creating the FIFA or Madden series isn't shared w/ the NHL or NBA Live series. Does that make sense? Like why was the NHL series on a different engine for longer than it needed to be? How come the basic foundational bones aren't just shared across the different games? Would that really be something involving budget if they're not asking for the FIFA (or Madden) dev teams to actually work on it?

Reactions: vegarover

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Finally retired from eSports tournaments, this game since 23 just isn't designed for competitive gameplay. It's sad to see the steady decline of this franchise, specifically WoC, over the last 10 years. All good EA, just keep throwing warewolf skins in your sport games, it's all good. Sigh

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Let me start off by saying I totally agree and understand what you're saying. Not disputing that in the slightest.

However, even knowing that, I've always wondered why the various tech involved in creating the FIFA or Madden series isn't shared w/ the NHL or NBA Live series. Does that make sense? Like why was the NHL series on a different engine for longer than it needed to be? How come the basic foundational bones aren't just shared across the different games? Would that really be something involving budget if they're not asking for the FIFA (or Madden) dev teams to actually work on it?
I'm not in the video game industry so I don't know the exact answer, but I'm guessing they prioritize that the more popular games (FIFA, Madden, etc.) get the latest "tech" as you put it first. And then once that's polished to the point they want it on those titles, it's kind of handed down to NHL devs.

But at the end of the day, NHL just isn't a priority at EA, unfortunately.

Reactions: RockLobster

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany

Even if it's shared, making the migration already takes quite some time would be my guess (as a web & .NET developer). NHL just has so few resources, money and poeple wise, and then they are asked to put out this HUT garbage content to continue generating money after the release, they just don't have the man power to implement that in time.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Short answer ... budget.

Yeah it's honestly that simple. Putting any more time and effort into the game would eat away at their revenue and that's simply not an option for them I'd assume. It sucks but it is what it is. It'd be nice if they chipped away on a yearly basis and made meaningful improvements little by little though. As of right now, they seem to be more focused on increasing revenue through HUT.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why do they put trade retention in the game if the CPU GMs never accept any trades with their players being retained?

You could add four 1sts to a deal where you're trading your top line C for an $8m underperformer with zero trade value. You ask them to retain a dollar, that deal doesn't go through.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
EA needs to farm the NHL series out to a different development team of theirs. EA Canada has been complacent for years, and until announced, can't expect changes that make a difference showing up in NHL 25.

And if they do add something interesting the core codebase they've been propping up for at least a decade is broken beyond repair.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Why do they put trade retention in the game if the CPU GMs never accept any trades with their players being retained?

You could add four 1sts to a deal where you're trading your top line C for an $8m underperformer with zero trade value. You ask them to retain a dollar, that deal doesn't go through.
It's as if they don't even test franchise mode.

Reactions: David Suzuki

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008

It's true. Mindboggling how the CPU will say no. Even on expiring deals.

500k? GTFO

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Even if it's shared, making the migration already takes quite some time would be my guess (as a web & .NET developer). NHL just has so few resources, money and poeple wise, and then they are asked to put out this HUT garbage content to continue generating money after the release, they just don't have the man power to implement that in time.
This is the right answer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad