NHL 13 Dynasty Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Am i the only person actually experiencing a very realistic gm mode? Simming is quite realistic, with crosby/malkin hitting 100+ points each season with giroux not far behind, as oilers, Hall, Yak, Ebs all getting around 70 points, and RNH at 90 (after a couple seasons). Trade offers seem pretty normal (except a couple times i was offered straight up my first round pick for somebody else's second round pick). Goalies simulate realistic numbers, with top being just above .930 and 5-10 being above .920, the rest hovering below that.

I did edit the ratings of a few top stars (malkin, ovy, datsyuk, etc) and prospects (yak, added schultz, etc), but other than some minor overall changes, I havent touched too much and it's feeling very realistic.

That's largely been my experience as well.

Outside of the odd trade offers or silly contract demands, mine has played very realistically as well.

Top scorers = 47 or 48 goals, with top points = around 100. I like it.

I don't doubt that other ppl have a lot of BS going on in their games, but it hasn't translated into anything super bizarre for me.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
So theres basically no way to make it sim faster? Lol. I in fact have a PS3.

I feel like theres definitely a way to download it onto the PS3 Hard drive. Maybe not tho?

I just finished simming a full season: 7 miinutes 46 seconds. I'm happy with that time! Far improvement over NHL 12

Also - I did a bit of quick research and it appears as though the PS3 installs various portions of the game to it's hard disk automatically, but does not offer the ability to manually install the entire game onto the hard disk because apparently PS3 games are far larger memory files than Xbox games.

So in short - no, I don't think you can manually install a game onto your PS3 HDD.

Another solution - maybe go through your PS3 memory and make sure that any save games that you no longer need are deleted; you don't need any NHL 12 stuff anymore, and you don't need any old save games from other games you no longer play. Free up memory on your system, to improve the way your console works

Use the Schwartz*

If I upgrade my medical staff, do injuries decrease? I want to play but it's really frustrating.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Am i the only person actually experiencing a very realistic gm mode? Simming is quite realistic, with crosby/malkin hitting 100+ points each season with giroux not far behind, as oilers, Hall, Yak, Ebs all getting around 70 points, and RNH at 90 (after a couple seasons). Trade offers seem pretty normal (except a couple times i was offered straight up my first round pick for somebody else's second round pick). Goalies simulate realistic numbers, with top being just above .930 and 5-10 being above .920, the rest hovering below that.

I did edit the ratings of a few top stars (malkin, ovy, datsyuk, etc) and prospects (yak, added schultz, etc), but other than some minor overall changes, I havent touched too much and it's feeling very realistic.

Edit: Contracts haven't been outlandish either, when you consider it as cap% rather than numbers, which is how you should look at it. Also, people need to utilize all their days of re-signing players, play like a real gm and lowball to get the best possible deal, of course they ask for ridiculous amounts, so do real nhlers, you'd be dumb to actually sign them at that price.

It seems like if you have a grasp of how hockey really works, you're enjoying this game a whole lot more than the casual gamer/fan. I've had a very similar experience. Yes, there are issues, and the "GM Brain" does some completely bone-headed things from time to time (that Kopitar on waivers pic is priceless) but hey, even real GM's do stupid things from time to time.

I just can't muster up any sympathy for people who can't adapt to the game. Yeah, 2-way contracts function differently now, but that's a GOOD thing. I tried to send Kreider to the minors at the deadline after I acquired Korpikoski and Kreider wasn't exactly setting the world on fire. As soon as I did it I was shocked to see the waiver notification pop up. It was like, wow, they actually got it right this year! If you "ignored it" and sent the player anyway, then you have no place to complain about it when they get claimed.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
It seems like if you have a grasp of how hockey really works, you're enjoying this game a whole lot more than the casual gamer/fan. I've had a very similar experience. Yes, there are issues, and the "GM Brain" does some completely bone-headed things from time to time (that Kopitar on waivers pic is priceless) but hey, even real GM's do stupid things from time to time.

I just can't muster up any sympathy for people who can't adapt to the game. Yeah, 2-way contracts function differently now, but that's a GOOD thing. I tried to send Kreider to the minors at the deadline after I acquired Korpikoski and Kreider wasn't exactly setting the world on fire. As soon as I did it I was shocked to see the waiver notification pop up. It was like, wow, they actually got it right this year! If you "ignored it" and sent the player anyway, then you have no place to complain about it when they get claimed.

I also really like the GM mode improvements. It always bothered me how players would have zero potential at 23 years old. Backstrom for example would be 22 with one b- in offense. He was my second pick this time with four stars. 86 overall. He had 87 points with about 70 assists and in the offseason grew to 88 with 4.5 stars.

Also love that they show potential at the draft now. Way better in a lot of respects. Injuries happen in the NHL and you need to build your team with depth.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
My 2013-14 Oilers Lineup

Taylor Hall (86, A) - Ryan Nugent Hopkins (81) - Jordan Eberle (84)
Magnus Paajarvi (81) - Sam Gagner (81) - Ales Hemsky (83, A)
Ryan Jones (79) - Zack Smith (81) - Chad LaRose (80)
Drew Miller (77) - Kevin Porter (76) - Teemu Hartikainen (74)

Ryan Whitney (86, C) - John Carlson (85)
Nick Schultz (84) - Ladislav Smid (81)
Rob Scuderi (81) - Niklas Grossmann (80)

Jonathan Bernier (83)
Dean Dubnyk (81)

Pretty good if I do say so myself. I also drafted Ryan Pulock, who is 75 overall with 4.5 stars potential, playing in the juniors. :yo: Got some other good defensive prospects too, Colton Teubert is also 75 overall with 4 stars.
Edit: I also have Sean Couturier in the AHL.
Paajarvi scored 26 goals last year, so I have high hopes for him.

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Yay, this forum is usable again (was unbearably slow the last few days for me).

Trades from around the NHL so far:

November 5, 2012

To MIN:
RW Jarome Iginla

To CGY:
D Mathew Dumba, G Matt Hackett

------------------------------
November 14, 2012

To NJD:
RW Joel Armia, C Steven Shipley

To BUF:
C Patrik Elias

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011

November 5, 2012

To MIN:
RW Jarome Iginla

To CGY:

November 14, 2012

To NJD:

To BUF:
C Patrik Elias

wow. Are those CPU trades? Because those are actually pretty decent.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB

November 5, 2012

To MIN:
RW Jarome Iginla

To CGY:

November 14, 2012

To NJD:

To BUF:
C Patrik Elias

I don't know how they're rated in NHL 13 off the top of my head, but if they're realistic at all, MIN gave up way too much IMO for a guy with 1 or 2 seasons left before retirement (in NHL 13's retirement system)

Then again I've always been the type to value prospects over veterans, I just think "If I can get 10 seasons of above average versus 3 seasons of elite, I'll go with above average"

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
I don't know how they're rated in NHL 13 off the top of my head, but if they're realistic at all, MIN gave up way too much IMO for a guy with 1 or 2 seasons left before retirement (in NHL 13's retirement system)

Then again I've always been the type to value prospects over veterans, I just think "If I can get 10 seasons of above average versus 3 seasons of elite, I'll go with above average"

Well they're closer to being realistic than other trades I've seen for Iginla, Alfredsson and Doan. For example, I got Doan straight up for Bozak.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
wow. Are those CPU trades? Because those are actually pretty decent.
Yeah, I'm doing a season w/ VAN where I don't make any trades myself. Cleared everything off the trade block.

BAGM has been slow going so far because of EASHL and GM Connected. Normally I wouldn't be spending so much time on EASHL, but we're on the cusp of getting into the Top 100 for the first time.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Yeah, I'm doing a season w/ VAN where I don't make any trades myself. Cleared everything off the trade block.

BAGM has been slow going so far because of EASHL and GM Connected. Normally I wouldn't be spending so much time on EASHL, but we're on the cusp of getting into the Top 100 for the first time.

The old top 100 are stuck in amateur. They're still loading the wrist shot for the glitch!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If I upgrade my medical staff, do injuries decrease? I want to play but it's really frustrating.

Upgrading the medical staff generally works in 3 days

1st - It does decrease the number of injuries somewhat; basically the players with high durability tend not to get injured nearly as regularly (better conditioning?)

2nd - Those players that do get injured, typically don't get injured for as long as say a non-upgraded medical staff.

3rd - Players who suffer from repeatable injuries (concussions, etc), tend not to get recurring injuries as frequently.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone have a clue what upgrading assistant coaches do?

It's the most expensive upgrade and based on the description, the most useless one.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I wasn't as hard on GM mode as others here but that's just brutal. Somebody send that to EA.
They had it before the game launched. I reported it to them on September 7th along with a picture. I probably wasn't the first one ...

I'm just playing with waivers off.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

It's the most expensive upgrade and based on the description, the most useless one.
In NHL 12, it upgraded the amount of XP and also increased the accuracy of in-game injury reports.

Since they did away with the XP progression system, I'm guessing it just increases the accuracy of the in-game injury reports.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
In NHL 12, it upgraded the amount of XP and also increased the accuracy of in-game injury reports.

Since they did away with the XP progression system, I'm guessing it just increases the accuracy of the in-game injury reports.

Terrible. It's not even worth upgrading then.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Holy hell. Getting Legend GM is HARD.

I have a ridiculously stacked Penguins team and I've won 4 Stanley Cups... and I still havn't gotten legend. Still like 400 task points off. :amazed:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That's largely been my experience as well.

Outside of the odd trade offers or silly contract demands, mine has played very realistically as well.

Top scorers = 47 or 48 goals, with top points = around 100. I like it.

I don't doubt that other ppl have a lot of BS going on in their games, but it hasn't translated into anything super bizarre for me.

It has been mine to but the people who are experiencing that aren't saying anything because they have nothing to complain about

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Isn't assistant coach still the most important one to upgrade!?

I could be wrong, but assistant coaches still control the ability of your players to improve over the course of the season + off-season.

In my GM, while I'm not 100% certain, I felt that with my assistant coach maxed out, my players reached their potentials much higher.

Pretty much all my first and second round draft picks were NHL ready after just one year, and my high potential roster players use to see huge increases in overall, especially after their first full year out of junior.

While I don't have evidence, it still feels as though assistant coach is single-handedly the most important upgrade to be concerned about.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It has been mine to but the people who are experiencing that are saying anything because they have nothing to complain about

Agreed.

A quick look at the Call of Duty fans will show you, that fans get to the point where they just need to complain about something or anything.

I feel right now like it's really fashionable to complain on NHL 13. EVEN if there isn't exactly all that much to complain about in my opinion...

There are issues and concerns, sure. But if I didn't play the game and wasn't familiar with the franchise, and I was reading some of the comments I've read since the game came out, I'd think that the game was full of game-breaking, unplayable glitches and issues and I just don't think that's the case at all... far from it.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Isn't assistant coach still the most important one to upgrade!?

I could be wrong, but assistant coaches still control the ability of your players to improve over the course of the season + off-season.

In my GM, while I'm not 100% certain, I felt that with my assistant coach maxed out, my players reached their potentials much higher.

Pretty much all my first and second round draft picks were NHL ready after just one year, and my high potential roster players use to see huge increases in overall, especially after their first full year out of junior.

While I don't have evidence, it still feels as though assistant coach is single-handedly the most important upgrade to be concerned about.

That should be the case, but the description mentioned nothing about player progression.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Agreed.

A quick look at the Call of Duty fans will show you, that fans get to the point where they just need to complain about something or anything.

I feel right now like it's really fashionable to complain on NHL 13. EVEN if there isn't exactly all that much to complain about in my opinion...

There are issues and concerns, sure. But if I didn't play the game and wasn't familiar with the franchise, and I was reading some of the comments I've read since the game came out, I'd think that the game was full of game-breaking, unplayable glitches and issues and I just don't think that's the case at all... far from it.

Call of Duty there usually is something to complain about like the pro pipes or the Mp40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad