News and Notes Thread 10: Where all media bias gets beaten to death

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Lines at practice:

Tlusty // Staal // Semin
Gerbe // Nash // Lindholm
Skinner // Rask // Nestrasil
Boychuk // McClement // Dwyer

Defense MIA (only thing I saw is Bellemore DNP)

This is via Mike Smith, because Chip has more important things to tell the world

Chip Alexander
Pat Dwyer says while players will have their Thanksgiving dinner in Pittsburgh, Canes' wives will gather at his house for their turkey.

Anyway, new lines, again. I found this Darcy Tucker story on Pat Quinn kinda relevant to what's going on in Carolina right now:

Hope_Smoke
Tucker "we were a collection of guys that didn't all play the same way, so if we had a line that was physical he let us be physical and...

Hope_Smoke
Tucker "... if we crossed the line he didn't bench us or put us in a situation where we couldn't be successful"

Hope_Smoke
Tucker "As a coach you wanted to give your players the tools and where with all to be effective and he gave that to us."

Hope_Smoker
Tucker "He gave us confidence and allowed us to be who we were on the ice."

If Pat Quinn can do it, surely Bill Peters can do it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think there's a difference there.

First, it's apparently just Semin that's not buying into what Peters is selling. If it were multiple guys that appeared directionless and ineffective, then yeah, I'd be more willing to say "Let them sort themselves out." But when it's 25 guys going one way and one guy going the other, I wouldn't say Peters' coaching tactics are the issue in that case.

Second, Semin's situation isn't a case akin to "Being too physical and crossing the line." It's not Semin doing what the coach asks, but going too far with it. If we're going to use Tucker's situation, it'd be like Quinn allowing Tucker to play his game and be physical...and then Tucker goes multiple games without so much as the slightest contact with an opposing player.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Because that's exactly what I said.

I knew you were going to say that, in fact, almost put it into my post. :laugh: You aren't coming right out and saying that, but your numerous posts on this topic surely are implying that. Maybe you aren't intending it, or maybe you don't even realize it, but that's the way it's coming across.

Anyhow, I was just having a little fun with you.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I hope Peters gets the lines "kinda" set now. I was ok with him tinkering so much earlier in the season to see what works and what doesn't, but we're 20%+ of the way into the season and I feel he needs to get some stability in the lines. I'm not saying "no changes", but I can't see how continues wholesale changes will be beneficial.

At some point, guys have to be able to play their way through rough stretches, as every player has them.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 40s41 seconds ago
Was asking today about pronunciation of Nastrasil. John-Michael Liles said, "Just call him Nasty." Well OK then.

Excellence in beat reporting #Nastrasil

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ Reminds me of the time he tweeted like three times in a row about former CBJ GM Scott "Howsam".

I hope Peters gets the lines "kinda" set now. I was ok with him tinkering so much earlier in the season to see what works and what doesn't, but we're 20%+ of the way into the season and I feel he needs to get some stability in the lines. I'm not saying "no changes", but I can't see how continues wholesale changes will be beneficial.

It was sorta about Semin and the "benching" quote, but more about this. I think he's still unsure where a lot of guys fit. I think part of that has to do with not having the type of team he wants, but at the same time, it's not easy to overhaul a collection of 12 players, so he has to work with what he's got. The time for experimentation is kinda over, and IMO he should stick with mostly the same lines for 5-8 games and see what happens. If the answer is still "nothing good", then maybe Francis makes a move. But at least we'd be able to rule out "no stability" in the list of reasons.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The time for experimentation is kinda over, and IMO he should stick with mostly the same lines for 5-8 games and see what happens. If the answer is still "nothing good", then maybe Francis makes a move. But at least we'd be able to rule out "no stability" in the list of reasons.

Yeah, that's where I'm at also.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If the organization is building for the future (as Francis sort of implied in the offseason), I don't have an issue with the line switching game from game. I'd rather have Peters figure out what he has now - what works, what doesn't, who works well with whom - this year, so that he has a "control" to work with next year.

EDIT: That being said, sticking with the same lines for more than 1 game will likely help him figure out if it works or doesn't work.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
If the organization is building for the future (as Francis sort of implied in the offseason), I don't have an issue with the line switching game from game. I'd rather have Peters figure out what he has now - what works, what doesn't, who works well with whom - this year, so that he has a "control" to work with next year.

EDIT: That being said, sticking with the same lines for more than 1 game will likely help him figure out if it works or doesn't work.

The problem of course being that one game is not enough to determine what works or what doesn't work.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
The problem of course being that one game is not enough to determine what works or what doesn't work.

Yet if he decided to keep lines together that aren't producing positive results immediately, he's potentially (in his perspective) throwing away points that could be had if he does mix the lines up.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Perhaps, Peters just isn't going to be a role out the same lines in all situations every game no matter what kind of guy. If one player looks sharp, and he wants to get them more minutes, why not bump him up?

If the score or a matchup makes him think a change could be more effective, why not make the switch?

Static lines is certainly one way to do things, but it hardly seems like a requirement for success. It just seems like a concept fans are comfortable with based on not too much.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
No lines will ever be static in the NHL. Of course game situations, injuries, slumps, etc... require that any coach adapt to the situation. That said, IMO, there has to be "some" level of stability though because guys get used to playing with one another and develop chemistry. If what he's had in practice is what he's going with, then I think those are pretty solid to keep together for a few games. Maybe you tweak a winger or two here and there, but not wholesale type changes.

Tlusty // Staal // Semin
Gerbe // Nash // Lindholm
Skinner // Rask // Nestrasil
Boychuk // McClement // Dwyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad