News and Notes Thread 10: Where all media bias gets beaten to death

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Depends. I've done a bit of editing, and one of the things I've been told is that you don't want to edit the author's writing style out of their own work. Basically, you can't rewrite the article for them to fix your stylistic guidelines.

I would have definitely turned some of Mikes' commas into periods, but I haven't read much of his work. Is that "stream of consciousness" writing something he does often?

If so, it may just be his writing style. It's not exactly wrong, but it's a bit jarring to read.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I don't read much of it either, so I couldn't comment on that. But I can see "keeping the style" making a lot of sense for everyone.

Jarring indeed, though. I know he's more of a radio personality than a writer, and people read him because it's him, but WRAL isn't exactly a small company. It'd be nice if they had a dedicated web writer that doesn't put out what was basically a list of things. They may, but I only ever see stuff from him and Adam Gold get posted from their Twitter.

I'm definitely not flawless either, but I'm more of a fan of the newspaper style than the blog-style with bolded paragraph headings like that.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Everyone's entitled to their opinions and anyone can find a place to write one out if they want. The trouble lies with those that read things, believe it for some reason, circulate it further and perpetuate something that is merely an opinion, baring no resemblance to reality in many cases. The reader has to be able to differentiated the difference and acknowledge that these things are just opinions for the most part.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
They have to sell that message to the dullards with cash though so they don't have to start selling things like the jacuzzi, the massage table and the bus.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It is indeed troublesome when our beat writer, Chip Alexander, and our main radio figures, Adam Gold and Mike Maniscalco, are really, really terrible at their jobs. Chip's writing is poor and his knowledge of hockey is much, much less than my own. I think that's the big problem. Shouldn't the main news gurus know more about hockey than nearly all hardcore fans? I don't watch a single non-Canes game but I still feel that I know more about the sport than Chip. I actually like Luke DeCock's writing quite a bit and I think Joe Giglio is one of the best sports writers.

Now Forslund is clearly phenomenal at his role and knows far, far more about hockey than I ever will. Same with Kaiton. As much crap as we give him, I think Tracy is also a very smart guy with a keen hockey sense. He says stupid phrases and is a full-on homer, but these are pretty normal warts for the color commentary guy. But my point is, are all sports writers/radio figures as bad as they are in Carolina? I hardly skim through Alexander's articles anymore.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Near as I can tell, it's the same as any other job. There are people that have a lot of passion for what they do and there are people that treat it as just another job.

IIRC, Chip covered the Wolfpack before becoming the Canes beat writer. I get the feeling that he was never a big hockey guy.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
#cmpforbeatwriter

i will bring grit and passion to the job but also skill and lots of hockeyz knowledge

also my condescending *******y but kinda charming attitude will get teh viewz

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
#cmpforbeatwriter

i will bring grit and passion to the job but also skill and lots of hockeyz knowledge

I'll drop the gloves in practice to take the spot from you. I also promise not to trash Semin unless I'm also trashing Eric Staal in the process :laugh:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
#cmpforbeatwriter

As a condescending, yet charming ******* with a few years on you, I don't think you'll make the jump from blogger to writer yet. Give yourself a few more years to knock off some of the cynicism and I think you'd be a solid writer.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
As a condescending, yet charming ******* with a few years on you, I don't think you'll make the jump from blogger to writer yet. Give yourself a few more years to knock off some of the cynicism and I think you'd be a solid writer.

You can be a cynic and a writer. Just ask Luke.

Then again, I liked him a lot better before he became more jaded than every HF Canes poster combined.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
His article today was titled "Small crowd, big win for Hurricanes". That was also the order of importance in which he discussed things. The game was secondary.

Actually, the game is pretty much an afterthought: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/12...ll-crowd-big-win-for.html?sp=/99/103/127/260/

He got paid to go to the game and write that. He used one throwaway quote from Eric Staal otherwise he could have just looked at the boxscore and written the exact same column.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
His article today was titled "Small crowd, big win for Hurricanes". That was also the order of importance in which he discussed things. The game was secondary.

Actually, the game is pretty much an afterthought: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/12...ll-crowd-big-win-for.html?sp=/99/103/127/260/

He got paid to go to the game and write that. He used one throwaway quote from Eric Staal otherwise he could have just looked at the boxscore and written the exact same column.

It's an important story, is it not? Isn't that what journalists are supposed to do? I dislike the guys general writing about the team, but having under 10k for a game is a MUCH bigger deal than the Canes beating the Predators.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Joe: I don't even think it's the first time this year, is it? It's like writing a column, now, about how Semin is struggling. We know. I'm not asking Luke to write some fluff piece that's basically the box score in word form, but there's plenty of other stories to write about that actually pertain to what's happening on the ice. He could have written that attendance column pretty much any time. It's an off-day piece, not a primary story. Surely it couldn't have taken more than 20 minutes to compose.

Hank: Yeah, but Luke didn't even pull quotes, which is a big reason why writers physically go to the games, as I'm sure you know. I just expect better coverage than what we get most of the time.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
IIRC, Chip covered the Wolfpack before becoming the Canes beat writer. I get the feeling that he was never a big hockey guy.
Correct. Don't you remember the moronic misstep Chip took in his first post after the announcement? He basically said he doesn't know hockey like Luke but Luke doesn't know the ACC & NCSU like him.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I used to be able to tolerate Luke, but it's like he's the nerdy kid trying to fit in with the "cool" kids now and it's nauseating. A game of who can out-hipster who. Now that I think about it, maybe CMP really would fit in :sarcasm:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If that's the company that populated the yahoo Fantasy Football game recaps they've got a ton of tweaking to do yet.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
To be fair to Luke, if Chip was doing the game recap, he took one of the other major stories of the night. Last night, there was Ward, the attendance, and maybe Liles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad