News & Notes XLIV: Revenge of the Seth

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
That’s what Ball arena (Avs, Nuggets) here in Denver was called for 20 years until 2020. It was the Pepsi Center and the nickname was “the Can”…..y’all would just be imitators now.

I still call it the Pepsi Center by accident pretty much every time.

Carrier Dome was renamed in May 2022. Over 2 years later I wonder if anyone outside of Syracuse could tell you it's new actual name without looking it up? I certainly can't.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Yes, but have you been to tour the room where we excised the cancer of South Carolina?

(Okay, it's reconstructed. But still).
Where is this? I’m probably the worst New Bern inhabitant ever. I go to like one restaurant (one of the better Mexican places I’ve ever been) and a couple of grocery stores depending upon their Sprite Zero sales. I’ve probably been to more restaurant/bars in Greenville since I started dating my girlfriend 4 months ago than I have in 25+ years of living in NB.

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Where is this? I’m probably the worst New Bern inhabitant ever. I go to like one restaurant (one of the better Mexican places I’ve ever been) and a couple of grocery stores depending upon their Sprite Zero sales. I’ve probably been to more restaurant/bars in Greenville since I started dating my girlfriend 4 months ago than I have in 25+ years of living in NB.
Tryon Palace.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So I went to the Hans Zimmer concert last night (f***ing phenomenal, by the way, if you ever get the chance, absolutely do it) and yeah they're already converting the interior over. The signs under the scoreboard are now Lenovo instead of PNC or WRAL like they were in the past, and you can see 'Center' above the scoreboard where it used to say PNC Arena. (you can clearly see it here, its in the rafters above the ACC Champions banners, as the scoreboard was pulled up for the concert)

GXKwDJua8AA7FLd

Hilarious that EA spoiled this announcement

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
This is just me but I personally like "Arena" better than "Center".

Center sounds like a mall/shopping district. Arena is more of what it is.

Leveno Center however does sound/roll off the tongue better though

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This is just me but I personally like "Arena" better than "Center".

Center sounds like a mall/shopping district. Arena is more of what it is.

Leveno Center however does sound/roll off the tongue better though

If their plans for the surrounding area come to fruition, it's going to be more of a shopping district anyway, so maybe this works out.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Found this interesting, from the Athletic's interview with Bill Daly:

What was the league’s perspective on the Carolina Hurricanes’ deferred salary with Jaccob Slavin and Seth Jarvis? Did that come across your desk?
Oh, yeah. It came across my desk. I’m not going to go to the merits of deferred comp. I will say that deferred comp is specifically contemplated in the CBA and called for in the CBA that contracts can be structured this way.​
There are some things about the cap system that cause some interpretation to have to happen, which we shared with Carolina in advance. We shared with the union in advance as to how we were interpreting the provisions. I’m not saying that I think deferred comp is the greatest mechanism in a system like we have and maybe in the future might be addressed in collective bargaining. But we’re midterm now, so we kind of are where we are.​
The league doesn’t love the idea?
Yeah, it throws out of whack some of the other checks and balances we have in the CBA, which forces interpretations in terms of how we allow it and what’s permissible and what’s not permissible. The original deferred-comp rules were developed in a non-cap world as opposed to in the cap world, so they kind of were inherited, and so they probably need adjustment on some basis going forward.​
Can it get to the point where it becomes cap circumvention?
It can be, sure.​
Is that the fear?
That’s a long-term big-picture fear, I suppose. It’s less a micro-dynamic fear particularly because, as I said, we’ve had to make interpretations which I think will continue to be binding until we renegotiate over it.​

Notably, the provision in the CBA was an inherited one from previous agreements without the cap, so this really is a loophole that just wasn't contemplated when designing the cap. And it does sound like the NHL will try and close it in a future CBA, so I guess we'll see whether we get whacked with a cap hit in year 9 of those deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad