Value of: New Jersey Devils Players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Almost everyone should be available, the only players I'd say are untouchable are Hughes x2, Hischier, Bratt, Mercer and Hamilton.

Looking for values on players from potential UFA's all the way to prospects like Holtz, feel free to make an offer that you believe to be fair value.

Greatest needs are scoring wingers, RHD and a goalie that can stop pucks

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I would almost include Mercer if the return is amazing. Depends on how they want to use him. It almost seems like a waste to keep him at 3c . For now it’s great as he needs to get more used to playing in the NHL but eventually , it will seem like he will be getting robbed of some deserved icetime if he is the #3 C .
I’d like to see him at wing as we have virtually one winger that can produce right now (Bratt) . If there is no plan on thinking of trying him on wing, I’d look into offers.
Only thing is… he is one of a very few players we have that is skilled plus can play a somewhat hard nosed game ( nothing amazing but he at least drives the net occasionally) .
Same with Holtz. We have zero players that are shoot first type players that have a shot that can actually beat NHL goalies from distance. We have zero PP threats. Holtz is / should be one .

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I would almost include Mercer if the return is amazing. Depends on how they want to use him. It almost seems like a waste to keep him at 3c . For now it’s great as he needs to get more used to playing in the NHL but eventually , it will seem like he will be getting robbed of some deserved icetime if he is the #3 C .
I’d like to see him at wing as we have virtually one winger that can produce right now (Bratt) . If there is no plan on thinking of trying him on wing, I’d look into offers.
Only thing is… he is one of a very few players we have that is skilled plus can play a somewhat hard nosed game ( nothing amazing but he at least drives the net occasionally) .
Same with Holtz. We have zero players that are shoot first type players that have a shot that can actually beat NHL goalies from distance. We have zero PP threats. Holtz is / should be one .

I debated leaving Mercer off the untouchable list, as I think he's borderline but it would have to be in a trade for a player nobody thought would be available. I do agree they should at least try him at wing for a few games, I think they've only done it once

Holtz has been repeatedly put in position to fail at an NHL level, I think he's a legit scoring threat even vs NHL goaltending, but the Devils seem to want to keep him down and when they've brought him up he's almost always playing a 4th line shift and the last 30 seconds of the powerplay, if they want him to succeed they can't keep doing this. Give him a chance in the top 6 with Jack or Nico , if they don't they need to move him before he loses all his value like Zacha.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Only untouchables should be both Hughes and hischier. Maybe Blackwood if devils believe he is the guy. Everyone else including Hamilton and mercer and bratt should be available for the right offers

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Only untouchables should be both Hughes and hischier. Maybe Blackwood if devils believe he is the guy. Everyone else including Hamilton and mercer and bratt should be available for the right offers

They aren't trading their prized free agent signing in Hamilton, Bratt is much more valuable to the Devils than to any other team, and Mercer is borderline, I threw him on the list but could be persuaded in moving him too, as for Blackwood, he absolutely should be available if someone wants to give up something decent for him. None of the players that are available should be given away but traded for upgrades if possible.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I would go even further. Only untouchable is J. Hughes.

All others could be had for the right offer. But the ones mentioned by OP only in packages for a more valuable individual asset. Save us the time with offers of lesser pieces (level of play, talent, injury or contract situation). Obviously Edmonton wouldn't wouldn't offer Drai for Hischier + +, but the Devils would consider an offer for Drai, as long as Jack isn't part of the ask.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

All others could be had for the right offer. But the ones mentioned by OP only in packages for a more valuable individual asset. Save us the time with offers of lesser pieces (level of play, talent, injury or contract situation). Obviously Edmonton wouldn't wouldn't offer Drai for Hischier + +, but the Devils would consider an offer for Drai, as long as Jack isn't part of the ask.
"Devils would consider an offer for Drai, as long as Jack isn't part of the ask"

Hahahahahahaha

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Edmonton wouldn't even think of trading Drai for less than Hughes.
I don't imagine even Nico, Blackwood plus Smith would make them even think

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Koskinen + 2022 2nd Pick + one of Edmonton's prospects (not Broberg/Holloway/Bourgalt) for Blackwood
or
Koskinen + 2023 1st Pick (lotto protected) for Blackwood

Devils fans would know their needs better but Edmonton has some promising big hard hitting LHD like Samorukov or Niemelainen, both have NHL potential but neither has much offensive upside.
They also have some solid winger prospects like Savoie who is one of the best players in the NCAA this year. Lavoie is a 6'4" goalscoring winger in the AHL who struggled early in the season but has been hot as of late.
I'd say one of these guys + 2nd is more valuable, but I wouldn't blame them if they preferred a first.

The Oilers swap Koskinen for Blackwood. Even though Koskinen has been the better goaltender thus far, the hope is at Blackwoods age is that he could bounce back and become a starter. Koskinen gives the Devils a stopgap goaltender to finish this year out while they retool for next season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
They aren't trading their prized free agent signing in Hamilton, Bratt is much more valuable to the Devils than to any other team, and Mercer is borderline, I threw him on the list but could be persuaded in moving him too, as for Blackwood, he absolutely should be available if someone wants to give up something decent for him. None of the players that are available should be given away but traded for upgrades if possible.
Hamilton should definitely not be untouchable. Dude can't play defense, which, if you haven't noticed, is a pretty big issue for us.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Hughes could be included, they still don't consider it in the slightest

You're only partially correct, the Devils could offer enough to land Drai but there is no way they'd be willing to part with the pieces that would be required.
AKA Hughes x2 + Blackwood + Smith + 2022 1st unprotected

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If you'll notice in the OP I didn't ask for draft picks and prospects because I think they should be looking at upgrading players not re rebuilding
That's a problem though.
---NJD have a very thin UFA list. *Vesey, Subban, Geertsen, Suppose some team was interested there, realistically they offer nothing but meh picks, right?
---Here's your RFA list. * Zacha, Boqvist. What team is giving up a better player coming back? It's going to be a draft pick, and maybe a mid-range prospect, right?

You're left with players like Severson, Smith, Mcleod, Bastian, Graves, Johnsson, Tatar and Sharangovich. I can't see better version of those players coming back unless NJD is adding a piece to make a trade. If you're looking for teams to buy on these players, I don't see how you upgrade them.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That's a problem though.
---NJD have a very thin UFA list. *Vesey, Subban, Geertsen, Suppose some team was interested there, realistically they offer nothing but meh picks, right?
---Here's your RFA list. * Zacha, Boqvist. What team is giving up a better player coming back? It's going to be a draft pick, and maybe a mid-range prospect, right?

You're left with players like Severson, Smith, Mcleod, Bastian, Graves, Johnsson, Tatar and Sharangovich. I can't see better version of those players coming back unless NJD is adding a piece to make a trade. If you're looking for teams to buy on these players, I don't see how you upgrade them.
Clearly they’d have to be sent in a package for upgrading, I’m thinking I should have held off until the off-season for this thread though, as I feel like it is a blow up thread rather than an upgrade thread

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
That's a problem though.

If the Devils are willing to pay a little extra in a three-way deal they might be able to find something. Selling off UFA at the deadline should be the main priority however. I'd take a flyer if the Devils are selling Sharangovich.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It doesn’t make sense for NJ to trade players with term left absent a clear upgrade. Doubt many teams are offering those. A lesser player and a middling pick are pointless. NJ has a couple of meh UFA dumps and will attempt to retool in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad