Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I don’t think Staios would have accepted a gm role if he knew he would likely be President of hockey ops for the Sens should Andlauer become owner.

My guess is that the Oilers reached out about possibly bringing him in as successor to Holland but by that point he knew there was a good chance Andlauer was going to own the Sens and that his preference was that opportunity so he likely told the Oilers he’d accept an advisory position with the Oilers with the understanding that if Andlauer bought the Sens he would likely be moving over there but if that fell through then he’d be open to being considered as a Holland replacement.

As for the next GM of the Oilers, it wouldn’t surprise me to see a name that not many are expecting. I think Jackson is going to be very involved in the roster building/contract negotiation and so the person he selects will be someone he hand picks and will be responsible for managing day to day stuff but won’t be the decision maker. He’ll manage the team and front office put in place by Jackson, who himself will be calling the shots and making the decisions.
I remember fondly, we had our signing frenzy of things like:

Connor Brown - 4.25m
Ryan McLeod - 2.1m

and shortly after, within days, the news that Staois was potentially leaving us to join Ottawa arose. He was being groomed here to become our GM until Ken Holland made a few horrific signings that were going to significantly impact his ability to do his job next year. Huge wastes of money. Again, no coincidence his decision to go to Ottawa was revealed shortly after -- the official announcement coming in October but the writing on the wall just days after these brutal signings were made. Some of us remember it well.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Connor Brown - 4.25m
Ryan McLeod - 2.1m

and shortly after, within days, the news that Staois was potentially leaving us to join Ottawa arose. He was being groomed here to become our GM until Ken Holland made a few horrific signings that were going to significantly impact his ability to do his job next year. Huge wastes of money. Again, no coincidence his decision to go to Ottawa was revealed shortly after -- the official announcement coming in October but the writing on the wall just days after these brutal signings were made. Some of us remember it well.
Well I’ll stick with the assumption that Staios exit is because he’d rather a POHO position with an ownership group he was very close with, rather then a GM position with another team.

But if you want to believe that he didn’t want to be GM of a Cup contender with the best player in the world because he was upset with a couple short term decisions then go right ahead.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Connor Brown - 4.25m
Ryan McLeod - 2.1m

Lol come on. The Sens are one of the biggest shit shows in the NHL.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Lol come on. The Sens are one of the biggest shit shows in the NHL.
They have no bad contracts. Their few core guys are locked up on good deals that are looking like actual steals now with the cap skyrocketing. Young team with a ton of options for a GM. Our team has no space to make moves. Staois can make his mark in Ottawa in a way that he simpy can't now in Edmonton due to the, I can't even count how many millions that are lackadaisacally pissed away. How much are we paying Connor Brown to not play for us this year?

Ottawa is like a blank canvas from which a GM can work.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
They have no bad contracts. Their few core guys are locked up on good deals that are looking like actual steals now with the cap skyrocketing. Young team with a ton of options for a GM. Our team has no space to make moves. Staois can make his mark in Ottawa in a way that he simpy can't now in Edmonton due to the, I can't even count how many millions that are lackadaisacally pissed away. How much are we paying Connor Brown to not play for us this year?

Probably the bottom 2 spots for players to want to go to though, not going to be easy to build a contender. You're right they do have a nice group of signed players but I bet Tkachuk is gone soon.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Chabot says hello.

A blank canvas isn’t always better. They have a young core that’s getting frustrated and so far have only proven that they can’t get the job done.

Tkachuk is clearly near the end of his rope there. With mounting pressure to make the playoffs rebuilding isn’t an option.

It’s far from the roses you seem to think it is there. They are closer to being the Sabres than a playoff team.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I don't think we see a new GM until around mid July.

Jackson will handle all the immediate items, such as Campbell buyout, draft, free agency etc, potentially with some input from Holland.

That is unless Jackson just ends up being the GM full-time. He's clearly pretty hands-on and will be very invested in the contract situations for Drai, Bouch and Connor.
Campbell buyout is such a bad option. Six years while the two years needed to sign Drai and McDavid are cap penalties of around 2.5 million. Crippling.

I'm thinking this except that Holland has too much pride and fire to kick around - and I think he goes back to Detroit to advise Stevie Y.

I have a feeling they have someone lined up who is younger who can grow as McD/Drai grow older, and would allow Jackson to also continue having say.

At first I thought John Ferguson Jr - who was GM when Jeff Jackson was assistant GM in Toronto, but that wouldn't fit what I am saying.

I do wonder about Ryan Hardy, who is with the Leafs - I do wonder about Ryan Martin, who is the NYR assistant GM and tight with Knoblauch. and a bit out of left field but I wonder about Shawn Horcoff.
Why would you want anyone from the Leafs. They do not know how to build a team. Their defense is horrid.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Campbell buyout is such a bad option. Six years while the two years needed to sign Drai and McDavid are cap penalties of around 2.5 million. Crippling.
agreed, there has to be creative ways to get rid of Campbell. Look at what the Sens did with Korpisalo or Kings with Peterson

I'm okay with trying to repair the asset, aka keeping Campbell as a sheltered backup and giving him games according to his performance. I want to see Campbell play in Knob's system before they entertain a buyout

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Ottawa was so capped out this season they couldn’t even afford to sign a promising young player in Pinto.

They were once again basically a bottom 5 team and clearly have some players upset with the direction of the team.

Norris and Chabot contracts are prohibitive.

Gave up a bunch for Chychrun who is unlikely to extend and they’ll likely have to trade him for less value then they paid to acquire. Same as they did with Debrincat.

Their system is quite thin, they have a 7th overall in a weaker draft and just traded their other 1st for Ullmark. Plus they have to hand over their 1st in one of the two next drafts for the Dadonov debacle.

This just makes your reasoning even more laughable, he didn’t want to take over a cup contender because he was mad about a couple short term signings but he doesn’t have a problem taking over a team that’s been a perennial basement dweller/non playoff team which has been plagued by endless examples of poor asset management, has a weak farm system and is light on picks before he even gets in there to start shaping the team how he wants.

Maybe he just wanted a really big challenge instead of being handed the reigns of a cup contender.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
agreed, there has to be creative ways to get rid of Campbell. Look at what the Sens did with Korpisalo or Kings with Peterson

I'm okay with trying to repair the asset, aka keeping Campbell as a sheltered backup and giving him games according to his performance. I want to see Campbell play in Knob's system before they entertain a buyout
This.

I hate the idea of just jumping to a buyout and agree that Jack would be so much better in Coffey/Knoblauch's system.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Agreed.

It's 1.1 this year, but that is being added to Neals 1.9 and Browns 3.5.

That's 6.5 million in dead cap space next year if they buy out Campbell. Then 2.3 million the following year that then goes up to 2.7 million in the McDavid contract year.

You trade what you need to, involve two or three teams if needed. Just be rid of that contract.

If it cant be done before the season, then he can backup at the beginning of the year as you say in the hope he plays well. The Oilers need every dime for next years playoffs/deadline and beyond.

Reactions: foshizzle

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

They probably put Kane on LTIR. Foegele does not get re-signed. The cap goes up a bit. They probably won't be too pressed this year. The year after is a different story.

Lannes

May 5, 2024

Obviously, I have no way of knowing this but I really feel like the players on this team are absolutely done with Campbell and have zero trust left in him. I don't think it was an accident that the team started to get its mojo back once he was jettisoned to the A and that the coaching staff prefered to stick with Pickard rather than entertain the thought of bringing him up.

I don't hold out much hope that there is a trade out there to save the Oil from this contract. I think Campbell is done as an NHL goalie and, once he gets bought out, his next team will be over in Europe.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Obviously, I have no way of knowing this but I really feel like the players on this team are absolutely done with Campbell and have zero trust left in him. I don't think it was an accident that the team started to get its mojo back once he was jettisoned to the A and that the coaching staff prefered to stick with Pickard rather than entertain the thought of bringing him up.

I don't hold out much hope that there is a trade out there to save the Oil from this contract. I think Campbell is done as an NHL goalie and, once he gets bought out, his next team will be over in Europe.
I don't think the players have lost faith in Jack, but I do think that his reactions after bad games were tough to deal with. He gets pretty mopey, while Skinner and Pickard are always so positive win or lose.

Jack's a likeable guy and I'm not entirely convinced he's finished as an NHL goalie. I absolutely hate the idea of a buyout when other teams have been creative with goalies in similar situations.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
This.

I hate the idea of just jumping to a buyout and agree that Jack would be so much better in Coffey/Knoblauch's system.
The issue now though is that they have a starter that only makes $2.6m. Even if Campbell started playing the best hockey of his life again, he's not needed for $5m. The $5m being paid to Campbell is better spent on improving the rest of the roster. The team can and probably should keep their total goalie spend to under $4m for the time being (Skinner's $2.6m and a backup for $1m or so). There's James Neal dead cap of $1.9m for another year, Connor Brown bonus of about $3m carried over - moving on from Campbell (whether via buyout or trade with retained salary) is the more reasonable option to allow roster improvements to be made.

If the cap wasn't such an issue, I'd have time for giving Campbell another run of games to turn it around, but that isn't realistic because even trading Campbell mid-season after a stretch of improved play means we'd probably miss the boat, since we wouldn't have that cap space to spend during the summer when there are tons of players available to sign.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
The issue now though is that they have a starter that only makes $2.6m. Even if Campbell started playing the best hockey of his life again, he's not needed for $5m. The $5m being paid to Campbell is better spent on improving the rest of the roster. The team can and probably should keep their total goalie spend to under $4m for the time being (Skinner's $2.6m and a backup for $1m or so). There's James Neal dead cap of $1.9m for another year, Connor Brown bonus of about $3m carried over - moving on from Campbell (whether via buyout or trade with retained salary) is the more reasonable option to allow roster improvements to be made.

If the cap wasn't such an issue, I'd have time for giving Campbell another run of games to turn it around, but that isn't realistic because even trading Campbell mid-season after a stretch of improved play means we'd probably miss the boat, since we wouldn't have that cap space to spend during the summer when there are tons of players available to sign.
Yeah, that's fair.

My main issue is with just thinking that a Jack Campbell buyout is a foregone conclusion.

Why do other teams find creative ways to get rid of contracts and the Oilers are like boom buyout. We've tried nothing and were all out of ideas. Gryba, Neal, Sekera, etc.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Yeah, that's fair.

My main issue is with just thinking that a Jack Campbell buyout is a foregone conclusion.

Why do other teams find creative ways to get rid of contracts and the Oilers are like boom buyout. We've tried nothing and were all out of ideas. Gryba, Neal, Sekera, etc.
I agree with you there for sure. Assuming we have a new GM, maybe a more creative avenue will be explored.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I honestly thought JJ was running things and Holland was just there as a figurehead until his contract ended.
Yeh this has been said a lot but I don’t quite buy it. Watching the TDL episode of the Drop, Kenny looked to still be driving the bus at the TDL. Jeff Jackson wasn’t very involved, even came late to meeting on what was needed at the TDL. Then when he arrived sat quietly and just observed. When speaking about the team too, JJ gives credit that Holland is still GM.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Is this a "Keith Gretzky is the interim GM" situation?
Keith is by and large responsible for the Bakersfield team and operations. The org probably wants to continue in that manner, at least for the foreseeable future.
If anything, any junior GM / interim spot would got to Holland Jr. if internal names come up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad