NHL 13 Dynasty Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm not sure that I mind the new trading system, to be honest.

Sure the CPU still makes some strange offers, but the flip side is them not making any offers and ultimately it's a game and you want the AI to do SOMETHING.

A lot of the major trades that I've made, have revolved around some extremely stupid trade offers that have (Komisarek to Detroit for the Wings' 1st and 3rd round pick, for example). So I don't necessarily mind the CPU making boneheaded trades.

I do appreciate that trading is more challenging this year. Really have to take into account the trade block and what the other team wants vs their surplus. I like that the AI GMs seem a bit more stubborn to simply hand you stuff.

I'm sure once the game is out for a whle, little exploits on how to abuse the trade system will become known (like the 1st round pick exploits from NHL 11 and 12). But truthfully the fun in GM modes comes from playing it realistically.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
@VanCanucks Canucks 5-0 to start the year. Another President's Trophy? #Winning #Canucks

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
In my experimental BaGM, I've found that a lot of trades go down where one team trades 2 1sts. Hardly ever see that IRL. Contracts haven't been an issue for me yet; in fact I've been able to retain everyone I wanted to keep while adding significant pieces in free agency. I think a lot of the grousing over contracts is due to players adjusting to the new overall scale, which affects contract values.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Depends.

If you are a big hockey game fan, then grab it. Considering you didn't get 12, then perhaps you aren't.

Keep in mind there are a ton of other titles coming out over the several weeks - Halo, Assassin's Creed, CoD, Borderlands 2. If you are a gamer, then there's tons of titles out there that I would argue would be $ better spent for someone in your shoes
I'm a huge fan but NHL 12 didn't impress me at all... I had played 11 and they looked exactly the same.

I bought 13 I think it was a good buy, time will tell.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Man, they really didn't fix trading at all. I just got Ryan Murray from CBJ for a 2nd and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc. And the CPU keeps offering me the same trades (which I've declined like 4 times) over and over again. Like, yo, Edmonton, I don't want Smyth any more than you do.

Also, seriously? Phoenix trying to trade Doan an Ottawa trying to get rid of Alfie? :shakehead

Edit: Yup. CPU just offered me Doan for my 2016 2nd and a career AHLer. I took it, because lol.

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
In my experimental BaGM, I've found that a lot of trades go down where one team trades 2 1sts. Hardly ever see that IRL. Contracts haven't been an issue for me yet; in fact I've been able to retain everyone I wanted to keep while adding significant pieces in free agency. I think a lot of the grousing over contracts is due to players adjusting to the new overall scale, which affects contract values.
Was this team Toronto? LOL

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Man, they really didn't fix trading at all. I just got Ryan Murray from CBJ for a 2nd and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc. And the CPU keeps offering me the same trades (which I've declined like 4 times) over and over again. Like, yo, Edmonton, I don't want Smyth any more than you do.

Also, seriously? Phoenix trying to trade Doan an Ottawa trying to get rid of Alfie? :shakehead

I had Toronto try and trade me Tim Connolly for Michael St. Croix and a combination of picks and prospects like 8 days in a row, lol.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
I posted this on EA's forum just now. This is my experience with GM Mode. I usually play it hardcore. Now? I can't even consider playing it... :facepalm:

I can not believe this. You guys RUINED GM Mode, offline.

- Simulator has been removed; clearly. Last year, it was very realistic. This year, no players can hit 100 points. I've got the Columbus Blue Jackets 2nd overall in the entire NHL in 3 of the 5 times I've simmed a first season, and twice I've seen Benoit Pouliot outscore James Neal? Are you kidding me?

-Trade offers are ridiculous. What's even worse are what's actually accepted. I literally saw Martin Brodeur, Patrick Elias, and a 1st for Eric Wellwood and a 3rd. What the hell?

-Trade block is completely, completely broken. I set up my block to let teams know I was interested in all draft picks via trade. I literally got this offer, over and over again./

My 3rd
Their 4th and 5th.

First of all, this isn't the draft. That might make sense in the draft, but not 6 months away. Secondly, how many times do I have to reject that same trade from the same team, before they take the hint? The A.I. is ridiculous.

-CPU trade offers are crazy scams. I got offered (four times) by the Sharks if I wanted Douglas Murray for my 1st and 5th. I don't need Douglas Murray, especially not for what would become a great prospect. After four tries, I went to them with a counter offer and I find out we've got a poor reputation with them now. How is this MY fault?

Best part? The Sharks ended up trading him to a non-contender, for a 3rd rounder. Are you kidding me? I have no relationship with that GM now, because I didn't want scammed? Get out of here

- Contracts on this game are also broken. Two-way contract means a player doesn't need to pass waivers to go back and forth between AHL and NHL. I acquire David Rundblad for Mikael Granlund. Great trade for me. I took Rundblad and sent him to Wilkes-Barre Scranton. What happens? He's CLAIMED! For some reason, he needed to pass waivers, despite being on a two-way contract.

Even worse - You have no control if you go over the cap. Did you guys forgot how contracts work? Like, how contracts count for the year? As the year goes on, salaries do go down. That's how rental trades work.

Apparently, the game didn't develop this thought. I came to a point where I clearly had enough cap space for a move. After making the move, a pop-up window came up stating I was wrong (which, I wasn't). I had two options, go to NO SALARY CAP (which I refused) or Let my Assistant Coach (the CPU) decide who to send down.

I had 4 players with two-way contracts to remove to get passed the supposed cap ceiling that I somehow didn't get under. Instead of sending several of THEM to get to that spot, it chooses... KYLE OKPOSO! Someone I needed and who was on my 2nd scoring line! Someone making 2 million with HIGH potential and only 24 years old, who had scored 25 goals! You think he went unclaimed? Not. A. Chance.

Thanks to the brutal development of this mode, I've lost two quality prospects, I've got little room to make trades with some teams, and I'm losing players left and right because the concept of two-way contracts is hard to grasp, apparently.

There are even more issues that need addressed, but this is already a tl;dr topic as it is.

EA, fix it already, or just remove GM Mode, if you're not going to care enough to get things right.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
I posted this on EA's forum just now. This is my experience with GM Mode. I usually play it hardcore. Now? I can't even consider playing it... :facepalm:

You are wrong about the 2 way contract thing, a 2 way contract simply means they get paid less in the AHL not that they get to bypass waivers that was a mistake in all previous NHL games.

But other then that trade offers are ridiculous, really easy to steal top 5 picks, veterans, and good prospects. Then you get constant garbage offers like a pick + prospect, or John Madded, Ed Jovanovski, Mike Eaton, and as you state lets swap picks offers lol.

Simming is awful as you stated no one reached 100 points in my first season although Ovy was on pace for 58 goals 30 games in :laugh:. Montreal wins the stanley cup vs Vancouver in 5 games ( yes the same team that drafted 3rd last year):laugh:

From actually playing goals are all garbage, or taken from the high scorings 80s. Pin to the boards defies physics, a player shouldnt be able to pin Malkin who is skating full out and make him instantly stop... Hitting animations are brutal Iginla who is standing still shouldnt get completely demolished by a guy standing still beside him :rant:

Oh I forgot to mention the speed of simming wtf happened there.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, the thing with two-way deals is that in this game, they make it convenient; two-way don't need waivers.

I like that. It's easier than trying to deal with the extensive rules; making it easy for new players. But even then, it SCREWED me on the legit rules for waivers, and I lost a great young defender (and winger..)

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Well, the thing with two-way deals is that in this game, they make it convenient; two-way don't need waivers.

I like that. It's easier than trying to deal with the extensive rules; making it easy for new players. But even then, it SCREWED me on the legit rules for waivers, and I lost a great young defender (and winger..)
You still have on your roster page a column where it say "waivers" and "yes" or "no" for each players.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Third column. At the right of the names and before the contract type (1-way or 2-way).

I literally have nothing that shows this. I'll have to download all the possible tuners and see if that shows up at all.

Regardless, one thing right doesn't resolve 12 others. When I saw the trade for Eric Wellwood I lost it. Especially after the CPU pins me as a bad guy for not overpaying for a guy I had no use for (Murray) then traded him for half his asking price not long after :facepalm:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I literally have nothing that shows this. I'll have to download all the possible tuners and see if that shows up at all.

Regardless, one thing right doesn't resolve 12 others. When I saw the trade for Eric Wellwood I lost it. Especially after the CPU pins me as a bad guy for not overpaying for a guy I had no use for (Murray) then traded him for half his asking price not long after :facepalm:

That's weird, for me it has always said that, even on day one. I have all the possible tuners and it shows waivers "yes" or "no". It did before too.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
It's on at least a half dozen screens. Not sure how you can miss a column that says WAIV unless you're playing NHL 12 ...

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Seriously, what bothers me with this game is the way prospects grow... Just take a look at all the prospects when they reach 80+ overall... They literally have several 90+ attributes. Morrissey had 99 shot power (both), 80 shot accuracy (both), 99 off. awereness and 90+ in puck control, deking and passing one year after his draft. And I've seen many random Euro players having such attributes too. This make current NHLers pretty useless. I had to try to trade Evander Kane because Nyquist and Collberg were both 88 after only 2 years.

It's sad because he was 84 overall with 6 years left at 4.8M per year... And I play without salary cap. And guess what, no team will want him because they do not want to have this contract since it's too big. I persevered and still no success. My last offer was Evander Kane + 1st round pick for a 7th round pick and they still refused.

One thing I really like though, aside that simming seems a bit quicker since launch day, is that players seem to grow each year following the kind of season they just had.
For example, in his first season with me, Kaberle managed to score 53 points. The following season, he was an 85. It works in the other way too. Evander Kane grew from 84 to 85 after one season, but had a disappointing year and dropped to 83 only to grow back to 84 the year after after a little bit better season. This was really something that lacked in the past games. But I feel the gap player can decrease is not as big as the gap player grow (85 -> 83 is smaller than 80 -> 85), and with the prospect growth being quick (65 ... 85 !!) there could be an issue of having too many talented players in the league.

TheOriginalSilf*

Presenting the new GM Brain:

photo3tx.jpg

Use the Schwartz*

The bright side is they can all be fixed in an update, they aren't major things that would require a lot of work

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Any draft gems to look out for? I'm heading to the 2014 draft. So far my two first rounders (Max Domi and Rasmus Ristolainen) from 2013 are doing extremely well. Ristolainen was a 71 when I drafted him. Think he's 82 now.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Any draft gems to look out for? I'm heading to the 2014 draft. So far my two first rounders (Max Domi and Rasmus Ristolainen) from 2013 are doing extremely well. Ristolainen was a 71 when I drafted him. Think he's 82 now.

Good news for me. I drafted Ristolainen in the 2nd round of my first draft. I think Buffalo wanted to trade Jordan Leopold for him straight up. And then they wanted Ristolainen and someone else for Robyn Regehr and some picks. Where did you play Ristolainen at? I can't really speak for the 2014 draft thought since I haven't got there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad