Value of: New Jersey Devils Players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I know he's probably not available. But what would the ask for Graves be if he becomes available?

hes become the LD1 for NJ and is playing well. It’s not someone you trade for a lesser piece and a pick if you aren’t facing an expansion draft. At this point NJ doesn’t need middling picks since they are actually trying to become competitive. Whatever the price is right now would not be worth it to the acquiring team.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
All of us Devs fans are frustrated right now. AZ was icing on the cake. But to throw away the strides they have made is not productive. Building on the personal (not team) achievements last year has stalled. Graves/Hamilton is a good pairing, I would not touch it. Severson and Siegentaler look good, but what does Damon want to do? Is he here to see this through or does he want greener pastures? I would try and get Chychrun TBH. AZ needs bodies, they have picks out the wazoo. RW and D are areas they need to consider. Smith, Zacha, and any combo of prospects, '23 first top 3 protected if possible, add a pick if that happens. Holtz/Mercer would may be tough to give up though. Your D would be set for years. Grab a FA sniper in Gaudreau/Forsberg similar. Blackwood is concerning though, and I am a big defender of hos but 3 goals on 8 shots to the worse team in the league. Not all were his fault but c'mon. They have a ton of depth (Bastian, Mcleod etc chew up good mins). Its time for Lindy to be excused get a Gronberg or similar find a 1B backup, Blackwood has a show me year and if not move on. Its getting hard waiting for this team to take the next step though

walkedpast

Mar 7, 2021
Almost everyone should be available, the only players I'd say are untouchable are Hughes x2, Hischier, Bratt, Mercer and Hamilton.

Looking for values on players from potential UFA's all the way to prospects like Holtz, feel free to make an offer that you believe to be fair value.

Greatest needs are scoring wingers, RHD and a goalie that can stop pucks
Nobody needs Hischier. He is bust.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Everyone knows I love Dawson Mercer but if he can be packaged in order to land someone in the mold of a Matthew Tkatchuk, I’d do it. If we can also managed to add Monahan, so he can cover for Mercer as our 3rd line center, also allowing Calgary to resign their key free agents, it would definitely be an offer that would have me thinking.

Something along the lines of…

Tkatchuk + Monahan
For
Mercer + Tatar + Bahl + 2nd round pick

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
"Devils would consider an offer for Drai, as long as Jack isn't part of the ask"

Hahahahahahaha
I did wrote that Edmonton wouldn't do it. I am fully aware of that.

Purely from a Devils perspective I am not giving up on 8 years of Hughes for 3 years of Drai. The 5 additional years of term and what Hughes showed so far, would make him untouchable. His peak has a better chance to align with the Devils contention window.

Reactions: HBK27

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Edmonton wouldn't even think of trading Drai for less than Hughes.
I don't imagine even Nico, Blackwood plus Smith would make them even think
I know. I didn't try to make a trade proposal for Drai. I tried to explain my reduction of the untouchables list to only Hughes. Drai was just there to explain my point, as his prodution and contract makes him one of the (or even THE) most desirable players in the NHL. The Devils are just not contending yet, therefore betting on Hughes potential makes more sense.

Reactions: egelband

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Koskinen + 2022 2nd Pick + one of Edmonton's prospects (not Broberg/Holloway/Bourgalt) for Blackwood
or
Koskinen + 2023 1st Pick (lotto protected) for Blackwood

Devils fans would know their needs better but Edmonton has some promising big hard hitting LHD like Samorukov or Niemelainen, both have NHL potential but neither has much offensive upside.
They also have some solid winger prospects like Savoie who is one of the best players in the NCAA this year. Lavoie is a 6'4" goalscoring winger in the AHL who struggled early in the season but has been hot as of late.
I'd say one of these guys + 2nd is more valuable, but I wouldn't blame them if they preferred a first.

The Oilers swap Koskinen for Blackwood. Even though Koskinen has been the better goaltender thus far, the hope is at Blackwoods age is that he could bounce back and become a starter. Koskinen gives the Devils a stopgap goaltender to finish this year out while they retool for next season.
Goalie is one of the biggest needs and the pipeline is pretty weak. Goalie take 5+ years to develope. So if there wasn't another move (trade or FA signing) to replace or improve on Blackwood, this would be a huge set back. The help of the first round pick would come late.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Only untouchables should be both Hughes and hischier. Maybe Blackwood if devils believe he is the guy. Everyone else including Hamilton and mercer and bratt should be available for the right offers
Bruh have you seen Blackwood play? Dude is so bad we need a new starter NOW. Blackwood is the last thing from being untouchable.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
hes become the LD1 for NJ and is playing well. It’s not someone you trade for a lesser piece and a pick if you aren’t facing an expansion draft. At this point NJ doesn’t need middling picks since they are actually trying to become competitive. Whatever the price is right now would not be worth it to the acquiring team.
i am not so sure here.

the devils will miss the playoffs this season and are no lock for next year. graves contract is up in 2023 and resigning him is not a given from both sides. organizationally lhd is a position of strength:
graves
siegenthaler
smith
white

l. hughes
mukhamadullin
okhotyuk
misyul
bahl
vukojevice
vilen
edwards

so there are ways to replace graves internally and i could see him used to improve for an organizational weakness (cough rhd). even retention is in play, if a contender is willing to do a coleman 2.0 trade.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Wood is a terrific player. I doubt the Devils would send him to the Rangers but he’s very much what they need, I think. What is his injury situation?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Bruh have you seen Blackwood play? Dude is so bad we need a new starter NOW. Blackwood is the last thing from being untouchable.
check out NHL and WHA Draft History at Hockeydb.com and look at the goalies playing in the nhl per draft year. blackwood is still in the development phase. he just has to do it with the pressure of being a nhl starting goaltender. just because you don't understand the trajectory of nhl goalie development is no reason to throw him under the bus on the main board. there are reasons, there are so many 30+ goaltenders in the league.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
OK. I have seen a bunch of Devils fans peddling Blackwood and talk about his struggles so thought they might be ready to move on.
move on would be fine, if there was an alternative. but there isn't. blackwood plays back to backs. blackwood plays hurt and injured. the lack of a viable back up (crawford retiring after signing with nj / bernier's hip checking out) is probably the main reason blackwood is looking bad on so many occasions. not stopping a fully screened shot is now for some fans a proof, that blackwood isn't the potential solution in the net. :loony:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Wood is a terrific player. I doubt the Devils would send him to the Rangers but he’s very much what they need, I think. What is his injury situation?
week to week
or
month to month
or
year to year

he could be dead already and the devils wouldn't communicate it.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I would almost include Mercer if the return is amazing. Depends on how they want to use him. It almost seems like a waste to keep him at 3c . For now it’s great as he needs to get more used to playing in the NHL but eventually , it will seem like he will be getting robbed of some deserved icetime if he is the #3 C .
I’d like to see him at wing as we have virtually one winger that can produce right now (Bratt) . If there is no plan on thinking of trying him on wing, I’d look into offers.
Only thing is… he is one of a very few players we have that is skilled plus can play a somewhat hard nosed game ( nothing amazing but he at least drives the net occasionally) .
Same with Holtz. We have zero players that are shoot first type players that have a shot that can actually beat NHL goalies from distance. We have zero PP threats. Holtz is / should be one .
I still don’t know why you think our team only needs two centers or that playing Mercer at a more valuable position is robbing him of something.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Wood has started skating but he’s months away. Since he won’t be back until after the trade deadline (if he successfully rehabs without setbacks) I doubt he gets traded.

Reactions: egelband

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I still don’t know why you think our team only needs two centers or that playing Mercer at a more valuable position is robbing him of something.

Because, as good as Mercer is, we need legit help on the wings in our top #6 over a 3rd line center. We’re not going anywhere with bums like Sharangovich, Tatar and Zacha alongside Jack or Nico.

I’ve been hyping Dawson Mercer before we even drafted him but if we can package him in order to fetch us Matthew Tkatchuk, that’s a deal I’d make. That would be about the only realistic option I’d consider trading Mercer for, just so you know.

In an ideal world, I’d package our 1st, prospects, Smith, etc but I don’t see Calgary being interested in a multiple collection of question marks when they’re looking to win now according to all the moves and signings they’ve made over the past couple of years.

Last edited:

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Because, as good as Mercer is, we need legit help on the wings in our top #6 over a 3rd line center. We’re not going anywhere with bums like Sharangovich, Tatar and Zacha alongside Jack or Nico.

I’ve been hyping Dawson Mercer before we even drafted him but if we can package him in order to fetch us Matthew Tkatchuk, that’s a deal I’d make. That would be about the only realistic option I’d consider trading Mercer for, just so you know.

In an ideal world, I’d package our 1st, prospects, Smith, etc but I don’t see Calgary being interested in a multiple collection of question marks when they’re looking to win now according to all the moves and signings they’ve made over the past couple of years.
How untouchable is Hischier? And who would give a bigger return right now, him or Mercer? Is that an option at all, to keep Mercer and trade Hischier?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad