Next years cap/roster

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I wouldn't be surprised to see Chabot eventually traded if there's a hockey deal out there. If Norris plays well enough then same thing, but that seems less likely.
At $10M a year, he'd have to be playing very well and not be injured for extended periods of time for that to happen. But if he was playing that well, would they want to trade him? Also have to be to a team that's not on his No Trade list. Unlikely IMO but what do I know?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Kleven & Grieg will be RFAs next year, so those numbers are low. However, we might end up with a less expensive backup goalie.

Also, Giroux and his $6.5 m is still in this 2025-26 spreadsheet, so there could be a change there. I’ve kept him there as a placeholder.

So, in summary, yes it looks OK to me so far unless there’s some surprises.
Giroux should be orange as a placeholder.

Reactions: DrEasy

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Giroux should be orange as a placeholder.
I had already put UFA in brackets besides Giroux’s name, but yes - done.

1728781316164.png

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I had already put UFA in brackets besides Giroux’s name, but yes - done.

View attachment 915838
Giroux shouldn't be back at the same number, 5m tops on 1 year deal. Perron was such a stupid signing from the get go, dude can't keep up at all and he's even going to be slower next year. Imagine the pain watching him chase every single play always being 5 feet behind. Glad we paid 4m to have the pleasure of witnessing that every game.

Chabot should to be traded asap, his cap hit is way too high, he seems to be getting worse in his prime years not better, needs to be replaced with someone cheaper. Kleven should not be paired with Yak, he has to have a legit vet Dman mentoring him instead, not an AHL caliber Hamonic or a completely inexperienced rookie compounding their mistakes.

I'd leave Yak down to season an additional year so he improves his skating and defensive game more before bringing him up, he actually has a chance to turn into a real impact player if he develops properly, we should be patient a little with him and let him round out his game more first.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Giroux shouldn't be back at the same number, 5m tops on 1 year deal. Perron was such a stupid signing from the get go, dude can't keep up at all and he's even going to be slower next year. Imagine the pain watching him chase every single play always being 5 feet behind. Glad we paid 4m to have the pleasure of witnessing that every game.

Chabot should to be traded asap, his cap hit is way too high, he seems to be getting worse in his prime years not better, needs to be replaced with someone cheaper. Kleven should not be paired with Yak, he has to have a legit vet Dman mentoring him instead, not an AHL caliber Hamonic or a completely inexperienced rookie compounding their mistakes.

I'd leave Yak down to season an additional year so he improves his skating and defensive game more before bringing him up, he actually has a chance to turn into a real impact player if he develops properly, we should be patient a little with him and let him round out his game more first.
Just to clarify, my focus is directed to the numbers versus what the roster should be.

I ask for, and get suggestions from other posters, and then incorporate them into the next iteration of the spreadsheet. The main idea is to see if a roster will be cap compliant.

Seeing as how we would be cap compliant even with Giroux’s current cap hit, I left Giroux’s cap hit at the current $6.5 m just to see if it works and if we will still be cap compliant. You can think of this as having $6.5 m for Giroux or another player that would replace Giroux. I suspect you are correct in that if Giroux is re-signed, it will be at a lower number and will also be potentially a shorter term as well.

There’s numerous ideas about roster construction, so it would be hard to create a spreadsheet for every idea. You may be already aware of all of this, so mea culpa if I’m being redundant. I’ll wait a bit to see what other suggestions (or more optimistically consensus) arise, and then produce another spreadsheet iteration. I suspect an adjustment will be made to Giroux’s cell.

Last edited:
Reactions: SENStastic

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It's a short sample size since page 1, but Giroux is not looking like a 5M-6.5M type player.

He is looking like a year to year player. If they need an avenue for extra cap space next season, they could go 1 year with a low base salary, and give him a majority of his money through paper signing bonuses. Take whatever number is fair, 3M, 4M, 5M, whatever. Let's say it's 4M. 1M base salary, 3M bonus at 5GP.

That way, most of his cap is pushed to 2026-27.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
1728963251091.png

Just over 13.000 to re-sign Gregor, Giroux, Greig, a backup, and two spares.

Some estimates:
5.000 to Giroux
2.500 to Greig
2.000 to McBackup
1.500 to Gregor
1.000 to Roster #19
1.000 to Roster #20
Total: 13.000

The Sens should have no issue with the cap next year. There's some areas they can save in (cheaper backup or #19/20 for example) if needed.

Reactions: Dionysus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad