Seravalli: New Jersey Devils have been after Boeser for a few years now.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
That’s fair. It’s essentially what these Canucks-Devils proposals have gone around in circles on.

I can’t see the Devils giving up 2022 1st, L. Hughes, Holtz, or Mercer. Devils have a solid second tier of prospects beyond that to make a reasonable deal from. But at first glance, it’s not what Canucks would be looking for. Best hope for the Devils is someone in the new Canucks management group eyes a prospect that would finalize a deal.

Devils could realistically take on Dickinson or Poolman if they have to. Dickinson would probably require moving out Johnsson or Kuokkanen separately though.

Exactly. If Rutherford, who I presume would be much more aware of the Devils organization then I am, likes someone, I think that needs to be the catalyst for any trade talks, we just don't have a lot of needs the Devils are able to cover, and viceversa.

Dickinson isn't beyond reclamation yet, but Poolman got beaten out by Schenn, and Hamonic, both of whom were expected to play behind him, I suspect. I don't know how what a deal would look like for either, but honestly, unless we have a bigger deal that needs cap space, I don't see either of them being an issue big enough to require anything major to move them. And honestly, I haven't seen enough of Poolman under Boudreau to completely write him off yet, because not being good under Green isn't really as damning a sentiment as it used to be.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
A Zacha basis for Boeser would be such an underwhelming and frankly disappointing deal. Addresses very little to no organizational needs.

As a Devils fan I agree, on the other hand I don't know what else you can get in terms of youn-ish NHL talent. If you're willing to deal Boeser for futures you should be able to get more (although probably not from NJ).

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If ELC is the reason you wouldnt tade Holtz then fair enough. but if you dont want to trade Holtz for Boeser from a skill and perspective then Id have to disagree.

Yes Holtz is putting up nice numbers at the AHL ( 33 pts in 28 AHL games)..... guess what Boeser was doing at same age...29 goals in 62 games in the NHL.

Boeser has been around for a while now that its easy to forget that he is only 24 yrs old.

Holtz’s numbers put him on a pretty solid path to putting up Boeser numbers in 3-4 years.

Devils do need some scoring right now to push for the playoffs in the next couple years and can’t afford to wait. But in an ideal timeline, Holtz on his ELC in that second and third year if it slides will be incredible value on that deal. I can’t see them giving that up.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I like both teams well enough but I would really tip my hat to the Devils if they picked up Boeser. Looking where that group is, that would be a great addition for them.

That said, after reading into what JR said, I'm wondering if the deal wouldn't mean more geared towards Miles Woods rather than Zacha. I have a gut feeling that if a trade did go down with Boeser going to Jersey, it would be like Miles Woods + 2nd coming back, maybe even adding a prospect in there like Nolan Foote.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Thanks!
We are not complete Aholes, I mean yeah we're from Jersey and that's got its own special thing. But I like to think we are somewhat knowledgeable. We dot get it right each time, but most of us have a decent idea of what we do/don't have.

As long as every can listen to why a deal is or isn't a fit, or why it's not good value, I think most fanbases will get along. But hell, we all have trolls. Ask certain other fans what they think of me, I'm sure the description would have be living under a bridge, asking riddles to allow safe passage.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Highly doubt you're walking away with Boeser without giving up one of those, but time will tell.

Obviously NJ would prefer to get it done for lesser pieces, but Van is in the driver seat here given he's an RFA and NJ has been after him for years.

I just can’t see it happening. I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if all of this news in recent weeks especially the Vancouver/NJ connections is to put pressure on NJ to budge on some of these assets.

Canucks can afford to wait right now until the off-season. Devils kind of need to inject some life into this team after a season that has quickly gone off the rails in every way possible. I don’t think Fitzgerald wants to end another season with a lifeless team just playing out their games.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Moving the 1st makes some sense, moving Holtz makes no sense. Everything else involved in the offer is just clutter to try and get the scale to balance, I don't know if Fitz is comfortable unloading the 1st for Boeser.

The offer the Devils board is contemplating right now is:
  • Zacha
  • Ty Smith
  • 2nd Rounder 2022
for Boeser

I dont see the Canucks having any interest in Ty Smith.

The Canucks of course have Hughes but they also have Jack Rathbone who is very similar skillset to Ty Smith and is also an undersized offensive Dman

Rathbone is a pure offensive magician. 21 points in 19 AHL games as rookie and was just named AHL player of the week.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Rutherford has reportedly squashed any rumor that Garland is available. He hasnt done the same for Boeser/Miller.

What do devil fans think of these propsals

1st round pick 2022 (top 3 protected)
3rd round pick 2022
Reilly Walsh

for

Boeser
5th round pick

or

Holtz
2nd round pick
4th round pick

for

Boeser
5th round pick
Nope. Too much for Boeser given his contract situation. Holtz is contract controlled for two more seasons and has been absolutely lights-out in the AHL.

Reactions: MakoSlade

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I like both teams well enough but I would really tip my hat to the Devils if they picked up Boeser. Looking where that group is, that would be a great addition for them.

That said, after reading into what JR said, I'm wondering if the deal wouldn't mean more geared towards Miles Woods rather than Zacha. I have a gut feeling that if a trade did go down with Boeser going to Jersey, it would be like Miles Woods + 2nd coming back, maybe even adding a prospect in there like Nolan Foote.

In what world does 30 yr old Tyler Toffoli get more in a return than 24 yr old Brock Boeser?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
A Zacha basis for Boeser would be such an underwhelming and frankly disappointing deal. Addresses very little to no organizational needs.

There isn't anything saying he's the base of a deal, just that they are interested in him thus would likely be part of the deal.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
There isn't anything saying he's the base of a deal, just that they are interested in him thus would likely be part of the deal.

In any Zacha for Boeser deal Zacha cant be the main piece going back to Van. Dont mind him being part of it but not the main piece.

Canucks already have a big, skating, inconsisntent underperforming player, former 1st round pick, who doesnt know if hes a Centre or a Winger. His name is Jason Dickenson

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah makes sense. I assumed a little bit here but it's hard to see what else could be added that wouldn't make him the base of a deal. It doesn't seem like there's a great match.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
In any Zacha for Boeser deal Zacha cant be the main piece going back to Van. Dont mind him being part of it but not the main piece.

Canucks already have a big, skating, inconsisntent underperforming player, former 1st round pick, who doesnt know if hes a Centre or a Winger. His name is Jason Dickenson

Ya Zacha is a lot better than Dickenson.. Zacha has almost 100 more NHL points despite being 2 years younger.
People tend to think Zacha is a bad NHL player, he simply isn't. He's looked down on because the Devils took him so early but he's not a fringe NHL player, he's a legitimate middle 6 guy that can slide up or down the lineup, kill penalties and work on the PP

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Yeah makes sense. I assumed a little bit here but it's hard to see what else could be added that wouldn't make him the base of a deal. It doesn't seem like there's a great match.

I mean it's a fair assumption when he's the only player that we've heard Vancouver having interest in, but the Devils have a lot of interesting pieces depending on if Vancouver wants to rebuild or reload.
They also have cap space and that is a real asset in today's NHL

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I dont see the Canucks having any interest in Ty Smith.

The Canucks of course have Hughes but they also have Jack Rathbone who is very similar skillset to Ty Smith and is also an undersized offensive Dman

Rathbone is a pure offensive magician. 21 points in 19 AHL games as rookie and was just named AHL player of the week.
Is Rathbone OK after that hit last night?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Ya Zacha is a lot better than Dickenson.. Zacha has almost 100 more NHL points despite being 2 years younger.
People tend to think Zacha is a bad NHL player, he simply isn't. He's looked down on because the Devils took him so early but he's not a fringe NHL player, he's a legitimate middle 6 guy that can slide up or down the lineup, kill penalties and work on the PP

Yep, nice complimentary player, cant be the main piece going back for Boeser though.

There's just no way other teams cant beat an offer as Zacha being the main piece.

Heck a 1st round pick is probably a better asset than Zacha .

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Wood would be interesting. Not sure if the Devils are interested in that though, he’s a flawed player but the Devils seriously missed him this year until they got Bastian back to replace some of what he brings.

It could make for some interesting shake up deals though.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Yep, nice complimentary player, cant be the main piece going back for Boeser though.

There's just no way other teams cant beat an offer as Zacha being the main piece.

Heck a 1st round pick is probably a better asset than Zacha .

Depends on the 1st round pick, if it's a mid to late 1st you're better off with the proven NHL player if it's a top 10 pick you take your chances.
I'll say the same thing to you that I've already said in this thread, Zacha is the only player we have heard Vancouver is interested in, so it makes sense that he'd be part of the trade.... It doesn't mean he'd the main piece of the trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad