News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2024-25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Mike Hoffman is 34 years old and he’s been a shell of his former self for at least a few years.

Palmieri and Lee are at an age where a sudden drop off in productivity could easily happen yet they’re expected to be mid level producers for this squad. While I’m happy that Lou took a flyer on Duclair, that addition is also somewhat of an uncertain wildcard.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed without any serious expectations for the upcoming season. Kind of like it’s been for the prior season.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
EDM certainly is expecting a lot of mid-level work out of a bunch of older guys: Perry, Hoffman, Skinner, Henrique, etc.

Maybe they finally realized that two guys couldn’t make it a winner, diversified their lineup, brought on some veterans, etc. I’m not the biggest EDM fan, but they have enhanced the complexion of their team the past few years and it’s helped them advance deeper.

The isles don’t have those two guys, so they are ‘playing through’ the contracts they have, yet, somehow make the playoffs 5/6 years. Now, if their ‘star’ players can deliver in the post-season w/o Trotz and his leashed 4 line team, maybe things would be different…

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Once upon a time Isles fans were pissed at Lou for not re-upping Lehner.

Lou knew better to keep him on a short leash.

LMAO if the Isles had signed Lehner to a long term deal instead of signing his target in Varly.

Reactions: mm11

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
EDM certainly is expecting a lot of mid-level work out of a bunch of older guys: Perry, Hoffman, Skinner, Henrique, etc.

Maybe they finally realized that two guys couldn’t make it a winner, diversified their lineup, brought on some veterans, etc. I’m not the biggest EDM fan, but they have enhanced the complexion of their team the past few years and it’s helped them advance deeper.

The isles don’t have those two guys, so they are ‘playing through’ the contracts they have, yet, somehow make the playoffs 5/6 years. Now, if their ‘star’ players can deliver in the post-season w/o Trotz and his leashed 4 line team, maybe things would be different…
I think they're doing what Tampa and Toronto did, which is take on cheap veterans who want to stay in the league one more year, and hoping they get some value from them. I don't see it as being strategic, just pragmatic.

Reactions: Throttle

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Once upon a time Isles fans were pissed at Lou for not re-upping Lehner.

Lou knew better to keep him on a short leash.

LMAO if the Isles had signed Lehner to a long term deal instead of signing his target in Varly.
Signing Varlamov was the right move, hell Lou even offered him a 2 year extension but his agent thought he could get a better deal in FA which didn't happen

Also worth noting his last season in Vegas was the first year with MAF and
Lehner had the impossible job of replacing the fan favorite, Vezina winning goal tending, first face of the franchise goalie who took Vegas to the cup final during their inaugural season which was the same as the worst mass shooting in US history which also happened in Vegas. And to top it all off he was playing through a hip injury (and lets be honest was probably given some painkillers/opiates like candy by team doctors and that is something I could go on a LONG rant about but this comment is already long enough)

All we can do is hope he can overcome this demons

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
There's no reason to rehash Lehner at this point. It is known that Lou favored Varlamov all along. He tried to trade for Varly when he was on the Avalanche. When no other goalie was available, he signed Lehner. When Lehner didn't sign his extension with the Isles, Lou signed Varlamov as a free agent.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
There's no reason to rehash Lehner at this point. It is known that Lou favored Varlamov all along. He tried to trade for Varly when he was on the Avalanche. When no other goalie was available, he signed Lehner. When Lehner didn't sign his extension with the Isles, Lou signed Varlamov as a free agent.
It was clear as day too the league knew even after his great season here there were issues which was why Carolina and Calgary passed on him after the Isles didn’t offer him a contract despite badly needing goaltending that offseason

Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
BTW, Lehner did not report for his mandatory medical exam. It’s expected that Vegas explore avenues to terminate his contract.
That’s the point. Lou passed on giving him a long term deal vs feeling pressure to re-up based on his performance. He had red flags all over him and Lou steered clear.

Other teams did not and years later are still dealing with his multiple issues. The Isles did not need to knowingly take that on. If Lehner was on the Isles - the organization would be mocked to another level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad