News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
let the Laine for Coconut rumors... begin? resume? I'm not even sure at this point lol.

I get that they had similar seasons from a production perspective last year, but something doesn't feel great about entering the season with Drury as the 2C instead of KK...

Free Necas? Make him a center?

I gotta say, if Necas is allowed to slot in there, the top 6 looks a lot better on paper...

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
let the Laine for Coconut rumors... begin? resume? I'm not even sure at this point lol.
That doesn't really seem to solve much? You replace a C who gets 30-40 points but "plays the right way" for a guy who scores 70 pts but allows 70 against? Pretty much forcing Jarvy as a 2C and then he'd be flanked by Laine & Roslovic? Poor guy would get run ragged covering for them. Or Laine - Necas - Roslovic, that'd be absolute chaos. KK isn't an ideal 2nd liner but he's at times proven capable. I'd rather keep KK for faceoffs, hope he taps into that early season magic he had last year, and help Jarvis transition to C and have Laine on the LW. Trading even a "potentially kinda" top 6 guy for an all offense-no defense W seems like subtracting by addition + subtraction?

Reactions: chaz4hockey

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
That doesn't really seem to solve much? You replace a C who gets 30-40 points but "plays the right way" for a guy who scores 70 pts but allows 70 against? Pretty much forcing Jarvy as a 2C and then he'd be flanked by Laine & Roslovic? Poor guy would get run ragged covering for them. Or Laine - Necas - Roslovic, that'd be absolute chaos. KK isn't an ideal 2nd liner but he's at times proven capable. I'd rather keep KK for faceoffs, hope he taps into that early season magic he had last year, and help Jarvis transition to C and have Laine on the LW. Trading even a "potentially kinda" top 6 guy for an all offense-no defense W seems like subtracting by addition + subtraction?
I believe Laine played a good bit with Roslovic as his C a few years ago.

I agree with you that Necas or Roslovic at C seem highly unlikely. The actually need Kotkaniemi at this point for depth, but also don’t see any which way the Canes acquire Laine without sending Kotkaniemi’s cap back.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It'd be:

Laine - Aho - Jarvis
Svech - Necas - Roslovic

Again, if Necas (or Roslovic) can play center, this is a perfectly respectable and perhaps even very good top 6. But that is a huge gigantic "if" that probably won't come to fruition. I hope it does.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Laine makes what 9.1 for the next 2 years?

f*** that even at 50%. 4.5M for him comes from where? I mean we bridge Jarvis I guess but.... Jarvy deserves more unless we can bridge him for 2 and extend him a year early. IDK.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
It'd be:

Laine - Aho - Jarvis
Svech - Necas - Roslovic

Again, if Necas (or Roslovic) can play center, this is a perfectly respectable and perhaps even very good top 6. But that is a huge gigantic "if" that probably won't come to fruition. I hope it does.
i dont see either playing center, both are bad at it. they are both wingers, who arent good defensively, and arent great FO guys either.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Laine makes what 9.1 for the next 2 years?

f*** that even at 50%. 4.5M for him comes from where? I mean we bridge Jarvis I guess but.... Jarvy deserves more unless we can bridge him for 2 and extend him a year early. IDK.
Sending KK back saves 300k if we get Laine at 4.5m

I would run:
Svech - Aho - Necas
Laine - Jarvis - Roslovic

Jarvis has that Center potential with how he sees the ice.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
what is crazy is if we run a 20 man roster we could fit Laine in with 2 million in retention, Fast on LTIR, and Jarvis at a 1 year 5.5 million deal, with a whopping 25k to spare. use that emergency call up to not count against the cap.

its not feasible but interesting

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Sending KK back saves 300k if we get Laine at 4.5m

I would run:
Svech - Aho - Necas
Laine - Jarvis - Roslovic

Jarvis has that Center potential with how he sees the ice.
Again, that's putting way too much on Jarvis to try and cover Laine & Roslovic's defensive lapses while also trying to learn to be a C at the NHL-level

Also, what significant add are we giving Columbus? ...because they'd be effectively paying KK like $9.3M for 2 years with the cap retention, that doesn't make much sense for them without a huge add and doesn't make sense for us to add

Reactions: Chrispy

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

That was interesting to watch. They both seemed a little annoyed with the interviewer at times, and both seemed to be wanting to be hanging out with their friends more than talking to him. I’m sure I’d feel the same way. Koochie thinks he can be number 1 but knows he has to earn it and seemed a little frustrated he only played one game in the playoffs, as he should be. Not in a bad way, I’m sure it’s fuel for this year.

Orlov definitely thinks Kuzy could still play in the league and says he didn’t know it was coming that he was leaving. Mentioned everyone being disappointed they didn’t go further in the playoffs. I’m really curious to see how he handles being back in the top four this season, as he came to us as an arguably top pair guy. He wasn’t used to playing a quiet third pair role and clearly wanted to impact the game more. I agree with Koochie that Orlov was very good in the playoffs.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I appreciate Tony's 21-22 season here but I'm glad we're moving on and not giving him a "pity" contract.
Outside of the first few weeks of the disaster that was the Orlov-DeAngelo pairing, I thought his 2nd stint with the team was fine. Not the same offensive catalyst he first was, but they didn’t need him to be. He was an ideal 6-7D for last year’s version of the team.

Agree, no room left at the inn now with Walker signed and Morrow next in line. Glad they seemingly are going with a Stillman, Ryan or Ty Smith as their 7D this year.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Outside of the first few weeks of the disaster that was the Orlov-DeAngelo pairing, I thought his 2nd stint with the team was fine. Not the same offensive catalyst he first was, but they didn’t need him to be. He was an ideal 6-7D for last year’s version of the team.

Agree, no room left at the inn now with Walker signed and Morrow next in line. Glad they seemingly are going with a Stillman, Ryan or Ty Smith as their 7D this year.
Heard from some people who would know that Tony burned bridges with the coaches this year. Part of the reason he was flipped for Chatty earlier this year wasn't because of his play, but because he was a complete dick and they just had enough of it.

Was basically outright told that he would not be welcome back with the team anytime soon. That relationship is dead and buried.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Heard from some people who would know that Tony burned bridges with the coaches this year. Part of the reason he was flipped for Chatty earlier this year wasn't because of his play, but because he was a complete dick and they just had enough of it.

Was basically outright told that he would not be welcome back with the team anytime soon. That relationship is dead and buried.
I don’t know if I’m buying that. I could see him chafing at not playing like others have in the past here and that he wanted out like others would and some have (Pesce struggled with his new role under Rod) later in the season.

He was playing awful in that pairing and we were all begging for that pairing to be broken up. Begging. They were a nightmare. I struggle to believe for a second the reason they were broken up was because Tony pissed someone off vs the awful defense that had become indefensible even amongst us.

If he was as bad as you make it sound Rod wouldn’t let him get through the entrance to the rink.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’m shocked he was able to play for the Canes at all if that’s what he was dealing with earlier in the season.

Andersen’s comeback was one thing. Kuznetsov coming off RA medication and able to play at all is miraculous.

See, I have doubts about this story.

If he was dealing with that kind of pain constantly and apparently attempted to tell the Caps medical staff/GM/whoever (and I suppose the Canes as well, though he never mentioned them), why would they ignore him? And the medical staff never noticed that he was self-medicating or only sleeping 2 hours a night? And I don't know much about RA, but to my understanding, it's not something that just "gets better" to the point where you can go off medication for months at a time.

A lot of his statement doesn't really add up.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
See, I have doubts about this story.

If he was dealing with that kind of pain constantly and apparently attempted to tell the Caps medical staff/GM/whoever (and I suppose the Canes as well, though he never mentioned them), why would they ignore him? And the medical staff never noticed that he was self-medicating or only sleeping 2 hours a night? And I don't know much about RA, but to my understanding, it's not something that just "gets better" to the point where you can go off medication for months at a time.

A lot of his statement doesn't really add up.
I tend to agree. Looking back, my skepticism didn't come through at all with the use of "miraculous."

Not to mention that RA would be a legitimate reason to put Kuznetsov on LTIR, which would be an easier way for Washington to deal with that contract.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014

That's a... peculiar turn of events for someone who is reported to be liked well by his teammates.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don’t know if I’m buying that. I could see him chafing at not playing like others have in the past here and that he wanted out like others would and some have (Pesce struggled with his new role under Rod) later in the season.

He was playing awful in that pairing and we were all begging for that pairing to be broken up. Begging. They were a nightmare. I struggle to believe for a second the reason they were broken up was because Tony pissed someone off vs the awful defense that had become indefensible even amongst us.

If he was as bad as you make it sound Rod wouldn’t let him get through the entrance to the rink.
I mean they are people who would absolutely know and I have no reason to doubt what they were saying. I was a little surprised as well

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
because he was a complete dick and they just had enough of it.
1722778037503.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium