News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2016-17 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The way the league is trending now is to pay the top guys huge sums of money, then fill in with low cost guys throughout the rest of the lineup. There seems to becoming less and less "middle class" players on the recent cup winning teams. That said, if the cap continues to rise, Edmonton might be able to do it. The issue, I think, is that if they pay too much too early it will handicap them as you mentioned. Chicago paid Toews and Kane after they had already won a cup. If Edmonton has a misstep with one of their signings, it could really be a thorn in their side.

Good news for them is they have a lot of years to try and win if McDavid signs a long term deal and can stay healthy.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Some of the media have subtly started to criticize the Kane/Toews deals as selfish bc it's bc of them they have to annually reshape the roster and let emerging talent go - thus impacting their chances of winning again.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Some of the media have subtly started to criticize the Kane/Toews deals as selfish bc it's bc of them they have to annually reshape the roster and let emerging talent go - thus impacting their chances of winning again.

Funny, cause when they were winning all we heard was how good they were at replenishing talent.

See what happens to the narrative from when you are winning to when you aren't?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
The way the league is trending now is to pay the top guys huge sums of money, then fill in with low cost guys throughout the rest of the lineup. There seems to becoming less and less "middle class" players on the recent cup winning teams. That said, if the cap continues to rise, Edmonton might be able to do it. The issue, I think, is that if they pay too much too early it will handicap them as you mentioned. Chicago paid Toews and Kane after they had already won a cup. If Edmonton has a misstep with one of their signings, it could really be a thorn in their side.

Good news for them is they have a lot of years to try and win if McDavid signs a long term deal and can stay healthy.

Right now the biggest issue is free agency is blegh so mediocre players on the decline end up getting overpaid. If these superstar deals help to limit that, maybe it's for the better. McDavid and Drai both deserve whatever contract they end up with, they're both responsible for getting the Oilers out of the basement.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Just curious if those media people take less money from their employer so that other people can get paid?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The narrative changed when they could no longer afford their replenished talent bc their core is so expensive.

The Hawks are still one of the best teams in the league. They have continually and successfully replenished their replenished talent. And won three cups with Kane/Toews. How can anyone criticize those contracts or their strategy?

And they will be on everyone's top 5 list of teams to win the cup in 2018. 8 years of being an elite team with three championships (and counting). Only the most myopic fan would criticize that.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
The Hawks are still one of the best teams in the league. They have continually and successfully replenished their replenished talent. And won three cups with Kane/Toews. How can anyone criticize those contracts or their strategy?

And they will be on everyone's top 5 list of teams to win the cup in 2018. 8 years of being an elite team with three championships (and counting). Only the most myopic fan would criticize that.

'I' wasn't criticizing - rather passing along the industry (media mostly) critique of how those contracts are impacting their player retention.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Well looks like Lack is off the table for a back up if we trade Halak.

Currently own the first rounder of a team with a Mike Smith/Eddie Lack goaltending tandem...

Still think that defense is gonna win some games but boy. If Duchene is truly off the table I really wanna keep that Calgary lottery ticket in my back pocket.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Currently own the first rounder of a team with a Mike Smith/Eddie Lack goaltending tandem...

Still think that defense is gonna win some games but boy. If Duchene is truly off the table I really wanna keep that Calgary lottery ticket in my back pocket.

Their defense is going to be lethal, but will have to question their durability.

While I don't think they will have an overly high pick, I don't envision them being a lock for the post season either.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

The Flames goaltending is still awful.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Flyers are allegedly looking at Brian Elliott to replace Steve Mason. I don't know about any of you guys but it always seemed like Mason stood on his head against us and I hope he ends up in the Western Conference.

Brian Elliott, on the other hand....:biglaugh:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Flyers are allegedly looking at Brian Elliott to replace Steve Mason. I don't know about any of you guys but it always seemed like Mason stood on his head against us and I hope he ends up in the Western Conference.

Brian Elliott, on the other hand....:biglaugh:

Every time they bring in a goalie those fans go absolutely nuts over them saying that they've finally fixed their goalie issue. Then in a year or two the pitchforks come out.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Every time they bring in a goalie those fans go absolutely nuts over them saying that they've finally fixed their goalie issue. Then in a year or two the pitchforks come out.

And if that goalie has 1 good year it's like he's the second coming of Bernie Parent. Like Roman Cechmanek, Ilya Bryzgalof, Antero Nittymaki,.....I could go on and on.

Part of the problem is the Flyers defense hasn't been solid in a long time. The other problem is some of their goalies have been 1 year wonders.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And if that goalie has 1 good year it's like he's the second coming of Bernie Parent. Like Roman Cechmanek, Ilya Bryzgalof, Antero Nittymaki,.....I could go on and on.

Part of the problem is the Flyers defense hasn't been solid in a long time. The other problem is some of their goalies have been 1 year wonders.

They were singing Mason's praises, then they were singing Neuvirth's because Mason stinks. I play hockey with a bunch of Flyers fans and there is no reasoning with them about their goaltenders. I wonder which failure they'll cling to next...

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Patrick Marleau to the Maple Leafs. Signs a 3 year, $18.75M deal. AAV of $6.25M. Full no movement clause. Will be 38 years old when the contract expires.
http://www.tsn.ca/veteran-forward-marleau-signs-with-maple-leafs-1.795020

This should make JVR expendable.

I would take JVR for a second rounder and just strengthen the top-6, while waiting out the center situation if need be. Of course that would probably necessitate moving Kulemin or another forward, just to make all of the numbers work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad