Next Years Team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I'm feeling very excited and optimistic about next year. It appears that we'll be icing our deepest and most talented roster in the history of the franchise. Once Nieto and Demelo sign, which I fully expect to happen any day, Pete will have these players to build our opening night roster from:

Forward: Thornton, Pavs, Logan, Hertl, Donskoi, Marleau, Ward, Boedker, Tierney, Karlsson, Nieto, Wingles, Meier, Goldobin, Sorensen and Goodrow.

Defense: Vlasic, Braun, Burns, Martin, Schlemko, Dillon, Demelo, Mueller and Heed.

Goalie: Jones, Dell, Armalis and Grosenick.

Those are just the most obvious candidates for the roster. That's 16 quality options at forward, 9 quality options on defense and 1 1/2 quality options in net. Obviously, we might trade a player or two away before the start of the season (Wingles, Nieto, Dillon) and we still need a quality backup goalie if we don't want to hand Dell the job. I still believe this team is already better on paper than we were at the end of the Finals.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Im not good at constructing potential lines for our top 9, all I know is its going to be a skilled and motivated mix of youth and maturity and Im excited for this coming season.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I also want to see what we can get for Wingels and Dillon in trades, whether individually or in combination. I think we really need a better and more proven backup goalie than Dell, but with both Wingels and Dillon still on the roster we have no space to sign one once we re-sign Nieto and DeMelo. I think it would improve the team more to get value from Wingels in a trade than to just leave him sitting in the pressbox most of the season.

Oh, and his contract expires after this season, so he's irrelevant as far as the expansion draft is concerned, assuming I don't have the rules wrong.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I'm feeling very excited and optimistic about next year. It appears that we'll be icing our deepest and most talented roster in the history of the franchise. Once Nieto and Demelo sign, which I fully expect to happen any day, Pete will have these players to build our opening night roster from:

Forward: Thornton, Pavs, Logan, Hertl, Donskoi, Marleau, Ward, Boedker, Tierney, Karlsson, Nieto, Wingles, Meier, Goldobin, Sorensen and Goodrow.

Defense: Vlasic, Braun, Burns, Martin, Schlemko, Dillon, Demelo, Mueller and Heed.

Goalie: Jones, Dell, Armalis and Grosenick.

Those are just the most obvious candidates for the roster. That's 16 quality options at forward, 9 quality options on defense and 1 1/2 quality options in net. Obviously, we might trade a player or two away before the start of the season (Wingles, Nieto, Dillon) and we still need a quality backup goalie if we don't want to hand Dell the job. I still believe this team is already better on paper than we were at the end of the Finals.

Looking at that list of fowards, it makes me laugh because you could easily build 3 effective power play units. The obvious first unit, then Donskoi-Hertl-Ward/Boedker as a second unit. Then a third unit of Goldobin/Meier-Tierney-Ward/Boedker/Sorensen. It's nuts.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Now that I am finally home from camping, and can post, here's how I see next years line up as it stands:

(I am assuming Goldobin and Meier make the team out of camp, I expect they will,

Boedker - Couture - Donskoi
Goldobin - Hertl - Pavelski
Marleau - Thornton - Ward
Wingels - Tierney - Meier
Karlsson

Couture proved in the playoffs he is the #1 center on this team when it matters, and I want to put him with players whom will compliment him.

Donskoi and Couture were great all year together, and Boedker adds needed speed there.

Hertl was also one of our best players last season, and needs to start playing center immediately (Thornton may not be on the team as early as 2018). Pavelski needs to be with quicker players than Thornton at this point, and both Hertl and Goldobin play a faster brand of hockey (and at this point are likely just faster than JT). Also, all 3 are very smart players with high hockey IQ and should cover Pavelski's skating deficiencies better.

Marleau belong on the third line at this point, and I realise putting JT on the 3rd line is sacrilege to some, but this is more about match-ups than line numbers. Marleau and Thornton have a history of playing well together, and this gives Marleau the best chance next season to have a better season. It also puts two fast players on JT's wings which not having really hurt us in the finals.

The fourth line is pretty much a third line. Meier and Wingels provide size and speed on the wings, and Tierney is the playmaker. This makes Nieto the odd man out here, and I know many would argue it should be Wingels, but Wingels right now provides everything Nieto provides (Speed, defensive play, PK) and is the best hitter on the team. I think Wingels needs to stay, and Nieto should either be benched, or be on the trade block. Same with Karlsson, though of the two I'd prefer Karlsson as the 13th forward. This will also depends on if Sorenson, Goodrow, Chartier, or Carpenter impress in camp.

Martin - Burns
Vlasic - Braun
Schlemko - DeMelo
Mueller/Heed

Top two pairings are the same as last season, but the bottom pairing is far more mobile and offensively capable. Still, this may need an upgrade mid-season, especially if Mueller/Heed/Ryan/whoever cannot fill the #7 role.

This of course puts Dillon on the trade block, as he should be. He's too inconsistent, too unreliable, and he should be moved as soon as possible. Possibly along with Nieto/Wingels to clear cap space and improve the return.

Ideally I would attempt to package Dillon, Nieto/Wingels and our 2017 1st for a defensemen. My primary targets would be Tyson Barrier and Kevin Shattenkirk, for which we would likely need to add Roy to to get it done (which I would). Barrie would be my main target and would still give us about $3m in cap space to either spend on a backup goalie, or use for a deadline acquisition.

Trade would look like this:
To Avalanche: Dillon, Nieto, 2017 1st + Jeremy Roy
To SJ: Tyson Barrie

So with one trade we would have this roster:

Karlsson

Martin - Burns
Vlasic - Braun
Schlemko - Barrie
DeMelo

Jones
Dell

Sharks will likely need to find a backup goalie at some point, but they have the cap space to do so. Aside from that small issue, I think that team wins the cup next year.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I would much prefer to do Wingels instead of Nieto in a Barrie trade. Clears a lot more space to resign Barrie and get a back up

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Now that I am finally home from camping, and can post, here's how I see next years line up as it stands:

(I am assuming Goldobin and Meier make the team out of camp, I expect they will,

Karlsson

Couture proved in the playoffs he is the #1 center on this team when it matters, and I want to put him with players whom will compliment him.

Donskoi and Couture were great all year together, and Boedker adds needed speed there.

Hertl was also one of our best players last season, and needs to start playing center immediately (Thornton may not be on the team as early as 2018). Pavelski needs to be with quicker players than Thornton at this point, and both Hertl and Goldobin play a faster brand of hockey (and at this point are likely just faster than JT). Also, all 3 are very smart players with high hockey IQ and should cover Pavelski's skating deficiencies better.

Marleau belong on the third line at this point, and I realise putting JT on the 3rd line is sacrilege to some, but this is more about match-ups than line numbers. Marleau and Thornton have a history of playing well together, and this gives Marleau the best chance next season to have a better season. It also puts two fast players on JT's wings which not having really hurt us in the finals.

The fourth line is pretty much a third line. Meier and Wingels provide size and speed on the wings, and Tierney is the playmaker. This makes Nieto the odd man out here, and I know many would argue it should be Wingels, but Wingels right now provides everything Nieto provides (Speed, defensive play, PK) and is the best hitter on the team. I think Wingels needs to stay, and Nieto should either be benched, or be on the trade block. Same with Karlsson, though of the two I'd prefer Karlsson as the 13th forward. This will also depends on if Sorenson, Goodrow, Chartier, or Carpenter impress in camp.

Martin - Burns
Vlasic - Braun
Schlemko - DeMelo
Mueller/Heed

Top two pairings are the same as last season, but the bottom pairing is far more mobile and offensively capable. Still, this may need an upgrade mid-season, especially if Mueller/Heed/Ryan/whoever cannot fill the #7 role.

This of course puts Dillon on the trade block, as he should be. He's too inconsistent, too unreliable, and he should be moved as soon as possible. Possibly along with Nieto/Wingels to clear cap space and improve the return.

Ideally I would attempt to package Dillon, Nieto/Wingels and our 2017 1st for a defensemen. My primary targets would be Tyson Barrier and Kevin Shattenkirk, for which we would likely need to add Roy to to get it done (which I would). Barrie would be my main target and would still give us about $3m in cap space to either spend on a backup goalie, or use for a deadline acquisition.

Karlsson

Martin - Burns
Vlasic - Braun
Schlemko - Barrie
DeMelo

Jones
Dell

Sharks will likely need to find a backup goalie at some point, but they have the cap space to do so. Aside from that small issue, I think that team wins the cup next year.

Okay let's do all fhis

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Safe to say this is the deepest team the Sharks have ever had. Backup goalie our only area of concern right now and that's a position we should be able to fill at some point during the season even if we don't sign one this offseason. I wouldn't mind a better #6 D than Dillon but he'll do fine for now.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

Karlsson

Martin - Burns
Vlasic - Braun
Schlemko - DeMelo
Mueller/Heed

Karlsson

Martin - Burns
Vlasic - Braun
Schlemko - Barrie
DeMelo

Jones
Dell

I'd do that trade for Barrie. Doubt the avs would.

Honestly schlemko-demelo should be more than enough.

Your forward lines likely won't shake out that way. But hertl and pavs likely would do well together.

Personally I think Meier should get the hertl treatment.

I also think Sorensen and heed will surprise a lot of people. Sorensen will likely be better than nieto karlsson wingels and tierney. He will challenge Ward as well.

Heed based on his skating and
shot alone will likely challenge demelo and Dillon.

the more I think on it the more I like boedker-couture-donskoi

The hertl line is toughest for me. I think I would do Marleau-hertl-goldobin though. Speed, skill, puck possession, play making. Lacks a true shooter though.

Pavs will likely fall off a cliff for goals without jumbo.

Then I think Sorensen-tierney-Ward would be killer. But no one wants to drop Ward.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Karlsson

I could see Deboer moving Hertl to center and breaking up our top line. I think we have enough forward depth to create 3 scoring lines and Tierney isn't good enough offensively to center the 3rd. I just don't think it's realistic to expect jumbo and Pavs to be separated. Except for the finals, they had a great season and playoffs together.

I think we are going to see something like this to start camp:

X - Couture - Donskoi
X - Thornton - Pavelski
X - Marleau/Hertl - X
Nieto - Tierney - Wingels

With lots of competition for the open spots.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Idk if everyone should be pencilling Hertl in as center, yes he is a solid option there....but this team plays better with him as a top line wing. Consistently over the last 3 seasons actually, we wouldn't have made the finals without that switch.

Hertl-Jumbo-Pavs
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Meier-Marleau-Ward
Karlsson-Tierny-Wingels/Nieto

I don't think Goldy and Timo will both make the team. In fact they both might not, and Tierny centering Marleau & Ward seems really solid too.
I think they should stay together, Couture & Donskoi stay together, and the Joes stay together

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Idk if everyone should be pencilling Hertl in as center, yes he is a solid option there....but this team plays better with him as a top line wing. Consistently over the last 3 seasons actually, we wouldn't have made the finals without that switch.

Hertl-Jumbo-Pavs
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Meier-Marleau-Ward
Karlsson-Tierny-Wingels/Nieto

I don't think Goldy and Timo will both make the team. In fact they both might not, and Tierny centering Marleau & Ward seems really solid too.
I think they should stay together, Couture & Donskoi stay together, and the Joes stay together

I think your line up is the most likely.

I think what many don't see is that hertl with Marleau and Ward did just about as good production wise and better possession wise than couture in the same spot. Couture certainly scores more goals on his own.

So with that knowledge, and knowing that coutures line when constructed without a playmaker is still considered a 1b line, jumbo and pavs without hertl is still considered a top line by most metrics and a hertl line without a playmaker met 1b metrics. Now we have enough good playmakers to go around.

Could be three first lines and I'm not even joking.

Karlsson-jumbo-pavs
ward-couture-donkey
Marleau-hertl-boedker
Sorensen-tierney-nieto/wingels

That's if goldobin doesn't make it.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
What's your basis for your reasoning on Sorenson. I don't doubt you just curious.

Scoring in his league compared to donskoi and watching his play on YouTube. I made the same call about donskoi and I feel similarly about Sorensen. He looks stronger and has a better shot than donskoi. The plus for him is he plays a net front style that will work well with most of our lines.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I agree with the people calling for keeping Hertl on the top line. That was one of the best lines in the NHL once it was put together. And that's including the playoffs, too. You don't mess with that without compelling reason to do so.

So how about this, assuming both Meier and Goldobin make it:

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Goldobin - Couture - Donskoi
Boedker - Marleau - Meier
Karlsson - Tierney - Ward

I could also see swapping Goldobin's and Boedker's spots in that setup. As-is, though, it gives us one hell of a speedy 3rd line, which lets us create our own clone of Pittsburgh's HBK line that ran all over us in the SCFs.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I feel the same way about Sorenson.

When I heard we had signed Donskoi, I consumed a ton of videos of him and was thoroughly impressed. He seemed like such a smart player, that I was almost positive he'd translate his game to the NHL (in fact, I think Donskoi is just going to get better with us).

When I watch Sorenson, I get the same impression. Really confident. Great puck skills. Fast. I think he's going to work his way into the lineup.

It's seriously ridiculous how many good, skilled forwards we suddenly have. We can create a 5 line team.

Goldobin - Marleau - Ward
Sorenson - Tierney - Wingels
Nieto - Karlsson - Meier

I mean, that's ridiculous.

I think Meier is going to start in the AHL -- there's not a ton of room for him right now, and why not let him get his feet wet with the Barracuda before rushing him up? We don't NEED him just yet.

I like the lines above -- lines 2-4 are FAST, really fast (only two players, Couture and Ward don't have CRAZY jets -- but still move pretty quick) and I'm having trouble breaking up that top line. I get that people want to get Hertl used to playing center.. but he can do it in a season where we don't have Thornton, Marleau and Couture.

I'm on the fence with Marleau at center, but I think with Goldobin (a reportedly great set-up man) and Ward getting him pucks, Marleau can go back to playing more of a sniper/shooter role on that line. It's almost like that old Michalek - Marleau - Bernier line rebuilt.. and that's a really strong third line.

I'm not sure what to do with the fourth line.. We have... too many players. I want to make that fourth line into a scoring line, though, so, Sorenson - Tierney - Wingels interest me. Tierney can set up Sorenson, Wingels can retrieve the puck, Sorenson, ideally, can bring it up with his speed and puck skills.

Not sure what to do with Nieto and Karlsson then, though.

Great problems to have. I seriously can't wait to see this team in action.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I feel the same way about Sorenson.

When I heard we had signed Donskoi, I consumed a ton of videos of him and was thoroughly impressed. He seemed like such a smart player, that I was almost positive he'd translate his game to the NHL (in fact, I think Donskoi is just going to get better with us).

When I watch Sorenson, I get the same impression. Really confident. Great puck skills. Fast. I think he's going to work his way into the lineup.

It's seriously ridiculous how many good, skilled forwards we suddenly have. We can create a 5 line team.

Goldobin - Marleau - Ward
Sorenson - Tierney - Wingels
Nieto - Karlsson - Meier

I mean, that's ridiculous.

I think Meier is going to start in the AHL -- there's not a ton of room for him right now, and why not let him get his feet wet with the Barracuda before rushing him up? We don't NEED him just yet.

I like the lines above -- lines 2-4 are FAST, really fast (only two players, Couture and Ward don't have CRAZY jets -- but still move pretty quick) and I'm having trouble breaking up that top line. I get that people want to get Hertl used to playing center.. but he can do it in a season where we don't have Thornton, Marleau and Couture.

I'm on the fence with Marleau at center, but I think with Goldobin (a reportedly great set-up man) and Ward getting him pucks, Marleau can go back to playing more of a sniper/shooter role on that line. It's almost like that old Michalek - Marleau - Bernier line rebuilt.. and that's a really strong third line.

I'm not sure what to do with the fourth line.. We have... too many players. I want to make that fourth line into a scoring line, though, so, Sorenson - Tierney - Wingels interest me. Tierney can set up Sorenson, Wingels can retrieve the puck, Sorenson, ideally, can bring it up with his speed and puck skills.

Not sure what to do with Nieto and Karlsson then, though.

Great problems to have. I seriously can't wait to see this team in action.

Agree with most of the above, though I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Meier forced his way onto the team. After all, supposedly they were very very impressed with him last camp before he went back to juniors. If he's good enough, there may not be any benefit to having him play against weaker competition. That's one of those things we'll have to wait until training camp to truly know exactly who makes the squad to start the year.

As for the bolded, I would play Karlsson over Wingels 8 days a week, 25 hours a day.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I agree with the people calling for keeping Hertl on the top line. That was one of the best lines in the NHL once it was put together. And that's including the playoffs, too. You don't mess with that without compelling reason to do so.

So how about this, assuming both Meier and Goldobin make it:

Goldobin - Couture - Donskoi
Boedker - Marleau - Meier
Karlsson - Tierney - Ward

I could also see swapping Goldobin's and Boedker's spots in that setup. As-is, though, it gives us one hell of a speedy 3rd line, which lets us create our own clone of Pittsburgh's HBK line that ran all over us in the SCFs.

The issue is the Sharks have to balance a chance at a cup, and preparing player to take their long term roles on the team. The Sharks need Hertl to be, at worst, a #2 center. I honestly think he can be a #1 center because of his puck posession ability. They can't wait till JT leaves, or declines, and then throw him in the deep end. Getting Hertl adjusted to center needs to happen now.

Plus they have at least two new wingers incoming this year, probably 3, (Goldobin, Meier, Sorenson) and can afford to move Hertl off the wing (in fact, they may not have much other choice).

If all 3 of those guys make the team, some tough choices are going to have to be made. I think guys like Nieto, Wingels, Karlsson, etc are going to be playing for their spots as much as Meier, Goldobin and Sorenson.

The Sharks are in that sweet spot this season where their veterans are still performing, their young players are in their prime, and they have a big crop of talented rookies trying to make the team. This year HAS to be it. They have to come home with a cup, Wilson needs to make any deal he can to load this team up and ensure that happens. That's why I think he should go hard after Barrie, Shattenkirk, Trouba, or anyone else that might be available. I think that's also why he went after Stamkos. He knows what he needs to do, I think you can expect at least one blockbuster this season (a la Kessel for the Pens).

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Agree with most of the above, though I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Meier forced his way onto the team. After all, supposedly they were very very impressed with him last camp before he went back to juniors. If he's good enough, there may not be any benefit to having him play against weaker competition. That's one of those things we'll have to wait until training camp to truly know exactly who makes the squad to start the year.

As for the bolded, I would play Karlsson over Wingels 8 days a week, 25 hours a day.

Yeah, fair on both points. I do like Wingels but he hasn't really been able to reclaim the confidence or skill he had in the previous season.

I like Nieto, too. He's still young, he's a smart player and I want to give him another chance to prove he can be a scorer.

I think Hockeyball has the right idea here -- a forward or two (and perhaps DeMelo) could maybe be traded for a strong defenseman.

I'd still love for us to grab a back-up goalie, but I'm pretty certain Doug is working on that.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The issue is the Sharks have to balance a chance at a cup, and preparing player to take their long term roles on the team. The Sharks need Hertl to be, at worst, a #2 center. I honestly think he can be a #1 center because of his puck posession ability. They can't wait till JT leaves, or declines, and then throw him in the deep end. Getting Hertl adjusted to center needs to happen now.

Plus they have at least two new wingers incoming this year, probably 3, (Goldobin, Meier, Sorenson) and can afford to move Hertl off the wing (in fact, they may not have much other choice).

If all 3 of those guys make the team, some tough choices are going to have to be made. I think guys like Nieto, Wingels, Karlsson, etc are going to be playing for their spots as much as Meier, Goldobin and Sorenson.

The Sharks are in that sweet spot this season where their veterans are still performing, their young players are in their prime, and they have a big crop of talented rookies trying to make the team. This year HAS to be it. They have to come home with a cup, Wilson needs to make any deal he can to load this team up and ensure that happens. That's why I think he should go hard after Barrie, Shattenkirk, Trouba, or anyone else that might be available. I think that's also why he went after Stamkos. He knows what he needs to do, I think you can expect at least one blockbuster this season (a la Kessel for the Pens).

Valid points. Not sure I agree with you about separating Thornton and Pavelski -- but I do see what you're saying about Hertl at center. They could always throw him back up on that wing when they're behind in a game.

Similarly agree with this year being our best chance. If we could get someone like Shattenkirk or Barrie, that gives us a ridiculously strong D-corp to match the forwards.

Go, Doug, go...

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
...Wilson needs to make any deal he can to load this team up and ensure that happens. That's why I think he should go hard after Barrie, Shattenkirk, Trouba, or anyone else that might be available. I think that's also why he went after Stamkos. He knows what he needs to do, I think you can expect at least one blockbuster this season (a la Kessel for the Pens).

We are certainly in a great position to do a quantity for quality trade. The problem is that those trades don't happen very often. Plus, with the expansion draft looming, it's going to be even harder to get that quality guy for players that could go to Vegas.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Basically, our lines depend on who makes it out of camp from Goldobin and Meier. It looks like the org is gonna have a revolving door of #7D with Schlemko, DeMelo, and Dillon all being healthy scratches from time to time.

If both make it, Ward will likely be on the 4th line and Wingels and Karlsson both will be the odd men out.

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Meier-Marleau-Goldobin
Nieto-Tierney-Ward

However, I think only one of them will make it, Ward will get the spot that Goldobin has, and Karlsson will stay.

Honestly after some time has passed, I'm pissed about the Boedker signing because I wanted to see both Meier and Goldobin in the NHL and I don't think either one would have done much worse than Boedker will. :/

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Karlsson

Martin - Burns
Vlasic - Braun
Schlemko - DeMelo
Mueller/Heed

Karlsson

Martin - Burns
Vlasic - Braun
Schlemko - Barrie
DeMelo

Jones
Dell

No chance in hell Avs take that deal but they probably would take either one of Meier or Goldobin and a small addition.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I'm in the develop hertl as a top center camp. At center he reminds me of ROR but better. The simple fact is we can develop him into a future 1c and still win the division.

Even if boedker is the only new forward to break into the lineup.

Karlsson/jumbo/pavs
Ward-couture-donskoi
Marleau/hertl/boedker
Wingels/tierney/nieto

Is still one of the top three forward lineups in the division.

Another thing to consider is that hertl kind of became hertl because of his time with jumbo. The confidence around the net. Having that little bit of extra space so he could try things. Meier will need that as well imo. Hertl with his new contract has to step out into his own now. Cooch and hertl are our future.

If meier needs AHL time, so be it. But he should get the same shot as hertl

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think if Meier comes up he will be put with Thornton and Pavs just because of playstyle and pedigree. It's interesting to note that Goldobin didn't get the same treatment but that's probably just because his weak defensive zone play makes it hard to match him against top comp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad