Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You avoid the real reason as to why Staios left. He was super-connected to Andlauer and was always going there if he landed a franchise. He was also a safety valve for the oilers if it didn’t happen. When it did it unfolded as expected. Both teams knew that. The guy was wise to feather his nest both ways.

Shouldn’t you be in a different thread worrying about Leon’s girlfriend’s acting career?

PS - welcome to HFOil. you joined in the midst of an epic SC run, but you joined very late. Must have been tied up cheering for some other organization perhaps? PS, do you have water yet in Calgary?
Like. Lol.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I’m gonna make a suggestion. Just hear me out

It’s a little out there, so just keep an open mind

1719490316800.jpeg

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I thought Lowe was retired and just a was a community ambassador or something now?
He knows a few things about winning if there's ever a concern, pretty sure that's been his role the past few years.

I’m gonna make a suggestion. Just hear me out

It’s a little out there, so just keep an open mind

View attachment 887947
Are you spending the summer detoxing the A&W out of your body? Thanks for being such a trooper, you nearly willed the Oilers to a cup one teen burger at a time!

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Jackson has shown that he’s ready and willing to have an active role in the running of the team. He has already changed some personnel (scouts, analytics) and doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to fill the GM spot.
This could mean that he will be the interim GM for a season, with the current assistants and support staff. Doing so, allows him to wait for the right hire, while setting the course via free agents, trades, buyouts, etc.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
Strange the team didn't have a successor groomed, or replacement lined up.
It wasn't coming at a surprise that Holland's contract was expiring. Succession planning should be part of any well run organization.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun on that critique, but usually you'd combine announcements (even to say announce acting GM) . Especially at this critical point in time.

Ninebreaker

Mar 4, 2014
I think Gillis is a very smart man, and was a good GM for the Canucks. He really loaded up the team with the right parts for them to make their cup push.

He invested a lot into things to that I think at the time were not very popular. He hired a sleep doctor to help players manage the tough west coast travel schedule. He visited an NBA team (can't remember which one) to see how another top sports team was run. He also established an analytics department, back when the eye test was probably still major metric for the league.

However, I think he would only be effective as president or with another competent AGM. In Vancouver, he had Laurence Gilman, who was their "capologist" at the time. It was rumoured that other GMs disliked Gillis (because of his player agent days? Because of the old boys club? His ego and personality? Not sure) and that Gilman did a lot of the calls and negotiating when it came to trades.

Just some stuff off the top of my head that might be interesting, if y'all think Gillis might be an option here.

Reactions: foshizzle

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Strange the team didn't have a successor groomed, or replacement lined up.
It wasn't coming at a surprise that Holland's contract was expiring. Succession planning should be part of any well run organization.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun on that critique, but usually you'd combine announcements (even to say announce acting GM) . Especially at this critical point in time.
Personally I'm pretty confident Jackson has a clear strategic plan for the organization. He's regarded for his thoroughness and detail focus in his professional career. Noted that he and Holland arrived at the exit decision sometime back and that both agreed to avoid off-ice organizational strategic work distracting from this team's playoff run ... which extended to the very last possible date on the playoff schedule.

They have their short-term decision making in place with Pacey's team driving a light NHL Draft weekend. He's overseeing free agent contracts with the established management support in Capology and Pro Scouting. Said he's got a prospect list in place for GM job recognizing the next couple of weeks is go-time for all NHL organizations (Draft, Free Agency and Trade Time) so the late playoff run likely requires the interview and hiring process to lag somewhat. No panic voiced, due process, get this critical hire done right.

The organization has been slow and steadily pivoting to realize Jackson's vision of a modern NHL management team with the early Pacey hiring; Knoblauch hiring; analytics hire Parkatti; Larsson development. The final and critical GM piece will come in the month ahead.

EDIT: Sounds like Jackson is targeting people working currently within NHL management and quite possibly the next generation types similar to Knoblauch's hire.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Personally I'm pretty confident Jackson has a clear strategic plan for the organization. He's regarded for his thoroughness and detail focus in his professional career. Noted that he and Holland arrived at the exit decision sometime back and that both agreed to avoid off-ice organizational strategic work distracting from this team's playoff run ... which extended to the very last possible date on the playoff schedule.

They have their short-term decision making in place with Pacey's team driving a light NHL Draft weekend. He's overseeing free agent contracts with the established management support in Capology and Pro Scouting. Said he's got a prospect list in place for GM job recognizing the next couple of weeks is go-time for all NHL organizations (Draft, Free Agency and Trade Time) so the late playoff run likely requires the interview and hiring process to lag somewhat. No panic voiced, due process, get this critical hire done right.

The organization has been slow and steadily pivoting to realize Jackson's vision of a modern NHL management team with the early Pacey hiring; Knoblauch hiring; analytics hire Parkatti; Larsson development. The final and critical GM piece will come in the month ahead.

EDIT: Sounds like Jackson is targeting people working currently within NHL management and quite possibly the next generation types similar to Knoblauch's hire.
Horcoff maybe?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I really liked his presser, seemed very confident and has a plan, something that I just never got from holland. Will be interesting to see who he is looking at to be the next gm.
Hum. Holland's plan was to bring stability and professionalism to a gonzo organization. Brought in a deeply experienced veteran coach to help stabilize their team. He had to build up NHL depth across all areas while also having to support critical development function within their prospect pool. Ultimately he oversaw a lottery team to a progressive playoff team culminating in year 5 in a Cup Final in 7 game series.

Through this time as big boss man he had to react and course correct with unforseen factors including losing a cornerstone prime year defenseman Klefbom's career ending injury; Adam Larsson's dad dying in Edmonton which led to losing a second cornerstone defenseman; wrangling out of Lucic's cap handcuff contract; a global pandemic which crushed cap growth over 3 seasons. Firing and hiring two additional NHL coaches due to a supremely volatile team performances.

Jackson is a much better, clearer communicator than Holland and a more analytical personality type. He exudes confidence and certainty whereas Holland was more stream-of-consciousness prone to rambling in his public interviews. That might have undermined Holland somewhat (NHL Guide & Record Book; Up and Down Like a Toilet Seat; In Detroit We Did ...). But Holland has ultimately built a strong organizational winning culture and a team that delivered progressive results year over year.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Hum. Holland's plan was to bring stability and professionalism to a gonzo organization. Brought in a deeply experienced veteran coach to help stabilize their team. He had to build up NHL depth across all areas while also having to support critical development function within their prospect pool. Ultimately he oversaw a lottery team to a progressive playoff team culminating in year 5 in a Cup Final in 7 game series.

Through this time as big boss man he had to react and course correct with unforseen factors including losing a cornerstone prime year defenseman Klefbom's career ending injury; Adam Larsson's dad dying in Edmonton which led to losing a second cornerstone defenseman; wrangling out of Lucic's cap handcuff contract; a global pandemic which crushed cap growth over 3 seasons. Firing and hiring two additional NHL coaches due to a supremely volatile team performances.

Jackson is a much better, clearer communicator than Holland and a more analytical personality type. He exudes confidence and certainty whereas Holland was more stream-of-consciousness prone to rambling in his public interviews. That might have undermined Holland somewhat (NHL Guide & Record Book; Up and Down Like a Toilet Seat; In Detroit We Did ...). But Holland has ultimately built a strong organizational winning culture and a team that delivered progressive results year over year.
Nailed it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad