Next Years Team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think only one rookie makes the squad. I don't see a Barrie trade either. I don't foresee much more Sharks action.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
DW could package nieto Dillon our first and goldobin and probably still not get Barrie.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think only one rookie makes the squad. I don't see a Barrie trade either. I don't foresee much more Sharks action.

I disagree. It might not be till the deadline, but Wilson knows this is his last best shot for awhile. He'll go all in. Probably won't be Barrie, but it'll be somebody. Barrie is just my ideal get, but there are quite a few other options he could go for.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I think if Meier comes up he will be put with Thornton and Pavs just because of playstyle and pedigree. It's interesting to note that Goldobin didn't get the same treatment but that's probably just because his weak defensive zone play makes it hard to match him against top comp.

Goldobin played with Thornton and Pavelski. His only goal was on a feed from Jumbo.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I disagree. It might not be till the deadline, but Wilson knows this is his last best shot for awhile. He'll go all in. Probably won't be Barrie, but it'll be somebody. Barrie is just my ideal get, but there are quite a few other options he could go for.

I don't see it.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Whatever the team may say about Goldobin, he was clearly held out this past season to protect him from the expansion draft. Getting his contract to slide was good for them on too many levels not to take advantage of it.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Imho Barrie would be redundant to winning now. He's a guy you grab to replace burns down the line. He'd most certainly not play on our bottom pairing. Not enough ice time to go around for a player like that and him playing 15 min a night seems like a waste for the money he will pull.

I think our d is solid.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Imho Barrie would be redundant to winning now. He's a guy you grab to replace burns down the line. He'd most certainly not play on our bottom pairing. Not enough ice time to go around for a player like that and him playing 15 min a night seems like a waste for the money he will pull.

I think our d is solid.

If he is replacing burns in the future then he is just what we need to win now. The team still needs offense from the bottom pairing and if barrie can do that then he is perfect.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

I think our d is solid.

Exactly. DW filled the holes he wanted. a top 9 forward and a mobile #5 dman. Goal should be to build on last year.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
If he is replacing burns in the future then he is just what we need to win now. The team still needs offense from the bottom pairing and if barrie can do that then he is perfect.

He can play top pairing now but he's not better than anyone except Martin on our team, defensively. At the cap hit he will likely command...you'll never see a team do that.

Not only that we don't really have the pieces to make a trade for him. We'd likely have to move Braun our first and a prospect and that still might not get it done.

I'm not against getting him but he'd be anchoring the 2nd pp and not getting prime offensive minutes for us since we'd have burns. So who knows what kind of numbers he'd put up.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I don't see it.

Generally you seem to err on the side of hyper-conservitism most years it seems. So no surprise there.

I think you probably would have (or maybe did) called my hope for getting Burns or Jones 'unrealistic' too, but those both happened. I also accurately predicted Heatley, wanted Reimer, wanted Ian White, among quite a few others. I've been right a fair amount over the years. This time I think the Sharks are going to make a big acquisition, probably a d-man, prior the deadline. Pen's did so with Kessel and stomped us. I don't think Wilson is going to play conservative this year, he's going to stack the deck hard.

It's easy to expect no change, when you're right you look wise, when you're wrong you can just act surprised.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I'm in the develop hertl as a top center camp. At center he reminds me of ROR but better. The simple fact is we can develop him into a future 1c and still win the division.

Even if boedker is the only new forward to break into the lineup.

Karlsson/jumbo/pavs
Ward-couture-donskoi
Marleau/hertl/boedker
Wingels/tierney/nieto

Apologies if this is out of context as I have not been following this line of discussion that closely, but Karlsson can NOT be played on the Thornton line if the team wants to compete.

Karlsson on the top line leads to missing the playoffs. I know that's simplistic but he absolutely does not have the chops to play on that line, he needs to be dragged around on that line and will neuter its effectiveness.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Generally you seem to err on the side of hyper-conservitism most years it seems. So no surprise there.

I think you probably would have (or maybe did) called my hope for getting Burns or Jones 'unrealistic' too, but those both happened. I also accurately predicted Heatley, wanted Reimer, wanted Ian White, among quite a few others. I've been right a fair amount over the years. This time I think the Sharks are going to make a big acquisition, probably a d-man, prior the deadline. Pen's did so with Kessel and stomped us. I don't think Wilson is going to play conservative this year, he's going to stack the deck hard.

It's easy to expect no change, when you're right you look wise, when you're wrong you can just act surprised.

Kessel was an offseason acquisition. July 1 even.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Apologies if this is out of context as I have not been following this line of discussion that closely, but Karlsson can NOT be played on the Thornton line if the team wants to compete.

Karlsson on the top line leads to missing the playoffs. I know that's simplistic but he absolutely does not have the chops to play on that line, he needs to be dragged around on that line and will neuter its effectiveness.

Are you saying that because we missed the playoffs last season?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Pittsburgh didn't "stack" the deck. They got hot at the right time and the team came together. Ironically the one time they tried, they flamed out in the first round in hilarious fashion. About Burns and Jones, I don't remember and don't really care.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Are you saying that because we missed the playoffs last season?

Well he was the feature F1 on the top line the season we missed, yes. And he is part of the reason for that. But the main reason is that he simply does not have the chops to make that line formidable. He is a possession liability.

It's an important line for the team because it can dominate every game against any competition if it has a good F1. If it doesn't it becomes unreliable at best. And it doesn't stand a chance against the better teams in the league.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
If they missed the playoffs two years in a row, I'd advocate a ton of turnover. The team is in a pretty good spot with a nice mix of players.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Come on. The time to acquire big offseason talent has come and gone for the Sharks. You didn't mean that and you know it.

I pretty clearly said, more than once, "it might be now, or the deadline" which is summed up by "before the deadline" so that is exactly what I meant. Point is, sharks will make some big acquisition this year to stack the deck.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If they missed the playoffs two years in a row, I'd advocate a ton of turnover. The team is in a pretty good spot with a nice mix of players.

a lot of turnover? I'm proposing trading 2 players, both of which are now disposable given other acquisitions (and one which directly replaces the player traded).

How is that a 'lot of turnover'?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I bet the asking price for Barrie would be like 1st+Goldobin+Meier which is kinda similar to what we paid for Burns but Seto wasn't worth as much. Dunno if that'd be a price I'd be willing to pay.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
again, Barrie is my ideal get, but there are several other options as well. Shattenkirk, Trouba, etc. If that package doesn't get it done, I'd probably stand pat for now and wait it out until someone pops loose. If it got the deadline and nothing has happened, I'd include whichever of Goldobin, Meier has been the lesser player upto that point. and keep Nieto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad