Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I think it's Mark Hunter. Sure JJ said no rookie GM but Mark isn't a rookie. Maybe in the NHL but he's ran an elite Knights team for 14 years.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think it's Mark Hunter. Sure JJ said no rookie GM but Mark isn't a rookie. Maybe in the NHL but he's ran an elite Knights team for 14 years.

Having to be constantly filling holes on a Jr team is certainly a useful mindset for what we need. With all our elite players and some making way too much, we need to always find ways to fill holes as well as possible on a budget. And not just UFA's. Need to win trades and find undervalued players like Zito did with guys like Verhaghe, Montour, bennett, forsling, etc...

Starting to feel like this is a sure thing. Gotta stay hopeful it works, because this is it. Last GM choice for the rest of McDrai's prime.

Reactions: elmeroil

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It kind of shocks me that we don’t have a GM in place yet as Holland leaving this offseason has been well known for a long time. On the flip side, it seems like JJ and co are doing their due diligence which is admirable

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
We were the loser franchise that were calling for the tank job since game 1 of the season from about 2009 until McDavid's draft. lol.
Man- that time was painful. Tambo couldn’t even do a proper rebuild. Remember Smithson was the big TDL get one year.

Reactions: ZJuice

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Last edited:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

DavidHasselhoffsFist

May 9, 2010
I think that would still fall under the "outta left field" category.
For sure. Like I said had no intention of suggesting him for role.
We have his former Jr coach and his former agent, I guess what I should be asking is if anyone would be surprised if we hired his former GM?

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Any thoughts on Dave Brown? Been the GM in Erie since 2015, obvious connections with coach Kris and Jeff. Also would keep up with the “everything McDavid” trend. Not suggesting but curious if anyone has thoughts on him. Don’t blast me please lol.
Dave Brown at eliteprospects.com

Erie Otters Name Dave Brown as Vice President of Operations, General Manager - Erie Otters

Every insider so far has said that the next hire will have NHL experience and that it won't be a rookie

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
It kind of shocks me that we don’t have a GM in place yet as Holland leaving this offseason has been well known for a long time. On the flip side, it seems like JJ and co are doing their due diligence which is admirable
Or…..Holland had a succession plan but it wasnt Accepted?

DavidHasselhoffsFist

May 9, 2010
JJ said the candidates they had in mind were currently working for other NHL teams for the draft. I dont understand the smoke about Bowman or these CHL GM's
I asked a stupid question about a CHL GM. I don’t think there are any rumours involving a CHL GM and our vacancy

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Anyone here buying into that link in the main board about the Oilers having interest in Stan Bowman. All the Oiler bashers like Three on Zero having a field day with it.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
JJ said the candidates they had in mind were currently working for other NHL teams for the draft. I dont understand the smoke about Bowman or these CHL GM's
I don't remember his wording but did he explicitly say that all the candidates were in the NHL?

They could still have candidates outside the NHL, but are waiting for permission to talk to all their candidates before moving forward in the process.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
I don't remember his wording but did he explicitly say that all the candidates were in the NHL?

They could still have candidates outside the NHL, but are waiting for permission to talk to all their candidates before moving forward in the process.

"people that i want to talk to are integral parts of other organizations"

he had also mentioned not wanting a rookie GM, I guess thats up for interpretation but i would assume that means people with NHL experience and not CHL guys

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Anyone here buying into that link in the main board about the Oilers having interest in Stan Bowman. All the Oiler bashers like Three on Zero having a field day with it.

I can only speak for myself. I will not happy be happy if the Oilers hire Bowman. I compare it to the Eskimos signing Eric TIllman. Even the most die hard Eski fan was not happy with that. So this has little to do with oiler bashing from outsiders as it does with the Oiler fan base not liking why Bowman was blacklisted/banned by the NHL. He tried to cover it up, did a bad job of it and I do not want him near the oilers

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I can only speak for myself. I will not happy be happy if the Oilers hire Bowman. I compare it to the Eskimos signing Eric TIllman. Even the most die hard Eski fan was not happy with that. So this has little to do with oiler bashing from outsiders as it does with the Oiler fan base not liking why Bowman was blacklisted/banned by the NHL. He tried to cover it up, did a bad job of it and I do not want him near the oilers

I dont want him there either, no one does. I just think they really believe in Jeff Jackson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad