Value of: New Jersey Devils Players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
How untouchable is Hischier? And who would give a bigger return right now, him or Mercer? Is that an option at all, to keep Mercer and trade Hischier?

I don’t see the wisdom in trading any one of the top-3 centers—especially given how fickle both Jack and Nico have been injury-wise. I’d tack Mercer onto my untouchable list, unless we’re talking someone like Matthew Tkachuk or Timo Meier.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
How untouchable is Hischier? And who would give a bigger return right now, him or Mercer? Is that an option at all, to keep Mercer and trade Hischier?

I don’t see Nico going anywhere, with him being the captain of our team and all. The point of moving Mercer over Hischier is to add more cap while the other team conserves more cap, making it easier for that other team to resign their main players… Calgary in this present case would resign Gaudreau, Mangiapane, etc while adding a stud in the making in Dawson Mercer, who’s cost controlled for several years and gives them the immediate help they need down the middle.

We on the other hand would be adding the legit power forward we desperately need in our top #6, who also fits the age group of our current core. I honestly see this move as a win/win for both sides… but that all depends on if Calgary prefers to keep Gaudreau over Tkatchuk. If that’s not the case, then this whole thing is for nothing.

Last edited:

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Blues need a strong defensive minded LH D.. we have Husso who is currently outplaying Binnington. Can add if value is good enough.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
i am not so sure here.

the devils will miss the playoffs this season and are no lock for next year. graves contract is up in 2023 and resigning him is not a given from both sides. organizationally lhd is a position of strength:
graves
siegenthaler
smith
white

l. hughes
mukhamadullin
okhotyuk
misyul
bahl
vukojevice
vilen
edwards

so there are ways to replace graves internally and i could see him used to improve for an organizational weakness (cough rhd). even retention is in play, if a contender is willing to do a coleman 2.0 trade.

may which point my view is that it’s not worth it for the acquiring team. He’s not worth a mid first and a top prospect but if someone wants to pony that up then sure.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
may which point my view is that it’s not worth it for the acquiring team. He’s not worth a mid first and a top prospect but if someone wants to pony that up then sure.
i agree and we are mostly on the same page. he is just not unavailable.

the devils have no urgency to trade him and if offered the same return for smith and graves, i would trade smith before graves.

Reactions: My3Sons

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's not going anywhere, doesn't matter if he's deemed untouchable or not, they aren't trading him
Perhaps, but that doesn't mean he should be untouchable.

People thought he'd come in and strengthen our team's defensive game, but anyone who knew anything about Hamilton knew he was never going to be the solution for that.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Do the Devils anyone close to retirement? Parise, Greene and Palmieri need another former teammate.
Happy to help you. Subban is the closest one. After him our other guys are too young for you.

The Devils can sell Subban to the Islanders for a first round pick. Former Norris trophy winner, plays better hockey than ever before. I know, it's too generous, but I'm here to help you.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Happy to help you. Subban is the closest one. After him our other guys are too young for you.

The Devils can sell Subban to the Islanders for a first round pick. Former Norris trophy winner, plays better hockey than ever before. I know, it's too generous, but I'm here to help you.
The Islanders already have enough guys who make defensive mistakes. Plus PK isn’t old enough.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Would Graves be available and what would you want for him? Even if it's a reasonable overpayment, indulge us. We are basically theorizing any option that we think could give us an upgrade and fit our cap structure, and figuring out what it could cost.

My3Sons

Sponsor

People thought he'd come in and strengthen our team's defensive game, but anyone who knew anything about Hamilton knew he was never going to be the solution for that.

As a thought exercise, sure. In reality you don't look to move a guy who just signed a UFA deal with term.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
As a thought exercise, sure. In reality you don't look to move a guy who just signed a UFA deal with term.
I think you have to consider it if it makes the team better.

Building a team through UFA doesn't usually work, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the risk of scaring away future UFAs.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think you have to consider it if it makes the team better.

Building a team through UFA doesn't usually work, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the risk of scaring away future UFAs.

That's not realistic to me. If NJ signed a big ticket UFA they obviously felt that route can work on some level. When was the last time any team signed a UFA for more than two years and traded him in the first year? Those guys are not only hard to move but it's just bad form.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Chara and Subban out together? I really can’t imagine them catching anyone even with PK doing all the useless extra turns/twists/head shimmy’s.
that's a great tag team. pk instigating fights with his slew foots and chara rag dolling the opposition.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

I didn't see one poster on our board who thought Dougie Hamilton was the answer to our defensive lapses. If that's the case, those people probably never saw him play a single second of hockey. If you're racking up close to a PPG as a dman and you're rock solid in your own zone... you're not hitting the market and you're not signing for a team who finished 4th last.

We did get a free asset that will help our transition game and our PP for nothing but cash. God knows Severson wasn't the answer so I see absolutely no reason to complain about adding Hamilton on our roster. What we need to do is find him a reliable partner to work with and Graves has done a pretty bang up job so far.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Would Graves be available and what would you want for him? Even if it's a reasonable overpayment, indulge us. We are basically theorizing any option that we think could give us an upgrade and fit our cap structure, and figuring out what it could cost.
Unlikely to be available, we just gave up a 2nd and prospect for him and he fills a dire need. You would have to give up either a 1st or multiple 2nds to get NJ to think about it.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I didn't see one poster on our board who thought Dougie Hamilton was the answer to our defensive lapses. If that's the case, those people probably never saw him play a single second of hockey. If you're racking up close to a PPG as a dman and you're rock solid in your own zone... you're not hitting the market and you're not signing for a team who finished 4th last.

We did get a free asset that will help our transition game and our PP for nothing but cash. God knows Severson wasn't the answer so I see absolutely no reason to complain about adding Hamilton on our roster. What we need to do is find him a reliable partner to work with and Graves has done a pretty bang up job so far.
Chychrun

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'd entertain trading Smith whenever his stock rises from here.

Luke Hughes changes the outlook. Mukhamadullin, let alone another LHD, hitting would make it an even more obvious move. Then you add in the commitment to Hamilton and I'd much rather the team cultivate some defensive prowess.

I'd need to see some major major defensive progress from Smith to change my take here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad