Next Years Team

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Plus then having to pay Barrie which seems to be quite the problem.

For colorado, which seems to be happening fairly lots lately.

Players made to look like they are handfuls come contract signing time (usually RFA), colorado then trades said player and they sign a fiarly decently and quick extension with the other team.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The obvious argument is that Barrie is currently a top pairing defenseman and those three 1st round picks are all maybe someday NHL forwards.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
And for another half dozen plus seasons he should be top pairing.

On the other hand, we have a combination of aging forward core and shallow top 6 scoring depth and, arguably, scarcity of high end scoring talent beyond Goldobin and Meier.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
On the other hand, we have a combination of aging forward core and shallow top 6 scoring depth and, arguably, scarcity of high end scoring talent beyond Goldobin and Meier.

I would rather have a top 4 defensive core of burns, vlasic, braun, barrie.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

I am usually all about long term. In this case though, we are SO close to a cup, this is when you think short term. We need a cup, we already let one opportunity slip by, sell the farm.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
For colorado, which seems to be happening fairly lots lately.

Players made to look like they are handfuls come contract signing time (usually RFA), colorado then trades said player and they sign a fiarly decently and quick extension with the other team.

Maybe. O'Reilly was the first player to get one of those salary bonus heavy buy out proof contracts. He will see the end of his but it will be a point of contention in 2020.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I am usually all about long term. In this case though, we are SO close to a cup, this is when you think short term. We need a cup, we already let one opportunity slip by, sell the farm.

I kinda have mixed opinions about getting Barrie cuz it would be a big get for us short term and long term but I think the big reason for our playoff loss this year was that our forward depth wasn't good enough. Our top 6 is good no doubt about it but when out 3rd line was centered by Tierney or Spaling, they got completely outplayed by any of the penguins lines.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I kinda have mixed opinions about getting Barrie cuz it would be a big get for us short term and long term but I think the big reason for our playoff loss this year was that our forward depth wasn't good enough. Our top 6 is good no doubt about it but when out 3rd line was centered by Tierney or Spaling, they got completely outplayed by any of the penguins lines.

3rd line and 3rd pairing. Adding Goldobin and Boedker to the forward group allows us to move Marleau or Hertl to 3c. This kind of trade moves Martin into the 3rd pairing.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

I know i am in the minority in this, but the main issue against the pens and why the top line was shutdown is because they were baby sitting the dillon and polak pairing.

Any time the top line got out on the ice with the burns pairing especially they were pushing the pens to the brink of collapsing.

But with polak and dillon. thornton and company would bring the puck up the ice do the cycle thing pass the puck to the point and either the pairing would bobble the puck and would have to turn back to regroup which usually lead to a turnover and the puck going back to the sharks end. Or thornton would pass back to the point and they would shoot and miss the net and the puck was quickly turned back up the ice in a fast break.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
If you look for a highlight reel goal against the Avs, it's usually Barrie on the ice making a mistake.

That's scary when you consider that this is the same team that iced Stuart, Guenin, Gormley, and Holden.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If you look for a highlight reel goal against the Avs, it's usually Barrie on the ice making a mistake.

That's scary when you consider that this is the same team that iced Stuart, Guenin, Gormley, and Holden.

You could do the same with burns also. Or subban, or karlsson. It is usually what comes with offensively gifted defensemen.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Barrie is headed to arbitration. What is it with Colorado franchises playing hardball with its best players. :laugh:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Barrie is headed to arbitration. What is it with Colorado franchises playing hardball with its best players. :laugh:

Short term makes sense, since arbitration hearings usually side more with the team then the players. But it usually puts a strain on the relationship long term because all the dirty laundry pretty much gets aired.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Short term makes sense, since arbitration hearings usually side more with the team then the players. But it usually puts a strain on the relationship long term because all the dirty laundry pretty much gets aired.

I know it strains the relationship. Its just funny how the Broncos refuse to give Von Miller a long term deal despite his production and now the Avs do it with Barrie.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I don't know that trying to get Barrie is at all realistic. Sure it'd be awesome to have him, but it would really cause problems with fitting his salary when we have to re-sign him. Also, it causes us massive issues when it comes to the expansion draft. You can only protect 3 defensemen, so doing this basically guarantees we lose Braun, as we'd obviously protect Vlasic, Burns (assuming we get him on an extension) and Barrie. Yes, I know about the option to protect 8 players period instead of 7 and 3, but we have way more than 4 forwards we'd want to protect, so this isn't an option. (I mean, just Hertl, Couture & Pavelski take up 3)

So yeah, I don't think you're taking the expansion draft into account in trying to do these kind of trades at this point. If we do a major trade for a cup run, it would happen at the deadline, and would probably be targeting a high end vet on an expiring deal as a rental.

That said, if we COULD get Barrie for a reasonable value, I'd be down. Maybe we could do a "future considerations" trade with LV to keep them from taking Braun, if it came down to it. Because of the risk from expansion, I wouldn't pay anyone like Meier or Goldobin for him, though. I would part with one or both of Mueller and Roy, though, if they're looking for D prospects as a required part of the package. I'd also be willing to part with any of Dillon, Nieto, or Wingels in deals to improve the team for this season's run. (assuming we sign DeMelo, of course)

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Sorensen-Thornton-Pavs
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Marleau-Hertl-Ward
Karlsson-Tierney-Nieto/Meier/Goldobin

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Dillon-Schlemko
Mueller/Demelo

Jones
Armalis

Man, I could live with this.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I know i am in the minority in this, but the main issue against the pens and why the top line was shutdown is because they were baby sitting the dillon and polak pairing.

Any time the top line got out on the ice with the burns pairing especially they were pushing the pens to the brink of collapsing.

But with polak and dillon. thornton and company would bring the puck up the ice do the cycle thing pass the puck to the point and either the pairing would bobble the puck and would have to turn back to regroup which usually lead to a turnover and the puck going back to the sharks end. Or thornton would pass back to the point and they would shoot and miss the net and the puck was quickly turned back up the ice in a fast break.

I don't know if it was the main problem but it was a big one IMO. I think some other ppl were bothered by that too bc quite a few ppl wanted PDB to drastically cut back Dillon and Polak's ice time in the finals.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't know if it was the main problem but it was a big one IMO. I think some other ppl were bothered by that too bc quite a few ppl wanted PDB to drastically cut back Dillon and Polak's ice time in the finals.

I also recall Dillon-Polak getting a lot of OZ starts. Which was basically giving the Pens a license to take the puck back and breakaway. That is what annoyed me.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I don't know that trying to get Barrie is at all realistic. Sure it'd be awesome to have him, but it would really cause problems with fitting his salary when we have to re-sign him. Also, it causes us massive issues when it comes to the expansion draft. You can only protect 3 defensemen, so doing this basically guarantees we lose Braun, as we'd obviously protect Vlasic, Burns (assuming we get him on an extension) and Barrie. Yes, I know about the option to protect 8 players period instead of 7 and 3, but we have way more than 4 forwards we'd want to protect, so this isn't an option. (I mean, just Hertl, Couture & Pavelski take up 3)

So yeah, I don't think you're taking the expansion draft into account in trying to do these kind of trades at this point. If we do a major trade for a cup run, it would happen at the deadline, and would probably be targeting a high end vet on an expiring deal as a rental.

That said, if we COULD get Barrie for a reasonable value, I'd be down. Maybe we could do a "future considerations" trade with LV to keep them from taking Braun, if it came down to it. Because of the risk from expansion, I wouldn't pay anyone like Meier or Goldobin for him, though. I would part with one or both of Mueller and Roy, though, if they're looking for D prospects as a required part of the package. I'd also be willing to part with any of Dillon, Nieto, or Wingels in deals to improve the team for this season's run. (assuming we sign DeMelo, of course)

I think it's important to remember, that you only lose one player, so while we'd leave a bunch of good pieces (Marleau, Boedker, Tierney, Martin, Dillon, Demelo, Ward) exposed, only one gets picked.

Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl (Donskoi, Meier exempt; Goldobin traded for Barrie)
Burns, Vlasic, Barrie, Braun

We lose Boedker or Tierney; also drop Dillon, Wingels, and probably Karlsson, covering most of Barrie's 6M payday.

'16'17
Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Meier-Marleau-Ward
Nieto-Tierney-Karlsson

Vlasic-Braun (Play behind Couture)
Martin-Burns (Play behind Thornton)
Schlemko- Barrie (Play behind Marleau)

'17-18
Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Marleau-Hertl-Ward
Sorensen-Chartier-Karlsson/whoever

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Schlemko-Barrie

That would be a scary good team. Would I trade Dillon, Goldobin, and 31st overall to get Barrie? Probably.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I also recall Dillon-Polak getting a lot of OZ starts. Which was basically giving the Pens a license to take the puck back and breakaway. That is what annoyed me.

Yes! It annoyed me as well. I didn't check to see if a high % of OZ starts was true but it seemed that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad