Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Oilers fans now forced to compare and defend our organization against the powerhouse Sens? Gotta be kidding me right now. IP check please. f***in sus.
lol 100% a team 1 goal from a stanley cup but claim you would rather have the sens job? lol yeah dawg drive out of town for 45 mins to have every player under contract request a trade out eventually. makes total sense

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Keith is by and large responsible for the Bakersfield team and operations. The org probably wants to continue in that manner, at least for the foreseeable future.
If anything, any junior GM / interim spot would got to Holland Jr. if internal names come up.
Yeah, for sure.

I get the impression that Keith Gretzky doesn't want the position and that's totally fine. He has a pretty sweet gig in Bakersfield and he's doing a pretty good job for the most part.

Interesting point about the "junior" GM role, like they were trying to do with Staios. I know it's early, but I could totally see Sam Gagner being groomed for something like that.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It’s way less about the actual picks and moreso about having all 32 teams in a room where lots of traction towards trades is made. This period from about Thursday until next Tuesday is basically the busiest the league is all year, so not having the guy in place who you plan to have running things going forward is definitely a detriment. The next GM should be on the draft floor looking into things like moving Ceci, Kulak and maybe even what the cost would be to get someone to eat the Campbell contract instead of the buyout.

I do suspect they’ve already got something in the works, and they’ll announce it Wednesday/Thursday. Especially with Dreger saying that Holland isn’t expected to be at the draft as of now.
They'll have all of the assistant GM's and the rest of the crew there. Assistant GM's often arrange trades. The only thing we lose, is Holland's personal connections.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I don't really care, because the GM of this team usually has a very tight leash. Just as long as they don't have to give up any draft picks to get the person.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah, for sure.

I get the impression that Keith Gretzky doesn't want the position and that's totally fine. He has a pretty sweet gig in Bakersfield and he's doing a pretty good job for the most part.

Interesting point about the "junior" GM role, like they were trying to do with Staios. I know it's early, but I could totally see Sam Gagner being groomed for something like that.
Shawn Horcoff has been doing that role in Detroit for a few years now too. It's interesting how many of the late 90's/early 00's Oilers are becoming big shots around the NHL. Grier in SJ, Staios in Ottawa, Horcoff in Detroit.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah, for sure.

Hmm didn’t think about Gags I mean we were grooming Staios and he’s not that much older than Sam and if win a cup he gets his name it. Do it

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Judging by Hyman’s press conference today it seems like there is a lot of hush hush about management. I wonder if the new hire will come out of left field

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Before Holland is gone. I have to give him some credit. He definitely had a vision for this team. And I think the draft picks of Broberg and Holloway are in line with that vision. As well as the acquisitions of Kulak and Foegele.

We are a speed-built team and we dominate with our speed when at our best. If that was Hollands build he kinda executed and was one game away from it all working and him looking like a genius.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I now have a sneaking suspicion that Jackson is gonna get some blood on his hands before bringing in a new GM. Like buyout Campbell, trade Nurse and maybe others, then hire the new guy later on so they don’t have to make controversial moves as a new hire.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I remember fondly, we had our signing frenzy of things like:

Connor Brown - 4.25m
Ryan McLeod - 2.1m

and shortly after, within days, the news that Staois was potentially leaving us to join Ottawa arose. He was being groomed here to become our GM until Ken Holland made a few horrific signings that were going to significantly impact his ability to do his job next year. Huge wastes of money. Again, no coincidence his decision to go to Ottawa was revealed shortly after -- the official announcement coming in October but the writing on the wall just days after these brutal signings were made. Some of us remember it well.
You avoid the real reason as to why Staios left. He was super-connected to Andlauer and was always going there if he landed a franchise. He was also a safety valve for the oilers if it didn’t happen. When it did it unfolded as expected. Both teams knew that. The guy was wise to feather his nest both ways.

Shouldn’t you be in a different thread worrying about Leon’s girlfriend’s acting career?

PS - welcome to HFOil. you joined in the midst of an epic SC run, but you joined very late. Must have been tied up cheering for some other organization perhaps? PS, do you have water yet in Calgary?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yeah, that's fair.

My main issue is with just thinking that a Jack Campbell buyout is a foregone conclusion.

Why do other teams find creative ways to get rid of contracts and the Oilers are like boom buyout. We've tried nothing and were all out of ideas. Gryba, Neal, Sekera, etc.
The Oilers do get "creative" at times--the problem is when you keep digging a hole, nobody will do you favors. it all basically comes down to a buy-out, a trade with retention, bad contract for bad contract (Lucic for Neal), paying other teams to take on bad contracts, burying the contract, or LTIR.

Shawn Horcoff has been doing that role in Detroit for a few years now too. It's interesting how many of the late 90's/early 00's Oilers are becoming big shots around the NHL. Grier in SJ, Staios in Ottawa, Horcoff in Detroit.
Horcoff as a GM would probably reward Brown with a long-term deal. lol.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I now have a sneaking suspicion that Jackson is gonna get some blood on his hands before bringing in a new GM. Like buyout Campbell, trade Nurse and maybe others, then hire the new guy later on so they don’t have to make controversial moves as a new hire.
We've all heard about Holland's legacy contracts from Detroit fans so it is time for him to go because we can't be giving long term inflated contracts to players that had a dozen good games in the playoffs.

We can't keep all of our UFAs and difficult decisions will have to be made. Some of it will sort itself out when reasonable contract offers are made and they are either accepted or rejected.

Players under contract must be moved and replaced with lower paid players with the expectation of 3 massive 8 year contracts in the works.

There is no room for error.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I don’t want Holland as GM but would love to keep him around in an advisor role. He’s got good connections around the league and in a mentorship role in terms of building an organization, I think he provides ton of value.

As for GM, I have no clue who Jackson and co are targeting. Initially thought Ryan Martin. I can’t see it being Horc but who knows.

Reactions: Hollywood55

Hollywood55

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
I don’t want Holland as GM but would love to keep him around in an advisor role. He’s got good connections around the league and in a mentorship role in terms of building an organization, I think he provides ton of value.

As for GM, I have no clue who Jackson and co are targeting. Initially thought Ryan Martin. I can’t see it being Horc but who knows.
Joking aside I haven't even heard a name for GM. Obviously there was a cup run but still no rumors or names floating around. I guess they don't really need a GM til after the draft though; I don't mind Jackson running things in the interim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad