Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I hope the reason around the smoke for Bowman is to get him in the news to apply and be considered for other positions. I don't want him here.
Im in the minority that doesn't mind if bowman comes here (although I think there are much better candidates on merit) . Someone on his team did an awful thing and that piece of shit deserves jail.

I have no idea how people like Doug Gilmour who is basically a statutory rapist or Mact who went to jail for killing someone as a drunk driver gets a second chance.

Hell even part of our current organization - are you going to tell me Ken Holland had no idea how much of a piece of shit Mike Babcock was and his treatment of Franzen and other players from his time in detroit?

Reactions: Stoneman89

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
E

Nice to see someone else mentioning Botterill. You’d think a guy who’s spent 15 years working under the likes of Ray Shero, Jim Rutherford and now Ron Francis would be near the top of the list of candidates. The tenure in Buffalo wasn’t great, but everything around that franchise is a disaster. Plus there should be some level of redemption considering one of the “worst” moves he made in the O’Reilly trade has turned around now with Thompson turning into the top line forward they likely projected when they made the deal. He’s definitely an interesting name to me.

When you look at this trades long term, they're not too bad to be honest.

Tage Thompson for O'Rielly was a win-win for both teams, but I'm sure St. Louis would love to have Thompson right about now.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
E

Nice to see someone else mentioning Botterill. You’d think a guy who’s spent 15 years working under the likes of Ray Shero, Jim Rutherford and now Ron Francis would be near the top of the list of candidates. The tenure in Buffalo wasn’t great, but everything around that franchise is a disaster. Plus there should be some level of redemption considering one of the “worst” moves he made in the O’Reilly trade has turned around now with Thompson turning into the top line forward they likely projected when they made the deal. He’s definitely an interesting name to me.

Yeah it’s hard to know on Botterill. I don’t think anyone working with the Pegulas is going to look good.

Reactions: Oilers88

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He's top 3 shortlist for me. The Buffalo situation was highly dysfunctional and the O'Reilly trade really perceived poorly because he went out and won a Cup. But Thompson, a 1st and more delivered what they needed. Skinner deal was possibly owner driven. Undercut by a subordinate who hasn't moved the needle on a loser culture.

Interesting background with his Dad an academic sports psychologist but who has also worked with Mike Keenan and other NHL types going back decades. Solid solid mentors as you mention. Gone through an expansion process to review and access league wide talent. Solid development work with the Penguins during winning years.
I like Botterill as well. Another similar candidate would be Paul Fenton, a lot of experience in a front office that did some good work under Poile, his first stint as a GM wasn’t great in Minnesota but kind of similar to Botterill that it wasn’t a great situation but he landed on his feet in Florida and seems to be a valuable member of that front office.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I like Botterill as well. Another similar candidate would be Paul Fenton, a lot of experience in a front office that did some good work under Poile, his first stint as a GM wasn’t great in Minnesota but kind of similar to Botterill that it wasn’t a great situation but he landed on his feet in Florida and seems to be a valuable member of that front office.
Similar but about a fifteen year age gap. Fenton has really deep hockey experience but I'm personally not sure if Jackson is looking for a fully formed guy who will be age 65 in December. My impression will be a younger experience guy with runway with still latent growth/development runway with the position. Botterill seems within that sweet spot age wise for a growing of next generation GM's.

Ideally I'd like to see someone with outside real life experience along with educational pedigree. The agent to management route is a trend I really like. Sophistication of business operations, contract negotiations, information/analytic based decision making. Innovative, progressive thinking and calculated risk taker. Florida has a really compelling organization chart as one dives into the people, backgrounds and experiences.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Similar but about a fifteen year age gap. Fenton has really deep hockey experience but I'm personally not sure if Jackson is looking for a fully formed guy who will be age 65 in December. My impression will be a younger experience guy with runway with still latent growth/development runway with the position. Botterill seems within that sweet spot age wise for a growing of next generation GM's.

Ideally I'd like to see someone with outside real life experience along with educational pedigree. The agent to management route is a trend I really like. Sophistication of business operations, contract negotiations, information/analytic based decision making. Innovative, progressive thinking and calculated risk taker. Florida has a really compelling organization chart as one dives into the people, backgrounds and experiences.
Big difference age wise I meant more in terms of their career paths being similar even though Fentons spans a longer timeline.

The Panthers head office and hockey operations organizational chart is expansive to say the least haha. Viola is going to go broke buying Stanley Cup rings.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Botteril is still quite young, some of the suggestions are almost as old as Holland.

He's also from Edmonton, which shouldn't make a big difference, but I suppose it would be a little beneficial to have someone who knows the market straight away.

I also like that he was a big part of the Penguins Cup winning teams ... I think that is the roster build we are most similar to.

Buffalo is a tough situation to turn around in just 3 years. Hiring Krueger and sticking with him was a bad move though.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Imagine hiring the gm that gave Seth Jones that horrendous contract, which then gave Nurse a comparable for Holland to sign him to an even worse contract. That alone should keep Bowman away, let alone the coverup. Horrible GM and even worse person.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
This terrible incident and its fallout aside, what makes Stan Bowman "the GM" a good candidate? What are some of his best moves that he has made over the years? That Seth Jones contract is haunting the hell out of Chicago and they are a tire fire.

He retooled the Hawks to win two more Cups

But…they had a deep core and the first Cup was one of the deepest teams in the cap era (like the Oilers would be this coming season). And the team still had decent holes to overcome each Cup win (no centre depth).

I’m sure he’d be better than when he overpaid support players when the Hawks were trying to keep the gang together post Cups, but is he the best candidate? No. And with all of the bad publicity they would garner which could end up a legitimate distraction, huge pass

Let some rebuilding team hire him instead

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

But…they had a deep core and the first Cup was one of the deepest teams in the cap era (like the Oilers would be this coming season). And the team still had decent holes to overcome each Cup win (no centre depth).

I’m sure he’d be better than when he overpaid support players when the Hawks were trying to keep the gang together post Cups, but is he the best candidate? No. And with all of the bad publicity they would garner which could end up a legitimate distraction, huge pass

That first team was crazy deep up front.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'd be more inclined to bring in Dale Tallon than Stan Bowman if the organization has to chase the chicago success model. He built that team while Bowman sort of maintained it(while leaving gaping holes in the roster) until the core flamed out. Tallon also was a big part of Florida's turnaround, and I don't doubt that he had some decent input into Vancouver's player acquisition strategies during their rebound over the last year considering his obvious talent evaluation chops.

Seems to be a guy that teams seem to want to replace right before the final hurdle though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Indifferent to Mark Hunter, but I don't want Stan Bowman anywhere near the team.
He’s just not good enough to be worth the bad publicity and shit it would bring to the team. The upside is so minor.
His Jones contract hurt the Hawks and the Oilers so much.

Reactions: BudBundy

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
If we hire Mark Hunter, would Brad Holland potentially stay on as assistant?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He’s just not good enough to be worth the bad publicity and shit it would bring to the team. The upside is so minor.
His Jones contract hurt the Hawks and the Oilers so much.

Virtanen wasn't good enough to be worth the bad publicity by bringing him in on a PTO either. But they did it. I don't think the Oilers particularly care about bad publicity in regards to this particular area of concern.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'm hearing rumors of Brian Lawton.

Seriously tho... what are the options.

I'm not very excited about what's out there tbh.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I don't really see a lot of retooling. Mostly he let it deteriorate.

Reactions: BudBundy

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I don't really see a lot of retooling. Mostly he let it deteriorate.

Really not interested in defending Bowman too much, but as probably the biggest Hawks fan here of that Kane / Toews / Keith etc era, I’ll take a stab at it. He acquired these players that had various impacts on the next two Cups and playoff runs between

Nick Leddy (traded bust Cam Barker)

V Stalberg (decent player, even if not much production in the next Cup run, for Versteeg out, who they could no longer afford)

Acquired the Hayes brothers (overrated but decent)

Drafted Saad with the Flames’ 2nd rounder

Got Frolik for a bust and some spare parts

Drafted Danault (unfortunately did not keep the player)

Traded a late pick for signings rights of Steve Montador

Couple of picks for Oduya

4th for Handzus

Couple of picks for Rundblad

Traded up to draft Nick Schmaltz

Not many of these are really home runs but some solid transactions here, especially for support players that helped them win Cups. Wheels started to fall off around 14/15 so they were a bit lucky to win that third Cup before stagnation.

Not a very good GM but not as bad as some think. Given the context, certainly not worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad